Lets cool off

CrazyRay

Hello,

I was wondering who uses a mini fan to cool off their amp?

As you can see in my photo, there is very little air circulating around the amp. I was going to put a small portable fan along the side to cool the amp off. Would this be a bad idea? Would this allow too much dust to be forced into the amp itself??

Or am I worrying too much.

Thanks

Ray1.gif

post-15950-13819259647482_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 12/1/2004 4:13:12 PM CrazyRay wrote:

Hello,

I was wondering who uses a mini fan to cool off their amp?

As you can see in my photo, there is very little air circulating around the amp. I was going to put a small portable fan along the side to cool the amp off. Would this be a bad idea? Would this allow too much dust to be forced into the amp itself??

Or am I worrying too much.

Thanks

Ray
1.gif

----------------

Hi Ray:

I use a 3 1/2" fan. It's a little noisy, but I keep the bearings oiled and I mainly hear it when no music is present.

If you are concerned about dust you can get some cut to fit filtering material at your local hardware store and glue 4 nuts on the fan and attach the material so that filtered air will be going in.

Good Luck,

dodger

EDIT:

Welcome to the Forum.

End Edit

McIntosh Labs used to claim that each 10 degrees centigrade increase in operating temperature would cut component life in half.

What I used to use - until I dropped it - was a little squirrel cage Braun fan from the early seventies. They show up on ebay every now and then and are reasonably quiet. Kinda neat looking too.

It seems to me in this day and age of poorly ventilated cabinets the engineers of modern gear would factor in the heat that there equipment may be subject to in these cabinets. I personally think your gear looks to be ventilated pretty good no closed cabinet. I wouldn't worry about it myself.

Craig

Edit

Oops just took another look which unit on the rack is your amplifier ?

I tell my clients to use the 1/2 rule for amps and preamp/processors. 1/2 again as much space above the amp as the amp is high. I.E. if you have an 8" high amp, figure 4" of clearance above it. Tube amps and preamps...as much as you can get. I sell a fair amount of the Active Thermal Management units. They are quiet and activate only when temps get high enough in the cabinet.

You can run a fan like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1267&item=3857265696&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

You can sometimes find fans like this at a cheaper price. Anyway, you plug the 240V fan into the regular 110V wall outlet and it will run much quieter. But it's better just to have adequate space between components. A fan is more likely to come in handy if you're restricted to components being in a cabinet.