Classical talk - here comes the cello

dubai2000

Larry and Wolfram,

When I finally get my hands on the Du Pre Elgar I might well reverse my order with the Dvorak as well. It is often not the music ultimately, but the story behind it that drives the appeal - although in this case the Elgar is remarkable even without Du Pre.

That it is already one of my favorite pieces - on a poor recording with a moderate performance - says much for the piece.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 12/7/2004 2:20:42 PM paulparrot wrote:

Yo-Yo does an adequate job of it too, but as pleasant as the guy is, he is not worthy of carrying Starker's music stand.
----------------

Right you are on that. There is common ground to be found...

----------------

On 12/7/2004 4:15:40 PM dubai2000 wrote:

It seems there is something in the cello (sound or players
2.gif
) that seems to attract a lot of people.

Wolfram
----------------

Well now, the same could be said of drug-addled jazzers. Especially bassists, you know....

2.gif

Larry! As is sometimes said in response to a correct answer, "Bingo!" You've found it for me. That was indeed the piece I heard in the car. I will be able to get it this weekend.

Thanks very much for going the extra mile here for me. I tend to prefer that slower, melodic style to an all-out symphonic assault, but the latter can be fun sometimes, as well.

I appreciate your help,

Erik

I am playing the cello myself on amateur level, and I am actually spending more time on that than listening to my khorns+laScala setup. To Marvel, you risk to get hooked on it, and if you find it expensive to have hi-fi as a hobby, then you should try the cello...

A very good site for cello lovers is www.cello.org with its chat rooms.

I find personally that Starkers left hand is less impressive than his right hand, and as an extreme example you should try to compare his recording of Kodaly op. 8 with that of Paul Tortelier, I find the latter much better. There seems to be a certain geographical tendency to prefer the nearest, as the Americans seem to find both Starker and Rose as being among the best, where most of us here in Europe (sorry Greenland) find them to be among the nextbest.

There are so many really good cellists who are less known, as also the classical music suffers from too much PR for a few names. The greatest in the last century was in my mind Emanuel Feuermann who was the equivalent to Heifetz on the violin, but he died much too young in 1942.

A few lesser known names:

Mark Drobinsky

Arto Noras

Erling Bløndal Bengtsson

Truls Mørk

Miklos Perenyi (spelling?)

Milos Sadlo, whom I knew personally

Then there are a lot of chamber music players, especially in string quartets and piano trios, who are just as good but mostly you do not know there names, only that of their ensembles. You should give it a try.

Søren

Soeren,

Believe me, I have looked at prices for cellos. I don't have as much invested in my stereo as I do in the few guitars I own. The one I am pictured with is a production guitar, and if I had to replace it would be well over $4k U.S. It had some custom additions to it. I have my eye on some other guitars, as lutherie is in a magnificent golden age right now. There are many, many fine instrument makers around. I certainly don't have what I would want to be able to invest in a cello right now, although at my amateur level, a student model might suit me fine.

But I digress ... for those who may not really be too keen on Ma, or like more contemproary acoustic music, check out the music of Edgar Meyer. Stand up bass. He actually won a bluegrass fiddle contest on the bass. He does some work with Yo-Yo Ma and Mark O'Conner (Appalachian Journey and Appalachia Waltz). Some nice stuff.

Does cello tend to match the human voice, which is why we like it so much?

Marvel

ps It's great you spend more time making music than listening.

Marvel,

Edgar Meyer is one of the most musical and technically sound musicians in can think of, based on the one full album I have heard. I can't think of the name of the record I have dubbed on cassette of his... something about Penguins or webbed feet in there, I think...

Anyway, I haven't heard much more of him, though that record had sparked some interest years ago. Mark O'Connor is on it as well. I remember reading an interview with Meyer where he indicated that his goal for pizzicato technique was drawn from bluegrass mando players. Pretty lofty for the old dog-house. I've often thought that the sound of double bass in thumb position resembled a baritone in his upper registers. Something to do with straining a bit, I think.

Edgar Meyer's wife plays violin, and did a class at Sewanee:The University of the South. A close friend of my daughter was in the class, and said that Edgar Meyer drove down from Nashville and showed them a few things on the double bass. She said he did things on the bass that many violinists can't do.

Check out his website:

http://www.edgarmeyer.com/

He has released an album of Bach's solo cello suites, performed on the double bass. Oooooohhh!!! It sounds very good.

Thanks to all for the recommendations. I recently purchased the du Pre, "A Lasting Inspiration" and the Starker/Dvorak Cello Concerto, on Mercury Living Presence. Though it would be difficult to express a preference between the Dvorak and Elgar Concertos at this time, I can say that I enjoyed both presentations immensely. To this point, my only other experience with the Cello has been the 6 Bach Cello Suites. It's been a while since I listened to the Bach but I recall thinking I would always have difficulty distinguishing between the Suites. I seem to prefer the above mentioned works but will give the Bach another chance as I get more comfortable with the Cello.

I ordered the Kodaly Sonata for solo Cello last night for two reasons.

1. I'm enjoying the unique voice of the Cello

2. I want to have the devil scared out of me!11.gif

Thanks for the thread, although perhaps this should be locatec in the CD's and DVD section much further below. I welcome the globe-trotting discussion. Although primarily a rock and jazz entheusiast, I have a couple dozen classical works in my collection. Can't name any particular favorites, but have always been drawn to the cello. It's tonal range, timbre and the way it seems to be able to clearly articulate the players nuances make it dear to me. There is a very human sound to the cello, the way it moans I suppose. To me it is a sad tone, but then much of music is in relation to unhappy deeds being voiced through song. The cello, en ensemble strikes a beautiful strengh in harmony with other instruments. The physical act of bowing this instrument is a very sensual motion indeed. There are several used in Led Zeppelin's Page and Plant No Quarter DVD, just released and the power and majesty of the string section on songs such as Kashmir give Mssr Plant reason to smile indeed.

Hope these ramblings make sense. I do love the cello. Just need a little help in making a few wise selections for my library. I have a YoYoMa selection with piano but i'ts maybe a little too subtle for my tastes.

Michael

----------------

On 12/16/2004 1:59:14 PM boomac wrote:

...To this point, my only other experience with the Cello has been the 6 Bach Cello Suites. It's been a while since I listened to the Bach but I recall thinking I would always have difficulty distinguishing between the Suites. I seem to prefer the above mentioned works but will give the Bach another chance as I get more comfortable with the Cello.

----------------

I like seeing follow-up posts and impressions in classical threads. Yep, Boomac, with 6 movements each in 6 suites, it's also impossible for me to identify which one, except for the very recognizable opening preludium of the first suite, now frequently heard around here in a TV ad.

The last suite/No. 6 was written for a differently tuned cello (don't remember the details) and plays at recognizably higher pitches than the other suites.

Thanks, Larry

----------------

On 12/16/2004 1:59:14 PM boomac wrote:

I ordered the Kodaly Sonata for solo Cello last night for two reasons.

1. I'm enjoying the unique voice of the Cello

2. I want to have the devil scared out of me!
11.gif

----------------

It is definitely not a prissy kind of piece.saburn.gif I have a feeling it's one of those that people will either love or hate.

I confess that I have never been able to really get into the Elgar piece. The exciting parts are superb (the ones used in the "Hilary and Jackie" movie) but I am a little bored by some of the lulls inbetween.

I had the good fortune to hear a Christmas concert by the junior high school students a few nights ago. The orchestra consisted of 5 cellists (including my son), 11 1st violinists, 23 2nd violinists, 5 violas, and 3 string bassists. There ain't nothin' like the real thing.

Larry - I don't watch too much TV so I can't pin point the advertiser but I have heard that music. Your post got me to put the CD on and I'll take in the first couple suites before I have to go out in the cold and put up a few more sets of Christmas Lights. My aunt & uncle are coming for the holidays and they like lights! I have the Philips Classics production of the Bach Suites, performed by Maurice Gendron.

Paul I miss the HS Christmas Concerts. Both of my kids sang in the choir and every year they performed with a local, but quite good, symphony orchestra.

----------------

On 12/16/2004 3:32:03 PM bclarke421 wrote:

They ought to move some of those seconds down to viola, but the parents would probably have fits!!

----------------

They'd have to learn all those viola jokes, like "How can you tell if a viola is playing out of tune?" Answ: "The bow is moving." Etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd bump this with a comment about my new, very interesting BBC/Opus Arte DVD, BBC OA CN0902 D, Jacqueline du Pre in Portrait. The first part is a series of photo and movie segments on her early life and her start toward becoming one of the cello greats of the last century before her life ended too soon. The vigor and force of her personality and playing come across with special force when seen on the DVD.

This is followed by filmed performances of the complete Elgar concerto with the New Philharmonia Orchestra conducted by Daniel Barenboim, and the Beethoven Ghost Trio, Op. 70 No. 1, played by du Pre, Barenboim on the piano and Pinchas Zuckerman, violin. To be a bit critical, the Elgar becomes wayward and tedious in the last movement, and the middle, slow movement is the best in the Beethoven (his Archduke trio is much greater in my book). The name "Ghost" comes from the mystery in that movement. Though 155 min. long, this was well worth seeing for me.

Larry

"My absolute favorite aspect of orchestra in college was the fact that as a member of the bass section, I had the privelege of being positioned immediately behind the celli. Aside from the musical benefit, I took a distinct pleasure in this. Of the four cellists, three were quite attractive young ladies."

Ah! What a relief, I thought I was the only "perv" who noticed these things!! I've often wondered about the relationship between some of those comely lasses and their instrument! Perhaps I better quit while I'm ahead......