For us classical buffs

davmar

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/shows/tchaikovsky4/

In this behind-the-scenes PBS documentary, conductor Michael Tilson Thomas takes viewers on a guided tour of one of the towering achievements in classical music, Tchaikovsky's "Symphony No. 4." Thomas, who describes Tchaikovsky as "one of the great melody writers of all time," explores each of the symphony's four movements, providing insightful commentary on the powerful and vibrant emotions conveyed in the composer's music. In addition, he introduces individual members of the San Francisco Symphony, who explain the challenges and joys of the music Tchaikovsky penned for their instruments -- including the violin, oboe, bassoon, piccolo, bass, and timpani.

Tchaikovsky is certainly one of the greatest composers in history. A few months ago I had a chance to hear the 4th symphony live for the first time at Carnegie Hall, performed by the Amsterdam Philharmonic orchestra and while I was familiar with the piece, I was still amazed.

It's indeed a great piece of music but I like all his other symphonies as well (yes, even the less often performed 1-3). Try to listen to the last three symphonies in Mravinsky's DG recordings. In my opinion it is one of the most exciting sets of recorded symphonic music - and deserves a new/improved digital reincarnation - BTW: No.4 is available as a Speker's Corner vinyl reissue, but not the rest (as far as I know).

Wolfram

Yes indeed, hearing a symphony orchestra perform live any large composition from Tchaikovsky, Wagner, Beethoven, Brahms, and Mahler et al, is a mind-boggling experience! Our Klipsch can come damn close to representing a live event, but nothin' beats LIVE!

----------------

On 11/13/2004 3:42:57 PM dubai2000 wrote:

No.4 is available as a Speker's Corner vinyl reissue, but not the rest (as far as I know).

Wolfram

----------------

Wolfram, do you have a link on Speker's (Speaker's) Corner? Is that the Mravinsky 4th? I have an early DG LP that could use replacing. Thanks --

Larry

I was driving home from school on Thursday or Friday this week, turned on the radio to hear my daily dose of the increasingly frightening and unfortunate state of affairs in Iraq, and was greeted by some of the most incredible classical music I have heard. This indeed turned out to be by Tchaikovsky, but was different from some of the other compositions I have heard by him. This was much smaller in scale, more intimate, and really beautifully melodic. Unfortunately, traffic was heavy, and I was so focused on that that I was only able to hear that the piece was modeled after Mozart, whom I have heard Tchaikovsky respected greatly. It may even have been dedicated to the young, earlier composer. Are any of you (Wolfram, Larry, Jim -- anyone!)familiar with what this work may have been? I'm going to try to find it today, when Marie and I go out for our mid-morning coffee and CD treat at Starbucks/Barnes-n-Noble. I believe this particular piece was one of the selections on a CD selected by a North American ballet company -- again, all of this was heard in the background in crazy traffic, so I just didn't get the details!

Erik

That's a tricky one, Erik as Tchaikovsky's output is not exactly small. My guess: either a suite of one of his ballet scores or - if a cello was prominent - his so-called 'Rococo Variations. But of course it might have been something else, so good luck hunting 9.gif .

Wolfram

Tricky to answer that one Erik,

There is a wide choice. Tschaikovsky was influenced and to some extent in awe of Mozart, Beethoven and others.

Trying to figure out what could sound like Mozart, whilst not being an authoritive source on the man. I am assuming it was not something common like the Nutcracker.

Capriccio Italien? Slave March?

I am also assuming it was not a concerto - a symphonic piece...

The others (Wolfram, Larry et al.) will probably be better here than me.

It sounds like Tchaikovsky's Variations on a Rococo Theme for cello and orchestra, as Wolfram said. This is described as his homage to Mozart's era or the spirit of Mozart. While he uses very light scoring to capture that spirit, the theme is Tchaikovsky's own, with his usual mastery of melody. I can't find any other Tchaikovsky work for specifically cello and orchestra.

There are lots of recordings so you probably won't have trouble finding one. I don't really have a recommendation (I don't have a recording), but the Penguin guide, which is not always satisfactory for me or for many, does mention Rostropovich, cello, and the Berlin Philharmonic conducted by von Karajan.

Larry