Rb 75's or cornwalls

avklipsch

Since they are around the same price, what would you recomend for a 5.1 setup? I have a svs ultra right now and am going to be adding to that, so I'm not particularly worried about my low end performance. I have no WAF since it is entirely my room. I Currently own rf5's which I love!... but I am looking for a larger tweeter. Also, is it the dual belles or lascalas for the center channel that are recommended with the cornwalls? Any info would be appreciated! Thanks!!!

Aaron

Aaron - RB-75s and Cornwalls are very different-sounding speakers.

Couple of quick questions:

Will your RF-5s still be part of the mix or will they be completely separate from the 5.1 setup?

Have you heard any Heritage speakers, and if so, which ones? And, how did they sound compared to your RF-5s?

What will be your mix of movies and music with this setup?

I have own(ed) both Cornwalls and RB-75s. I like the sound of both. Given the two, I personally prefer Cornwalls.

But its for your ears to decide?

Carl.

I'm going to be selling the rf5's to finance part of my new project. I have heard heresy's in a studio setting. They Rocked! I will be doing mostly television and movies, but want to start getting into the multi channel music stuff. I would also have to think that the rb75's would be much easier to mount to the wall. Do people normally just set the cornwalls on the floor? My room is 11x20. Not ideal, but it's what I have to work with in this house. Thanks,

Aaron

I heard super-sensitive walnut-oiled Cornwall 1s, with their B2 crossovers, in my own home, with the same music and equipment, for over a decade. I heard Reference series loudspeakers briefly over the years in the local Sound Advice/Tweeter audio boutique. I love what the big ole horns can do, even if you are NOT a tweaking audiophile seeking the best watt in flea-powered amplification.

Of course, the RB5s do mount easier to the wall that Cornwalls, though I have seen this done;

just search on Google for images at Wendy Carlos studios:

http://www.wendycarlos.com/photos/bsst3.jpg

In a small 11x20 room, the smaller reference loudspeakers certainly offer more room than the Cornwalls, which are some of the largest three-way loudspeakers you can buy.

Sadly, you do NOT specify your age, budget, movie and music tastes, and front-end equipment in your system profile, though this information helps forum members give you thoughtful, insightful answers.

With 15 woofers, the Corns certainly will give you the WHOMP you need in the bass, though if you are going to add a decent subwoofer, you are going to get that anyway.

Myself, there is no way I would NOT rush to buy the biggest, baddest big ole horn that I can afford, even if I have to wait to real 5.1 surround sound and new front-end equipment. You can drive a Cornwall with a cheapo boom box and get good sound. I know, I tried.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/senselessrambling/

6.gif

It is certainly easier to build a 5.1 around RB-75s than Cornwalls. It seems to me that your path of least resistance is to get another set of RB-75s so you have one for each corner and get an RC-7 for center.

If you are determined to go Heritage, space is limited, and you have a good sub already, you might consider three sets of Heresys. The upward progression from there is simply to increase the number of Cornwalls and decrease the number of Heresys until Heresys=0. 1.gif

O.K. Here we go. I'll listen to anything and watch anything! I'm much more of a movie buff even though I am a recovering drummer!( notice I didn't say musician.) I love dynamics-not loudness. I'm 26. I have an Onkyo 787 just driving my pair of rf5's right now. My next step is selling the rf5's. And upgrading my speakers and system to 5.1 as we move into our new house. We will be moving within 5 years and will have a purely dedicated home theater room then. I'm trying to gear my gear towards that direction. So first, buying two pairs of cornwalls and a pair of bells, or lascalas. Or going with the rb75's all the way around except for the center(rc7...2?). My budget is whatever it takes to acomplish this! Television is panasonic hi def with a panasonic dvd player. Thanks,

Aaron

Aaron

Well the Heritage based HT with Cornwalls, Belle's or La Scala's or even Heresy's will certainly be a step above an RB-75 based one. If you want dynamics you are certainly headed in the right direction with the big Heritage speakers.

I love dynamics and absolute realism in my system and if the Klipsch speakers weren't enough I run a DBX 5BX-DS 5-Band Dynamic Range Controller with 5 independently adjustable bands of Impact Restoration. From the snap of a snare drum, or a brush on a cymbal, or the thunder of a kick drum this baby keeps it real!

Good luck with your system - I was able to put the system together below for less than what it would cost for an all RF based system new.

Well, I'm a Cornwall owner and lover, so a little biased, although I am buying a used RB5 system for another room that will be mostly theatre. For music, the Corns rock. For HT, they give a massive amount of bass, even without Sub, which is still recommended. The Corns will be more forgiving of subject material and amps if you're looking at SS receiver. From what I'm told, Reference shows every shortcoming in every stage of your system. Corns take a little real estate, but man are they impressive.

I wouldn't mount any speaker to the wall, ever, maybe a small surround. Certainly not RB75. Too many vibrations going through the house, next room, etc. 11x20, while not ideal, is substantial. For HT, lots of folks would orient system on short wall for deep theatre. For most music listening, Forum fans would have you S P R E A D out the sound field across as much of that 20' as you can use.

Michael

Michael brings up a really good point about your room. My room is just over 11' wide, and I have to really shoehorn the two Fortes, a sub, TV, and equipment rack in there. The Corns are going to take a LOT of space. Plan on putting your A/V rack on a side wall with those guys -- either that or you'll just have to settle for 2.gif an all Heresy HT.

FWIW, I would. I've had a pair Heresys for about a dozen years now and they are great HT speakers.

I would use Cornwalls all around vs Belle/LaScala in the center--although they are all Heritage. Placing any big heritage for center is often a challenge...vertical Cornwalls seem popular..even on top of RPTVs. Front projection makes it easier.

Show pics when you are done.

The Cornwalls pound the bass and especially with SVS...one concern with both SVS and Cornwalls is the tightness, speed and resolution of the bass with music. I am not convinced SVS is the route for me with other 1,000 watt 12" subs emerging positioning themselves against SVS as less "boom" for music. I also think I hear more bass resolution with smaller woofers although much more expensive speakers. I think my vintage tube gear contributed to the softer bass...especially my basically stock design vintage pre-amp.

Thanks everyone!!! I'm positive that I'm going to go with the Heresy's. Were there any particular years that I should watch out for? Which tweeters should I be most interested In? Once it is put together in about three months I will definateley be showing pics. Thanks again everyone for all the info!!!

Aaron

----------------

On 12/7/2004 8:40:13 PM Olorin wrote:

As I understand it there were some transitional Heresys in the mid-80s as they moved to the Heresy II. I'd shoot for '77 to '81, but then I'm biased toward my 81s.
9.gif

Here's a single '77 to get you started --

----------------

My '72s sound pretty darn good too! Just make sure they're all the same. Don't mix 1s with 2s. Make sure the drivers are all rear loaded (1s) or all front loaded (2s). Most folks seem to prefer the 1s. I've only heard 2s in a store so can't really comment on the difference.