Polk Audio

christjared

I have a pair of Monitor 10's that I bought in 1988 and they are still alive and kicking. They were outstanding speakers for their time period and they've stood the test of time. They are currently my surround speakers along with my RF7's, RC7 and RSW15 (yes, I know, kinda big for surround speakers, but I could not let go of them!). I can't compare them to the other but can say that I really have enjoyed mine since college! Good luck.

Though I have a pair of KG4's that I love the sound of, I haven't heard the Polks. However, for what it's worth, when we were packing/unpacking this summer, I ran across some old stereo type rags, one of which was the Audio Yearly Directory from like 90? 92? If I remember, I'll bring it in tmrw and at least be able to give you the published specs for it, assuming it was a current model at the time of the issue. I know, not the same as a listening review, but better than nothing. It also has a several page layout for Polk, a couple of them if I recall, maybe there are some review referances that could point you in some sort of direction for more information.

For what it's worth...

One 1 inch dome tweeter

Two 6 1/2 inch drivers

One 10 1/2 inch sub bass radiator

28H x 15W x 12D

25 Hz-25 kHz

-3dB limits 37 Hz-23 kHz

Recommended Amplification

20-250 watts/channel

Impedance

Compatible with 8 ohm outputs

Efficiency

89 dB

Shipping weight

46 lbs

Not sure what you're using for power, but with the KG4's having an efficiency rating of 94 dB, you'll need some kick to get the same volume levels you're used to. I'll see what else I can come up with.

Great speakers from an era when Polk Audio was building some really nice and some of their best stuff. They are not very efficient but they are smooth sounding with great low end extension. Get some of the other speakers from the era to match like the RTA-12C's or the SDA-2's or 1's. I had a pair of RTA-12C's but once I heard Klipsch Forte's the RTA-12C's got sold and I never looked back.