My LaScalas in HT and Positioning?

sunprairie

Yes toe them in. How is the imaging where you sit and listen? How far apart are they? Also I blelive in the long run you will probably want to replace your center channel speaker and go with another "Heritage" unit like a Vert CW or Heresy.

They look nice but I think you will get a better sound stage/image by toeing them towards your listening position.

Thanks,

I had them toed in until this morning and thought I'd try this just for looks. Hadn't really had a chance to try it yet. Have an Academy on the way. I'll try that. I'm running Chorus II's surround, and 2 powered subs. Also have a pair of quartets that I'll compare to the Academy for a center. May use that if it's favorable. Then I'll run the other quartet as a rear center. See how it works. May then have for sale an Academy, an RC-7, an RC-3II and a pair of KG-3.5's. Been trying lot's of things and would love to put another La Scala in the center, but room is just too tight.

Yeah the not enough space issue is a drag. I was fortunate not to buy a widesreen until I had my third La Scala. Mixing lines does not sound bad, but I noticed the one thing that was not like the others pretty quickly and then opted for my center La Scala. Good luck! Enjoy!

The old addage spread Klipsch Hertage speakers apart as much as possible and toe in to your sweetspot. Not touching the side walls but you get my point. (If you can see all the way down the horn to the screen it is right.) This rule is more important for audio 2 channel, most find to put them in a little closer in for Home Theater.

Get a laser pointer if your anal to make it exact and cross it, or some people prefer just behind your head so if your head is the exact spot.. 6 inches or so to your right ear for the right speaker facing them and 6 inches from the left for your left ear too. LOL Not too many rooms will violate this rule. (Because not too many rooms are more than say 20- 25 feet wide where it is just too much without also being say 30 - 60 feet back..LOL.) Good amplification, and the La Scalas will sound wonderful.

How far is your room wide? And how far back are your seats, and speakers behind you?

Just play arround with them.

I remember Steve P mentioning to me two years ago that he un-toe'd his HT speakers and they sounded better.

As a general rule, I like them facing the sweet spot. But, Roger points out that is an old 2CH preference and we are usually alone sitting right in the sweet spot. In HT, you have a row, maybe two rows with people in them and toeing in may be way too limiting to the overall group.

In my case, my room is gigantic and the majority of the row of people is in the sweet range.

Just play arround and see. Learning your room is part of the fun of this obsession for perfection.

JM

For HT use, given the speakers you have, I'd put the Chorus II's as mains, the Academy at center, and the Quartets at the rear. The Scalas are GREAT speakers, but they don't match what you're using. I'd set them aside for a two-channel system, or get two pairs of Heresies to match them. 9.gif

I was worried that someone was going to say that. I had my Chorus's as mains and my Quartet's surround, and was using the RC-7 center, with an academy on the way when I spotted the La Scala's on EBay and couldn't help myself. They were the ones listed with the custom built stands, which I didn't see any sense in using. May try them sometime. Anyway, I'll continue to play around with everything and do the best I can. Toe in was my main question.