Matrin Logan Prodigy or Definitive Technology BP7000SC

mmiles

I've never heard Definitive Technology speakers that did not sound very, very good. Even in much less than ideal set-ups and surroundings. Martin-Logans on the other hand, just aren't my cup of tea. All the ones I've heard have had an excellent midrange, but the highs were too directional and the bass just OK.

I'm a very happy owner of a Definitive Technology home theater system AND a pair of LaScalas (original owner, vintage 1980's). As long as you have the room you can have your cake and eat it too!

Home Theater -

Front: DefTech BP3000TL

Center: DefTech 3000C/L/R

Rear: DefTech BP2002TL

Denon AVR5700 receiver

Pioneer SD-643HD5 (64" CRT RPTV)

DirecTV TiVo

Sony DVD 5-disk changer

Living Room -

Klipsch LaScala speakers

Luxman Receiver

Thorens turntable

Sony CD

Master Bedroom Theater -

Sony Wega 36" flat screen

R-V1105 Yamaha Receiver with 5 Bose speakers

DirecTV TiVo

Sony DVD

Sony 8mm video deck & VCR

MM - given only those 2 choices, I'd personally go with the Martin Logans. But I guess it depends on what kind of music you listen to, and what the HT/music breakdown is.

Magic Mountain Dan - good god, those are QUITE the setups you have there! Awesome component selection! So I take it you're a big fan of Six Flags amusement parks? Oh, and to answer your signature question, how about a pair of Lamm ML2.1 monoblocks? Only $29,290 a pair.

For music with good electronics I vote for Prodidgy...if you are playing techno, high spl club music, etc. then defTech

I find the higher end ML's to be magical....

I've only heard the $3k/pr deftech speakers and didn't find them to be my taste except for movies and dance music.

others you may want to explore listing most expensive first:

* epiphony (a buzz at CES...great mag reviews..off axis imaging not great)

* VMPS RMx (dealer asking buyers why pay more?

* Onix Strata Grande - future

* GR Research Alpha - DIY affordable

----------------

On 11/12/2004 3:13:04 AM nicholtl wrote:

MM - given only those 2 choices, I'd personally go with the Martin Logans. But I guess it depends on what kind of music you listen to, and what the HT/music breakdown is.

Magic Mountain Dan - good god, those are QUITE the setups you have there! Awesome component selection! So I take it you're a big fan of Six Flags amusement parks? Oh, and to answer your signature question, how about a pair of Lamm ML2.1 monoblocks? Only $29,290 a pair.

----------------

Thanks for the compliment! Actually, I'd like to upgrade my DefTech fronts to the 7000s or 7002s. And I'd like to get separates (more power). While I'm wanting, I really want to figure out what amp to power my LaScalas and what, if anything to get in terms of a crossover upgrade.

Anyway, I used to live on Magic Mtn Parkway and still live near the park in Sylmar. Not a big fan but they sure have some super coasters there...

----------------

On 11/12/2004 3:13:04 AM nicholtl wrote:

----------------

Thanks for the compliment! Actually, I'd like to upgrade my DefTech fronts to the 7000s or 7002s. And I'd like to get separates (more power). While I'm wanting, I really want to figure out what amp to power my LaScalas and what, if anything to get in terms of a crossover upgrade.

Anyway, I used to live on Magic Mtn Parkway and still live near the park in Sylmar. Not a big fan but they sure have some super coasters there...

Mike -- there is no way to predict what you will like best, and advice is pretty much worthless -- you just have to go listen. Personally, I like ribbons, and would probably go with Magnepan or VMPS. OTOH, I've never heard a DT product in a decent setup. What you really oughta do is send me your RF-7 and RC-7 networks. A little money there might make you forget you even thought about settling in with something else.

I got your email Dan, I just haven't worked my way down to it yet. I should be able to get to it after church tomorrow.

This a serious apples and oranges kind of thing. One is built around the idea of low distortion/high sensitivity allowing the use of lower powered pure Class A solid state or tube amps, has an emphasis on dynamics/transients, ultimate retreival of low level information buried in the recordings, and controlled directivity to minimize room boundry effects. The other uses cones and domes and makes use of the room boundaries to project an artifical 3D soundfield. It's like going to Bob Evans with someone and having them ask you if they should have steak and eggs or pancakes for breakfast -- and why.