Which One Wouls You Choose...Toshiba Cinema Series 65" or Mitsubishi RPTV 65"

cob1708

Well guys...

I'm now down to purchasing the TV for my HT System. Needless to say I have spent much more money on this system then I was planning to. As mentioned we are moving into a new house and I am setting the basement up for youth ministry and I wanted a system that would shake, rattle & roll the youth while we watched movies or listened to music. For those who have been following my progress I started with blank slate a little over a month ago. My system as of this point is made up of the following:

Front Speeakers-Khorns

Rear speakers-Cornwalls

Center Speaker-Heresy but good chance I will be switching to a Cornwall

Sub-SVS PB12 Ultra/2

Audio-Halo C1/A52

DVD-Denon 3910

TV-not selected.

I realize that LCD and DLP is the new wave but with the money I have left that is allocated to my HT, I think I will go with one of the above TVs. Soooooooo...my questions to you Do you have any comments on the above TVs. One thing I do knowIf you all have a HT system then you have to have some form of TV/Projector. You help as always is appreciated.

Thanks!!

9.gif

Are you looking at the 4:3 versions or the 16:9 versions?

And while I can respect your need to stay within budget, if you're looking to WOW folks with video as much as with your audio (the two really should go hand-n-hand IMHO), then I would ask that you at least look at a Samsung DLP TV. It will blow your mind as to what image it can produce from a lowly $180 DVD player. Feed it a Hi-Def and LOOK OUT! Another thing to consider is that it will accept a PC input which might be good for presentations to your youth or whomever else.

Me? I like the Mitsu products. But I'm prejudice 'cause I own one. The Toshiba is a nice product, but I've seen some great images on certain sets of theirs and some not so hot picture quality on others..

Tom

My wife and I also fell in love with the Samsung DLP units. Unfortunately, we couldn't justify the price. We settled on a Toshiba HF83, a 51" rear projection model. It has a nice, bright picture that I prefer to the Mits I've seen. The Mits look softer to me, but we're talking a matter of taste here. One big difference is that the Mits has its screen about a foot higher off the ground than the Toshi. That may be an advantage in your room, but it was a deal-breaker in mine. Like most sets Toshi did come out of the box with its settings way too hot, so I used the Digital Video Essentials disk to tame the beastie. It does have a slight red push, but if I didn't see it in the calibration tone scales I'd never notice it. For ~$1600 -- half the DLP -- it's a great set.

Tom, do you know the model for that DVD payer? Mine's about up for replacement.

Thanks!

Cob,

Why not go with a projector and screen. It takes up very little room and the pictures are just outstanding. I bought an Infocus SP4805 DLP with a 106"diag screen. The picture is incredible and talk about WOW factor. Paid 1600.00 for both. Great thing is when not in use I can just roll the screen up.

As a new owner of a Mitsubishi WD 52525 52" DLP RPTV, I am extremely satisfied with it. I got mine for what was to me a very good price $2500+tax. So I can only recommend what I have experience with. The picture is great, exceptional detail and clarity. My next move is to upgrade my cable to COX HD service. Plan on hosting my Super Bowl party in HD(assuming there is an HD broadcast) this time gotta love that2.gif If the 65" Mitsubishi DLP is within your reach I would say go for it. I still need to run my DVE on it as some of the settings need some fine tuning but I am very happy so far.

My 45" Mits projection TV has been in use for 10 years and is still going strong. I have at least 6 friends that also have Mits projection TV's from 1 year to 5 years old and none have had any problems. I don't know of anyone with a Toshiba for comparison.

I can't wait to move into my new house so I can replace the 45 with the Mits 65.

FWIW, I also have a 27" Mits that is about 15 years old without a problem.

----------------

On 11/16/2004 5:41:38 PM Olorin wrote:

$2500? That's a deal. Where?

----------------

Tweeter, combo of a motivated sales manager and it being the last one they had. They were making room for incomming stuff for post Turkey day sales. He had dropped the price and threw his sales pitch and I kind of said well thats nice. Then he dropped it to what I paid for it. I liked it, it fit my budget so now its in my HT/great room. Worked out good for me. 9.gif

I've had my 61" Toshiba RPTV (61H70) for about four years now. It has been a great set! Never a problem, even after I moved. I finally got the HD DirectTv, what a sweet picture! Mine is a 4:3 set, which I'm glad I have... for now. As more HD programing is offered, I'm sure the upgrade bug will strike. The Mits 73" is a strong contender, and you cannot ignore front projection units with their huge pictures. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Toshiba, but most Mits feedback is also very positive. Sorry, that doesn't really help you make your choice. Good Luck!