LP labels: Is "Everest" a good one?

fini

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe Everest is a bargain label. I have quite a few from my thrift shop purchases. None of which seem to be stellar recordings and the vinyl is pretty flimsy which, by itself, doesn't mean much (just look at DGs) but combined with the sound quality leads me to believe they are low-end pressings.

I always seem to run across another label in bulk. I believe it's some sort of Classical Music Heritage Society label and all the covers are white (writing in black). Many are sealed but I've never purchased one. Anyone know of these?

everest1.jpg

Everest was an excellent, audiophile-grade label initially, when it was owned by Harry Belock. Bert Whyte recorded a lot of the performances that were issued, and used state-of-the-art, custom equipment. They may have been the first to record audio on 35mm film.

But Everest went under pretty fast, and the LPs were reissued by other companies. I believe the first label was the blue one, then the silver one, and the most frequently seen one is the last one in my picture. The earlier the pressings the better, as Steve Hoffman mentions. I haven't heard any of the DCC reissues; they should be great, but you'll never find them in thrift stores.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/archive/index.php/t-59.html

Here's Everest's tape "discography." Should be the same catalog number for LPs, except they would have a different prefix of letters. Most people seem to like the earlier recordings better:

http://www.r-vcr.com/music/prerecorded/everest.htm

Paul,

Interesting. I had an old mono copy of 3 Cornered Hat by Manuel DeFalla (sp?) that I thought was great. I later picked up a stereo record and thought it was totally lifeless (exact opposite of the mono cut). Possibly the stereo version was a reissue by the later Everest? I may still have the stereo version at home and will check the label and re-listen.

Used to play the monos using a GE VR-II.

Leo

Thanks for those links, Paul. Very interesting. Both LPs that are not still sealed are unfortunately the red label issues. There are a couple of sealed Vox Lps, as well as a few sealed Turnabouts. Does anyone know about those labels?

Interesting post Paul. Great info. Unfortunately, my Everest LPs look like the later pressings also.

I've never been very impressed with the VOX label either. I do have quite a few of those.

I have a pile of approximately 200 thrift shop/library LPs at home that I'm slowly going through. Last night I went through and cleaned a bunch. Talk about some dreadful LPs! Many were sealed and probably the best was a Galway plays Bach LP. Pretty good recording and enjoyable performance. An early 80s LP from Yes (the band), "Tormato" was abosolutly horrible. I couldn't get through the first song. I guess it wasn't one of their best studio efforts.14.gif I did find a mint Living Stereo copy of "Victory At Sea" which included a nice booklet. Wasn't the most thrilling listen but interesting nonetheless. Lots of guns and shouts of commands you'd hear aboard battleships. Another sealed LP I played was called "Desert Winds" (I think) and consisted of outdoor sounds and such. Very good recording but nothing I'd ever spend too much time with. I have a slowly growing pile of new give-aways if anyone is interested. It's probably close to 100 LPs at the moment.

----------------

On 11/18/2004 1:44:31 PM fini wrote:

You actually
listen
to these things??

----------------

At least once. I've got to get my 50 cents worth!3.gif Some are really suprising (in a good way). I figure if 1 in 10 is worth keeping, I've done well. $5 ain't bad for an LP you'll play on a regular basis. My success rate is probably about 1 in 5.

Anyone in the market for a beautiful copy of Living Stereo's "Victory At Sea?" I hear it's an extremely valuable collector's item but the first $50 from a forum member takes it. Only because you guys are my buddies.12.gif9.gif

Oh yeah, I'll throw in another 100 LPs of my choice. Shipping included.2.gif

Gary,

I have several of those "Musical Heritage Society" or whatever records. They looked to be in pretty good shape. haven't had a chance to listen yet. They seem to not be shy of less popular works and composers.

For some reason, I'm reminded of an incident at a thrift last week. I was shuffling through the bin at one I don't get to very often, and I noticed a duo album with Gerry Mulligan and Dizzy. I pulled it out, obviously to check it over. Vinyl was beat, but when I looked at the back cover, I recognized the name as the deceased father of a guy I played and hung out with in college. Said father was a very talented (but woefully drug-addled) conductor and jazz trumpeter that was good friends with my dad in the 70's. As far as I know, he had never lived within 75 miles of the store. Wierd.

I must be on the road to recovery from VRICD (vinyl related impulse control disorder), as I somehow managed to put it back in the bin.

As I suspected my Everest copy seems to bear no relation to any of the information posted either in Pauls message nor in the links.

For a start off - it is a gold label. and the number is 3113 (one of the links covers up to 3111 - typical).

Anyway for what it is worth details are:

Beethoven symphonies 2 & 4

Josef Kripps

London Symphony

Hollywood California

On the front at the top of the cover it says "Everest / The first in 35 mm recording"

It is not a dreadful recording - but it is rather too hissy for me.

I am several Vox recordings - some excellent - some diabolically bad.