4.1 dead need color code for resistor r12

rodspc

For the record,

The value of R12 resistor is 680 OHMs. I was able to measure mine and replace it before it become a piece of black carbon. As for the wattage, according to it's physical size, it looked like a 1W unit and that's what I replaced it with. However, thinking back, I should have replaced it with a 2W unit to provide a bit of safety....

Another resistor that usually gets burnt (mine did) is R26 (located above R12). Once again, I measured it and replaced it before it became a piece of black carbon. The value of R26 is 56K. Once again I replaced it with a 1W unit according to it's physical size. I should have held out for a 2W unit.

All of the resistors I used were 2%.

Richard

----------------

On 11/7/2004 11:26:33 PM rodspc wrote:

blue gray brown red ? red can't be the last color how about gold or silver which is gold=5% and silver=10%

----------------

thought red was %2 maybe 5 is the lowest (i dont really know)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It does look a little worn out. Just replace it. R26 is 56K - I believe that it is a 1 Watt resistor but judging from the heat, you should replace it with a 2 Watt one just in case. As for R12, don't worry about if it is off by a couple of ohms - that's what suppose to happen. However, if it looks discoloured like the other one, you should just replace it at the same time.

• 1 year later...

I have the same problem with my Promedia 4.1. Plugged it out, plugged it back in and nothing. But what I notice on mine is if I wait for 3-4 days, and then plug it in again, it would magically turn on again!

I tried checking the inner circuit, the resistors and capacitors on the board do not have any charring/blemish. Fuse is also fine.

Does any electrical engineer in this forum know why this is happening? Let's say if a resistor did blew, is it possible for it to "heal" itself after a certain period of time?! Or maybe this has something to do w/ transformer discharging leftover magnetism? (sorry, just thinking out loud, I deal w/ software, not hardware :))

Thanks in advanced!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am the person that posted "Sub making Rumbling Noise" on 1-13. I read your reply here and that caused me to open up my sub. I found the R-12 and R-26 you mentioned. My R-12 has a brownish coloring around it on the board and the coating on the R-26 is all cracking and flaking off.

So do you think that perhaps this is what is causing my Sub to make these intermittant rumbling noises? Did you have the same problem and did these replacements fix it?

I notice that usually when I first turn on the speakers its fine for a while then it warms up and the noises start. Even with the computer off the sub will make these rumblin noises.

I think I can easily remove and replace the resistors if I can find the replacements. I emailed Klipsch to see if they can send them to me.

Thanks for any input, I greatly appreciate it. John