Denon 3805 or HK7300???

soulman

I'm looking at these two receivers as an upgrade to an Integra 6.2 I have right now. I have the RF7/RC7/RS7's in a 5.1 config. in a room 14x20' I would like to stay around $1000-1200. The Denon 3805 seems to be a huge "winner" and can pick this up a Magnolia. The HK is at onecall.com, which is in my local town, Spokane, so I can't compare them at the same place. Onecall and Magnolia don't sell klipsch anymore either. 8.gif

Anyway, it's would be hard for me to compare, as I don't have any spare Klipsch speakers to tote around. I would love to hear any opinions. Thanks alot!

Scott

3.gif

I have had the 3805 for several months now. It takes a while to get through the various configuration setups, but it is driving my Forte's(Front and rears)with little effort, in a 7.1 configuration.

I have read that some people with less efficient speakers, are using the "pre-outs" on the 3805 patched to another amp to drive their speakers louder.

I'm happy with it, and I'm glad I made the decision to get it when I did.

Soulman,Ive owned H/K receivers for 26 yrs in a row! A claim probably no one here can make.

So I am very familiar with H/K sound

One thing that about H/K is that they do NOT hype their specs,and I have never heard of a H/K having problems driving any loudspeaker that Im aware of.

Most people are biased about the gear they own,myself included.

H/K is seldom the first on the block to get the latest bell or whistle,but I veiw this as a good thing.

If you want more surround effects,input/outputs that type of stuff maybe the Denon would be a better option.If a better sound

quality is your goal then I think you will like the 7300.

Klipsch RF-7s have an impedance dip down to 3 ohms in the woofer section. This translates to a need for a very robust amp.

The H/K 7300 is reviewed in the November Sound & Vision mag. With 7 channels driven, it produced 139 watts into 8 ohms. This is way better than the Denon can produce with all channels driven.

If you want the room correction feature, I recommend the Pioneer Elite VSX-56TXi or the 54TX. They make rated power with all cahnnels driven.

The Denon has very good features, but an outboard amp would be needed to get the dynamics that the RF-7s can produce.

Bill

4 votes for HK, and 4 votes for Denon. Looks like I cant go wrong with either, except MrMagoo just sold me on the H/K because of the amp section power. 139 watts??? wow!5.gif Is that measure from 20-20K or at 1K? Also, does either one have a digital volume control? One that increases in a linear fashion? Good bass management on the H/K? Interesting reading!

Scott

1.gif

Some stand alone digital amps are ok, but in receivers I'd go with traditional amps. The H/Ks run 75 amps peak to peak. That is very hard to beat in a receiver. My Sunfire separate amp runs 80 amps peak to peak.

On the H/K AVR-7200 you need to verify that it has a sufficient number of digital inputs. The 7300 shows twice as many digital inputs per the OneCall web site. They are probably the same, but you will need to verify it.

The 7300 has a video scaler built into it. The Yamaha Z-9 has problems with its video scaler. I'd look at the video on the 7300; on paper, it has some very nice features.

Bill

I have a 3805 but I think there is a Pioneer that is a pretty tough challenger at the moment. For sound and less features at a higher price some like the Rotel.

You can't go wrong with the Denon 3805...great features for under $1k..nice room EQ (need to buy the mic) and you can add a MC amp and then swap the AVR for a pre-pro as anice upgrade path.

There are also new pre/pro and MC amps coming in the $1200 price range from other suppliers...also there may be some new stuff coming from outlaw in the spring that might challenge the typcial $1k AVRs

I've had my 7200 for about a year. It has tremendous, clean power especially when you consider that it is a receiver, not an amp/prepro. S&V measured it in the 2 channel mode and it puts out over 190 watts! I love the way it sounds with the Klipsch Reference series. I was fortunate enough to get one during the model closeout for about $950.00 (about a grand less than msrp). The 7300 has slightly more power and I believe video upconversion. If you can get one at a decent price you will not regret it. Carl

Hey Soulman, If you didn't buy anything yet. J&R has the 7300 for $1399.00 & free shipping. Don't know when the sale will end and they are a authorized seller. I am still deciding between the 630 or 7300. Money is a factor for me. Website www.jandr.com. I think that Harman Kardon is coming out with a new line. I think I read somewhere they are putting a EQ in the new 635.