HT Reciever Current Yamaha May change

clt1bkc

Yes, this will make a huge difference.... in the weight of your wallet.

Propaganda? IMO, brightness can be tamed with a tone control, if provided. (so much for "audiophile")

Though it is as good as any reason to upgrade, I suppose.

Try for an in-home audition with your associated gear, if possible. 16.gif

----------------

On 12/4/2004 11:59:02 PM clt1bkc wrote:

Need advice. I currently have a Yamaha HTR 5790 reciever with RF 7's front speakers. Keep reading about how bright this reciever is. If I change to another Pioneer Elite or BK will it make a hughe difference?

----------------

First does it sound bright to you? Yes some units have a little more crispness than others but the primary issue is how does it sound to you? Obviously better power usually results in better results although it can reveal even more upstream problems too. Klipsch speakers are extremely efficient and thus are very revealing. They tend not to mask undesirable characteristics in your source and amplifying/processing units. So how does it sound to you? Only you can answer you need to upgrade. Most here can recommend their respective preference, only you can decide if you need it. The mixing different speaker lines debate is a prime example. All of us have a preference and tend to dissuade mixing speaker lines, myslef included. But if you mix lines and like it, you are at or near your own personal nirvana (and we all will hate you2.gif ). The same applies to source equipment. Yes there are better units available almost all the time but only you can tell if you really need them. The law of diminishing returns definitely applies here. You have RF 7s so I assume you have a developed a preference for what you ideal sound is. If your receiver hits that mark then you are golden. If not you fall into the upgrade vein with a majority of us. If you are in the upgrade vein then the law if diminishing returns applies. At what cost do you feel the performance improvement no longer justifies the expense. Welcome to the fray. It (the upgrade bug) is, if nothing else, an entertaining ride. You will catch it at some point I am sure, as it seems to be a right of passage of sorts. When you find yourself lurking on Audiongon and E-bay alone in the dark youll know youve come to the right place.9.gif

I'm in agreement with J.4, does it sound bright to you? Alot of people like it that way. I used to run a Yamaha with my RF-7's. If I didn't like to play it loud sometimes I might still have it, Yamaha makes great products and it sounded good at lower volumes. I just didn't like the way it made my ears ring when I was blasting it. So I spent some money and upgraded.

Yes it does seem bright to me. For movies it does an outstanding job. But now that I have these RF 7's I want more from the music side. I noticed Rotel was offered as an suggestion. May reasearch this as an alternative. From a movie standpoint happy with the yamaha. Want a warm sound for music and at the same time maintain or improve the movie sound from the Yamaha.

Well ... does your Yamaha have a preamp output you can feed a better power amp? Just an option. I use a Yamaha RX-V3300 and don't find it bright or crisp at all. I use a Denon combo DVD/DVD-A/CD/SACD player that I like very much. It could be your Yamaha is a little harsher than some of their upper scale units. I had Denon separates before moving to the Yamaha and I was a staunch Yamaha critic until I got my current receiver. For surround sound it does a great job and does very well in 2 channel and multichannel music as well. My end goal is to move back into separates again but the units I want are beyond my budget stretch-ability. I dont have a lot of experience using Denon/Pioneeer/B&K ... receivers. I guess the best thing I could recommend is to have your dealer set up a demo room where you can compare equals and see if you find something you like better. I am hesitant to recommend any specific receiver that I dont currently use. I know there are a lot of good units our there. You are on that slippery slope we are all on. Just so you know there is no known cure for the upgrade bug other than feeding its phobia. So yeah check with your local retailer and see how flexible they are willing to be in allowing you to demo their wares. Just dont let them hook up a Denon to RF-7s with a good source player and a Yamaha to RF-35s or something similar and tell you to make that comparison, insist on equals for comparison.

Edit: Also your upstream componentry can also cause a similar issue to what you experience. See if you can work other source units into your demo too.

----------------

On 12/4/2004 11:59:02 PM clt1bkc wrote:

Need advice. I currently have a Yamaha HTR 5790 reciever with RF 7's front speakers. Keep reading about how bright this reciever is. If I change to another Pioneer Elite or BK will it make a hughe difference?

----------------

you may read about bright....but you need to be able to hear bright...which IMO is subjective and personal....

So if it sounds good to you then it is....