fini

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Fini,

Well there in descent cosmetic shape ! Really those are not tangle messes I've seen much worse. You may be able to get the power transformers rewound but it will probably be just as cheap to have 2 new ones made just send them both to Heybour trasnformer here in Michigan and plan on spending about $200 of so. The power transformer in the "good" amp looks like its had some excess stress put on it also. The choke is no big deal $10 for Triode. What you need to do before you go any further is to determain that the output iron is in good shape. I would proceed as follows mess with the so called working amplifier and get it working. Then switch out the output transformer from the bad amplifier into the working amplifier and see if it indeed works properly. You can do basic tests with a common meter to output transformers but nothing is 100% until the full voltage and load is present. I know this all sounds like a pain but no sense doing a thing until you know what you have.

Craig

You might also want to check with this guy:

http://www.tubes4hifi.com/MK34.htm

He sells a MKIV modded clone. The power transformers he uses might be suitable though I'd probably replace both of them to make sure the voltages matched. You could probably sell your good one pretty easily on ebay if needed.

Shawn

(Note: This guys site has some pretty inexpensive kits available but it rubs me the wrong way. He reviewed a bunch of St-70 modifications boards back in Glass Audio and of course prefered his own version... but never mentioned it was his version in the article....)

His boards are just fine but he told me he sources his transformers from the "Handwound transformer" trust me these transformers are complete junk. I had the place make me a set for Mark III's over a year ago. I still have them here if some one wants them they can have them for free !! I'm out $300 bucks on that deal completely worthless junk the power transformers vibrated like my wife favortie toy and the outputs had horrible frequecy response. Do a search on AA and you will find some comments about the Handwound garbage. I can't believe Roy uses the garbage myself.

Craig

I took the bad amp over to a local gee-tar amp builder (K&M Analog Designs, here's their website: http://www.two-rock.com/), and they were kind enough to test it, and yup, bad trannie. This is beginning to seem like a bigger can of worms than I'd hoped to open. I am leaning toward taking them back.

----------------

On 12/2/2004 5:21:20 PM fini wrote:

I took the bad amp over to a local gee-tar amp builder (K&M Analog Designs, here's their website:
), and they were kind enough to test it, and yup, bad trannie. This is beginning to seem like a bigger can of worms than I'd hoped to open. I am leaning toward taking them back.

----------------

Wait a bit before taking this decision.

I'm looking for a link to a transformer winder that do sell copies of old transformers design. I now I have it somewhere and I'll find it.

He sells copies of output transformers and power transformers from Eico, Ampeg, Fender, Dyna, etc.

His price are surprisingly good and apparently his work his top notch. For exemple, I was quoted 80 USD for a Eico HF-81 power transformer replacement unit.

Okie-dokie. I'm in a holding pattern...

So, if I were to get a couple of matching power transformers, I wonder what I could get for the good one? Actually, I am not 100% positive the other IS good. It doesn't blow a 2a fuse, anyway.

When you find out what you can get for your good trans, I have a spare MKIV power thransformer and would be pleased to share. Also See Curcio for sure he provides the BEST design and sound performance with truth and service.

I could not resist trying to help with your struggle, so I registered.

binkt