How much ventalation?

christjared

How much room does a receiver need to breath? Im getting in my new HK AVR-130 soon and I want to make sure it doesn't over heat(as I've heard is a problem with HK). My AV rack I made my self was to hold a Yamaha and that has plenty of room ontop and on the sides. The new receiver is 6.6 inches tall. My opening for the receiver slot is only 9 inches high. Is that enough room for it to oporate properly? If its not how could it breath better? The AV rack is made for my dorm room to fit under the desk where the chair is at usually. It houses my receiver, ps2, VCR and DVD player and is made out of veneered MDF it matches and fits perfectly in the room.

----------------

On 11/17/2004 7:42:53 PM christjared wrote:

How much room does a receiver need to breath? Im getting in my new HK AVR-130 soon and I want to make sure it doesn't over heat(as I've heard is a problem with HK). My AV rack I made my self was to hold a Yamaha and that has plenty of room ontop and on the sides. The new receiver is 6.6 inches tall. My opening for the receiver slot is only 9 inches high. Is that enough room for it to oporate properly? If its not how could it breath better? The AV rack is made for my dorm room to fit under the desk where the chair is at usually. It houses my receiver, ps2, VCR and DVD player and is made out of veneered MDF it matches and fits perfectly in the room.

----------------

if the top of the receiver is too hot to touch during operation - then it is probably not getting enough ventilation.....

read the following thread for more info....

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=56581&sessionID={C7BCF1C9-00D0-4A8D-8A75-AF83C15EC0AA}

(the above link doesn't seem to work unless you add the "}" symbol at the end of the url)

good luck!

1.gif

On 11/17/2004 7:42:53 PM christjared wrote:

How much room does a receiver need to breath?

See attached pic of my HK AVR-130. A digital cable box sits on top of it. I shimmed up the feet on the cable box with felt stick-ons so there is about 3/4" of space between it and the top of the receiver. The receiver runs nice and cool, just slightly warm/tepid to the touch. In fact, the cable box runs hotter. Tom

post-10590-13819259404052_thumb.jpg

under tech support, I posed a question very similar to this, asking about cooling fans. Check it out when you get the chance, cj. I'm running a yamaha also, and the instruction manual requires 20mm per side, and 30mm for the top, which is a lil outlandish, so I cheated and am building an a/v cabinet with circulation fans to reduce overheating from any number of sources, including the receiver.

hope this helps.

Set up as shown in the pic posted earlier sitting on top of the cabinet in the open, my AVR-130 receiver does not run hot at all even with the cable box on top of it. It is just slightly warm/tepid to the touch, even at loud volumes.

To be sure, the receiver is driving highly-efficient Klipschorns and the Belle Klipsch so that even at loud volumes it is still "loafing."

Of course if the receiver were more enclosed on a lower cabinet shelf, much less closed inside a cabinet, heat might be more of an issue especially in the latter case. I certainly would not put anything on top of the receiver if it were on a lower cabinet shelf or inside a cabinet. If I had to put it inside a closed cabinet I would consider also installing a cooling fan to exhaust air in the cabinet out the back. Tom

(more) I think your new 130 will be OK in the installation you described. But keep an eye on it and if it does get very warm to the touch, position it more out in the open.

Note that at least with mine, the receiver will "break in" over the first 100 or so hours of use. It will gradually assume a less dry and subtly but noticeably mellower, fuller tone in the lower-mid and bass as it settles in, very nice. Tom