OT - is this happening to anyone else???

maxg

Over the last week or so I have noticed that on all the sites I visit - on both my home PC and my Office PC the adverts are not appearing.

Hardly a reason to cry I know - but pages look a bit odd with the cant load page message all over the place.

Happens on many pages now - I wonder if there is some piece of software required to view the ads that I am missing - or are advertisers not turning up these days?

Most puzzling....

This will block most of them

http://www.everythingisnt.com/hosts.html

it creates entries in your host file that don't allow your computer to connect to various advertisement pages.

I use that in conjunction with firefox browser. Which has good popup blocking and some ad-blocking installed by default.

It's also safer to use than Internet Explorer since it won't let activex install all sorts of random spyware on your system. It has tabs too, so you can have like 10 websites open and only take up one space on your task bar.

For fun you can use spywareblaster, it prevents adware from getting installed on your computer in the same way norton prevents viruses from getting on.

I use adware and spybot in conjunction with each other for spyware removal

and if your antivirus is expired and your too cheap to buy a new one use AVG... they have a free version, which isn't as user friendly as norton, but seems to detect more viruses. and you don't have to waste 50 bucks on it each year.

Between loading the Microsoft WinXP service pack with all the security fixes, and using StopZilla, I have completely removed all the pop up adds. I see StopZilla update itself almost daily and I never get any pop-ups. The Microsoft WinXP service pack virtually eliminated all the email spam I used to get as well.

So it didn't happen by itself for me Max.

Interesting Mark - but I am not talking about pop-up ads - I am talking about banner ads - which are gone leaving nothing but white space and one of half a down messages - the saddest of which is "click here" all alone in the top corner of a larfe and presumably expensive box.

This is happening on both my office and home computers - the office one has also installed SP2 but not the home one. Bot hare running Norton AV 2004 software.

Mystified!!

----------------

On 11/18/2004 10:34:20 AM maxg wrote:

Over the last week or so I have noticed that on all the sites I visit - on both my home PC and my Office PC the adverts are not appearing.

Hardly a reason to cry I know - but pages look a bit odd with the cant load page message all over the place.

Happens on many pages now - I wonder if there is some piece of software required to view the ads that I am missing - or are advertisers not turning up these days?

Most puzzling....

----------------

Dammit, just erased everything I had written!

Max is there a small window under your address bar that says xxx blocked or does it say site popups allowed? If you click it will change, you need to let popups in to take advantage (?) of some of the ads and some of the sites. Randy

I think it has something to do with the upgrades to microsoft.