OT: Under Armour- great in the cold

tpg

Well, I've taken a liking to biking (hehe) recently and enjoyed a month or two of nice weather to bike in. Well, its gotten really cold and rainy recently... but I think I might have found the solution.

I accidentally found something called Under Armour Cold Gear. Maybe someone's heard of it... It is a specially designed 2-layer fabric that form-fits to your body. The inner layer retains your body heat and picks up any moisture on your skin and moves it to the outer layer, which is a special fabric that dries four times quicker than regular cotton. This supposedly results in you being comfortable, dry, and warm, while still allowing you to be active and do whatever outside. Well, it works. Quite well, too.

I picked up a top and bottom of this stuff and tested it out. I put it on as my base layer, with a pair of thin khaki's with a hole in the knee on the outer side, along with a long-sleeve button down shirt. I rode my bike downtown and back (~3.6 mile trip) maintaining a ~12-15 mph pace and was absolutely HOT the whole way there and back. It is 45 degrees out there, with a 15-20mph wind going on (which did really get the better of my throat... man it hurt to breathe). And here I am bicycling, and sweating. Needless to say, I am a believer now... and will buy some more of this stuff soon (in a different color, though- our local store didn't have black or white in my size, so I got stuck with green).

It is kind of pricey, $50 each for the top and bottom... but I think it is pretty much essential for outdoor activity in the winter. I am a hunter, as well, and will never leave home without this stuff on. Thanksgiving I'll give it another good test at my Grandparents' farm- it's usually about 20 degrees with anywhere from 5-30mph winds at 6AM when we go out to pheasant hunt. We'll have to see...

Sorry you all had to read that... I am fairly excited by the fact that it worked out so well. 1.gif

----------------

On 11/12/2004 9:27:41 PM tpg wrote:

Thanksgiving I'll give it another good test at my Grandparents' farm- it's usually about 20 degrees with anywhere from 5-30mph winds at 6AM when we go out to pheasant hunt. We'll have to see...

----------------

Be sure to grease-up the axles real good, so they don't squeek and scare the pheasants. Probably best to park before you shoot, too.

----------------

On 11/12/2004 9:27:41 PM tpg wrote:

It is kind of pricey, $50 each for the top and bottom... but I think it is pretty much essential for outdoor activity in the winter.

----------------

I've was wondering how good thier "Cold Gear" was? I have one of thier "Warm Gear" shirts I wear when working out at the 'Y and I like it (although somewhat pricy at $25, but I manage to get it on sale at the local Sports Authority for around $15). I'll have to go and check that out, especially since I do need some new bottoms, as well as I'd like to get another base-layer shirt.

You mention $50 for each. Hell, that is better than the $120 I spent two seasons ago on a Spyder ski shirt! But, man, is that thing friggan comfortable and WARM!. Last year, I was out there on the mountain when it was only 8 degrees, and I was still warm. Those ski patrol jackets are really nice also.

If only you knew how much money I had tied up just in ski-wear (not including the skis, boats, bindings and poles). I could've bought another friggan pair of RF-7s!

I do wear it under another layer, yes... but I was wanting something to wear under my normal not-bike-riding clothes. So, white would be the better choice there... but I also am wanting the non turtleneck kind for that.

Fini- Well, I don't exactly hunt pheasants from a bike... I'm not quite that talented. lol We just walk the fields for hours and hours... no hunting dog, so we have to cover everything. It is quite cold out there usually...

Skonopa- I can see where you could spend a lot on cold weather clothes... I have a parka and some pants for cold weather hunting that cost quite a bit... I've never gotten cold wearing those, but you can barely move there's so much padding! I guess the only thing that matters is warmth...

I just returned a little while ago from a biking trip up at the lake. Hills and hills and hills.... 50 degrees and 10-20 mph winds again. I was sweating within 15 minutes. Had to take off my outer shirt and gloves to keep warm (not hot). I think its safe to say the stuff works pretty well.

----------------

On 11/13/2004 9:14:05 PM tpg wrote:

Skonopa- I can see where you could spend a lot on cold weather clothes... I have a parka and some pants for cold weather hunting that cost quite a bit... I've never gotten cold wearing those, but you can barely move there's so much padding! I guess the only thing that matters is warmth..

----------------

In my case, I do need to still be able to move freely (skiing as well as work any accident scenes), and stay warm. Thus, a lot of my skiing clothing is the fancy space-age materials that are supposed to be thin, lightweight, breathable, and warm. I'll tell you this, Gortex does indeed work! 10.gif

Ha, I used to ride my mountain bike all the time in the winter, and commuted to work on it. I loved seeing peoples reaction to what they thought was some nut riding beside them through the snow. What they don't realize is that usually it's only the first few minutes that you are cold, once your body temperature goes up and you are wearing all the necessary biking clothing, along with the lobster fingered gloves LOL, it's really not bad.... although it is a workout don't get me wrong. Needless to say my bike was stolen, and with it went my cycling fun. I was telling my wife not to long ago though that maybe this summer we should check into getting bikes again, it really is fun, and IMO beats running :)

Skonopa... I tried skiing... once lol. I think I was under too much peer pressure at the time. First day on the slopes, we went up and down the bunny hills, and then progressed to the medium sized hill. I thought I was doing a pretty good job, although I pretty much was just tucking and going straight down the hill like a bullet. As they say hindsite is 20/20, and looking back I shouldn't have gave into the pressure and went down the main hill with all the moguls (sp?) I was doing ok weaving around the first couple, but as gravity took over, and I had so much speed going I hit one mogul straight on, landing on the one after... and the rest is all a blur lol, I was tumbling down the hill just like the guy when they show "the agony of defeat". When I had finally stopped towards the bottom, I had no skis, was missing a ski pole, and found out later I had a broken thumb. I did however provide as entertainment for the people riding the ski lift above me, they were all cheering. Worst part was a girl then pulls up with all the stuff I had lost... man, that about did it for my skiing career. :)