buying heritage

tglahn17

Hi, all,

I'm thinking about getting some Heritage speakers for my hi-fi. The advice I'm getting points to La Scala or Cornwall. I've seen some used ones on Internet sites like ebay. But these speakers must cost as much in shipping as their listed prices. What are the suggested retail prices for these speakers? Maybe I can find a dealer that offers free delivery. Thanks,

Marksdad is right, of course, but $150 is $150. Keep an eye out on Audiogon and Ebay for Heritage dealers near you.

Another good, or perhaps better, reason to buy locally is that these behemoths need to well packed or can sustain serious damage. Heresies are not too much of a problem, but Cornwalls, Belle, LaScalas and yipes -- Klipschorns --- well, much better to show up at the guy's door with a friend and a minivan.

That being said, I've driven almost 10 hours each way for a nice deal. Win (Dodger here) found a nice pair of walnut Klipschorns for $1200 in Rochester, NY. Living in the Boston area, I rented a minivan for a day, took the seats out, drove out starting at 5 am, and got back home by 6 pm the same day. Total cost was about $60, plus gas and lunch for Win, Doug and me. We could have shipped those babies, but at what cost and at what peril?

Bottom line for me is to drive and fetch them and not leave a good pair of Heritage in the hands of UPS, FedEx, or your favorite air freight company.