la scala advice

delano

Me Again,

Thanks for all the tube advice in my last post. Once again looking for advice.

I have a chance to buy a mint pair of 85' La Scala's for 1600 Canadian. are these a good year? and is this a good price? I have seen pictures and they are really mint. I would use them with the new tube amp I am going to buy.

Delano

Hi, Delano:

A good SET amp with a pair of La Scalas makes for a very nice combination. I agree with what others have said about trying as many different amps as you can -- both higher power and low. They all have merits, and it's nice to be able to have the opportunity to make a choice among those characteristics based on your listening preferences and tastes.

Good luck with your search!

Erik

Hi Again! What's the exchange rate for Canadian to American dollars? I'm thinking that 1600 = around 1200 american??? That would be a good deal if in fact they are mint. I own a pair of 86 Lascala's and am happy with them. There are opinions on whether or not these have the best sounding crossovers or not but that is pretty nitt picky.

Randy:

Crossovers are a breeze to change if you're not happy with what you have or want to try something else. They're also a breeze to make if you practice a little soldering. Bob C., Dean, and ALK also all do crossover work and upgrades if you would rather not DIY.

Erik

Delano: If those La Scalas really are in virtually mint condition, I think that is a fair price. I would be willing to pay that much if I were in the market. That's just me though! compared to what else is available for that price, I would much prefer a pair of really nice La Scalas.

Today, $1600 Canadian is $1346 US according to XE.com exchange.

That's a fair price, Delano, pretty well what I paid for mine a couple years ago. If you want to hear them or some other Klipsch stuff, pm me. I'm up in the Ottawa valley. If you have a tube amp to try out with them, better yet. Hamish

Mint 85 La Scala's for $1000 to $1300 US is a fair deal I would not go far above that but still La Scala's are an exceptional speaker. I love my 84's. As for tube amplification I must plead ignorance but I am sure you can find plenty of advice here for that issue.

Some advice I would offer is to pull off the bottom of the bass bin and examine the K33 to see if it is still good. It probably will be but look anyway.

You will probably find they have AL networks, which are not the most desirable network, but they are easily replaced or upgraded. A, AA or ALKs or maybe the new AL3 would be your best options IMO. Bob Crites (BEC), Al Klappenberger (ALKs), Deang G, and John Warren all do some fine crossover work, you will have no trouble finding testaments to their respective work on this forum. You can DIY your networks fairly easily or have them made and sent to you. Retain you old networks in the event you should ever chose to part with the La Scalas (Not sure why you ever would but hey???) and a prospective buyer wants all original.

Half dozen pair sales on eBay, in August 2004:

Belles, in good condition, share the same mid and high range drivers and horns as the Khorn, fall off below 100Hz, yet have a tipped up bottom and top-end response, but dont require a corner either, like LaScala but have cloth covered fronts, sold from $800 to 2075 (average $1,352)

LaScalas, in good condition, also share the same drivers as the venerable Khorn, also fall below 100Hz, their response is rougher but NOT tipped at both ends like the Belles, also dont require a corner, like Belles but have an exposed front, sold from $900 to $2,504 (average $1,292)

2.gif