Props for Marantz Gear

cjgeraci

----------------

On 12/2/2004 8:11:03 PM Maron Horonzak wrote:

Theirs somthing about those 4 hex bolts on the four corners of the face plate that gave the mod 15,s that unique retro look. The mod 10 & 10b still cant be duplicated today. Although the Sequerra FM-1 surpasses in no compromize tuner design. I still like the look of the 10b .
----------------

Actually, The Scott 4310 sounds much cleaner and clearer with better defined bass. It has better reception and pulls up more stations too, but is much rarer than the 10B.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 7T and mod 15 &14 were Sauls first transistors. The power amps were three 60w mono blocks. All the same. Two were bolted together behind a face plate. One had a long power cord and the other had a 6" cord that plugged into the other amp. The mod 14 was the center amp with no face plate.

They were my first amps as a young man. Must have been around '68. Saul M. gave them to PWK to demo.

The 15's and 14 are in the garage.

Bob, may I join you?

Terry

----------------

IB Slammin>> The 14/15 amps were unique. They used large automotive lamps in the collector circuits of the output transistors for 2 purposes: dissipate long term power from the output transistors during accidental short circuits, and act as overload indicators. I had to buy a case of 12 of them from an auto supply house many years ago when I was repairing one. I think I still have the box of them somewhere. I've never seen this technique used in any other amp.... -DrDave

----------------

On 12/3/2004 9:25:47 PM badlieu wrote:

Anyone have any experience/info on a Marantz Model 30? I have one but haven't hooked it up to my Klipsch Chorus II's yet. It used to always pop off and on and had a bit of nob noise/crackle so I never bother trying it. Thanks in advance.

----------------

I fondly remember the Marantz 30. It was a high quality integrated amp, it's performance was close to seperates. The 30 was 60 wpc, available in the early 1970's if memory serves me. It was rather quickly replaced by the much improved 1200, which, BTW, works well with Klipsch. Some 30's had noise problems, and I had a handfull of things I did to improve them (many had noise problems out of the box!). The preamp section was very close to a 7T, and the amp like a 19 (receiver). This would be worth restoring for use with your Chorus's.

-DrDave