Eico HF-86, HF-85 combo opinions

fini

HF-81 is pretty simple. I bought a really nasty one as my first tube project. I was able to teach myself to work on this stuff while rebuilding it. If you can turn one up somewhere, I'd go for it. I've replaced a bunch of stuff on mine, it's out in the living room hooked up to my Khorns right now. Sounds pretty good.

fini,

I believe the 86 is basically just the power amp stage of the 81, more or less. The 85 is the pre-amp section. I really don't know if there is much to be gained by separates in this case, you could just do an 81.

I have accumulated the PS and output trannies for a build project, but never have started on it. If you're interested I could be persuaded to part with them. Or maybe just go ahead and build one for you. Kudret has it right on the simplicity of the 86, but you do need a pre-amp for that.

That's a pretty sweet offer, Tom! I will keep that in mind, certainly. I am still anticipating the arrival of the Pilot 232 from Sheltie Dave. Perhaps I wil pick up the HF-85 as a pre for it? I dunno...The seller of the HF-86 and HF-85 is being a bit "incommunicato", which makes me a bit "leery". Also, I am a tad worried about the spelling of the words in quotation marks.

Well, I am going to pass on the 85 and 86. A local dude has them ending today on eBay. I emailed him asking for interior shots, and he said he couldn't provide them. I asked if I could drop by and inspect them. No way. So I then asked him if he'd allow me to make the sale conditional on my inspection. Nope. I can only assume he's hiding some flaws, so I won't be bidding.

It's too bad, they looked pretty good:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5734130352&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

click on his other items.