Plasma vs. Projection

gcoker

I believe the half life of 5 years is based on 24hours a day.

for instance if the half life of a plasma is 40,000 hours then that is about 1600 straight days of viewing of about 5 years.

IMO if you are running your tv even 12 a day every day then you I feel you are missing out on life.

I love my plasma even though its only ED.

Sony grand wega is a great picture and the 50 inch can be had for less than $2500

----------------

On 11/26/2004 11:32:23 PM boomer9911 wrote:

CRT is obsolete and overpriced...
6.gif

That makes absolutely no sense.

As for CRT being obsolete, I think the professionals at "Home Theather and High Fidelity" are in disagreement with you.

is that info readily available to the public.

I would believe that to be true for the first few generations but I am sure the newer generations would have somewhat better life. but then again I am working off of what I read off the web and magazines.

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/plasmatv-lifespan.html

http://www.tvauthority.com/plasma-tv-technology.asp

http://hometheater.about.com/cs/television/f/aaplasmafaq2.htm

http://www.plasma.com/classroom/whatuneedplasma.htm

http://www.livingdigitalindia.com/content/home/2004/104090904.asp

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_5_1/plasmascreens.html

http://www.connectedhomemag.com/Articles/Print.cfm?ArticleID=41790&Path=HomeTheater

(this article does mention 10,000 hours for early adopters, but they don't define early adopters)

Bruins:

From the article you posted:

Numerous plasma TVs are starting to dim, according to users, who have started complaining to TV makers. Apparently, plasma TVs have a "half life" of 10,000 to 20,000 hours, during which time the brightness of the display panel degrades to half its original brightness. The result, of course, is a washed-out, less vibrant TV pictureexactly the opposite effect consumers were looking for when they purchased the sets. So what's a consumer to do? First, do some research: Apparently, this has been a known concern in plasma sets for some time, and the only recourse you have is an expensive repair

I have witnessed this phenomenon personally. When I worked for Best Buy, we had a Phillips 42" on the endcap display, and it ran (as did every other TV in the store) 15 hours a day, 7 days a week, for about 18 months before we open-boxed it and got rid of it. By the time we closed it out and replaced it with the newer update, the once stunning screen that overwhelmed all passers-by had become dull and lifeless, and the general commentary from those who looked at it was "There's no way I'd pay $5,000 for that!"

Now that's a mere 8,200 hours. Granted, it was second-gen, but if the difference is that dramatic on the front side of the unit's half-life....

I can't say I actually witnessed it on other plasmas in the store, because the model turnover was more like 10-12 months - they simply didn't keep them around long enough for it to recur.

And BTW - the "expensive repair" they mention? Doesn't exist. I checked with several manufacturers about "recharging" the TV's - it can't be done. Once that gas burns up, it's history.

From the first article (the one in which the author contends that the longevity is much higher)

As for the specific life spans of individual plasma display units, most manufacturers contend that their TVs last approximately 30,000 hours before reaching their half-lives under "normal" viewing conditions (i.e., with the CONTRAST set at around 50%).

I know of absolutely NO ONE who watches their television with the contrast set at 50%. I've looked at plasma televisions with the contrast at 50%, and frankly the "vibrancy" everyone crows about just isn't there. You pretty much need the contrast cranked up to get the real effect. Furthermore, he goes on to state that...

In brightly lit rooms, you will probably need to boost your CONTRAST settings.

So much for plasma being an advantage in a brightly lit room, which is what our friend who posed this question to begin with was looking for....

Finally, the other articles you posted are just too old to have any relevant experiential data. They parrot the manufacturers' claims about 30,000 hours half-life, which is just not a valid claim at this point. One of those articles mentions Fujitsu plasmas and states "42 inches is the largest model they have available" - Fujitsu released a 50" in early 2002 - nearly 3 years ago.

Griff

I would find it hard to believe that in three years the technology with each generation has not been improved. It is important to do the research on which set it rated better. Frankly if I was in the market BB would not be the first choice in making the purchase. If you get the extended warranty it covers the recharge which in itself can run up to $500 depending on how much gas is required. there is a sales pitch.

the contrast on my nec is less than 50% for DVD and a little over 50% for Cable inputs. Out of the box the plasma had the brigthness and contrast pumped way up. After calibrating in what I consider normal room lighting the constrast was lowered.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

cheers

Scott

i am in the process of moving my kv36XBR450 to my living room (on top of the ventless fireplace mantle) this will leave my ht room as a one-display room only...i have found that i RARELY use the 36"XBR in that room, and the Sony VPL-HS10 w/106" screen has done the display duties. the tv was originally designed to do HD-duty before i upgraded my old Sharp XV-Z1U to the HS-10 Sony, as well as 'casual' viewing, or when i wanted the lights on. we have other tv locations for 'casual' viewing, and the HS-10 does such a nice job of displaying all video sources that i always watch it in the ht room...having said that, i may get a LCD/DLP/CRT rear projection tv for the ht room's '2nd display' at a later date as depth is NOT an issue-i have a 36" deep 'stage' my racks are on anyway.

i personally like LCD/DLP rear-proj. tv's UNLESS you HAVE to have a 4 1/2 " deep display, and if you can darken the roon, a front projector is an excellent choice in many cases where 'thin is in'

avman

I have the Samsung DLP 61 inch HLN model, I think I have even seen these at Costco / Sams club here 3600 - 3800.

A lot of money for a HDTV yes.. Worth every cent? Yes.

Advantages over many TV's, HDTV's's you can read above. (plasma goes yellow, pixels go out, etc etc...) With DLP nothing "burns in the screen" so feel free to play video games or show computer feeds and your fine. Also different in the Samsungs over the other HDTV's that are DLP's, so far, Samsung uses a non glare lens. If you have windows behind you, you will not see them with the Samsung models. (Think non glare glass) So it looks good, day or night.(huge plus) It is 109 lbs (+ - ?) even with this huge 61" screen. And only 17" deep too.

As far as the lamp life.. I think it is stated in the literature at 6000 -8000 hrs when I asked the Samsung rep at CEDIA, he said, "Many were lasting 12-16k hrs." And at 200 dollars and 4 screws.... A very easy replacement job of the lamp, it is a no brainer.

OK, so I am sold, a yes a little biased, but I admit it. There is NOTHING like your team on monday night football on this screen or your favorite movie with the DVI output from your DVD player or any digital to even better stunning High Definition TV to compare to, just amazing!

If you take the pic and copy and paste it above my name, this is my family room. You can enlarge it too. You can see how I built the TV into a cabinet. (Or better stated, the TV cabinet around the HDTV too. (Hidden verticle Cornwall on its side as the center channel speaker as well.) It really tuned out great!

I looked and studdied this for months. Compared stats, pluses vs minuses of a number of HDTV's. The added denile chip, and extra stuff on the Samsung models, make them good choices. I have had it here for just over a year and still very, very, happy with this purchase.

Roger

----------------

On 11/28/2004 9:09:59 PM Bruinsrme wrote:

If you get the extended warranty it covers the recharge which in itself can run up to $500 depending on how much gas is required.

----------------

Don't be fooled, friend. There is no such thing as "recharging" a plasma. The gas doesn't leak out, the degradation happens behind the gas. Once the brightness has sufficiently deteriorated, you're replacing the TV, because you can't just pop that thing open and replace the entire array.