Pictures of a Solar Race Car I helped to build/race

eq_shadimar

I have just finished scanning in a bunch of negatives with my film scanner from the 1990 GM Sunrayce USA. This race was open to all Colleges across the Nation. It involved writing a proposal on how you would set up the team, get funding, build, and race a solar race car. I was one of the team co-captain's and I am really gald that I took this challenge. I am working on a web page that will detail the race route etc.. but for now here are the pictures if you are interested:

http://www.madtomstudios.com/coppermine/index.php?cat=11

Laters,

Jeff

Great photos! You should be very proud to have been part of this great event. I wish every automobile manufacturer in the world would take more notice to all the different alternative motive technologies available out there to make their cars and trucks less dependant on fossil fuels and more dependant on solar/battery/clean fuel alternatives. Are you still actively involved to some capacity in this?

Thanks for the kind wordsabout the pictures. Sadly I am not doing anything in this area at this time. After College I tried to find work doing something with solar powered or electric cars but most of the companies were Mom and Pop type of outfits. I have since been sidetracked into the computer arena.

It was great to travel 1100 miles from Orlando to Detroit on sunlight but then again we had a lead van, 2 chase vans, and a support Ryder truck traveling the whole way two so we really burned a bunch of gas too. Also it was not cheap to build. Our car cost $150,000. About $60K of that was for the Silver Cadinum batteries and another $70K was for the solar cells. The winning car cost over $3 million.

This was the first race like this in the USA and the numbers of people along the was and at the rest stops was staggering. The entire route was lined with people so it did raise the awareness of alot of people about solar energy.

Laters,

Jeff