CORNWALLS VS RF-5

GOLDDOWN

A big difference between the two. It is unclear whether you intend on incorporating Cornwalls into your system or running a separate two-channel system.

The RF-5s are much more forward-sounding than the Cornwalls. Both are horns but they sound very different. The Cornwalls are smoother than the RF-5s and are three-way speakers (vs. two). Cornwalls are great rock 'n roll speakers with more bass impact than the RF-5s, but it should be noted than some of the older ones can be a tad bit harsh in the midrange when pushed extremely, extremely hard. If that would be the case, that could be cured simply by getting the crossovers rebuilt by one of our experts in here. On the other hand, some vintage Cornwalls have no indication of harshness whatsoever. Then again, most all vintage Klipsch (or even modern) Klipsch speakers could benefit from a cross-over rebuild.

As to mixing, you MAY be able to get by with using one set or the other as rears accompanying the others for movies or multi-channel music IF your room is large enough. However, that is not ideal, and I would not generally mix and match Heritage with Reference.

Carl.

----------------

On 12/8/2004 1:59:06 PM Frzninvt wrote:

They will sound quite different, it would be best if you could possibly get the opportunity to listen to a pair first. Explaining how they sound would be too difficult.

----------------

I agree with respect to auditioning the speakers. It could be a mistake to purchase Cornwalls or any Heritage speaker just because we all love them so and sing their praises since they are so different sounding (from Reference).

After all, it's what makes your own ears happy - that's the only thing that matters.

Carl.

thanks guys, I would be using them for my fronts. However I listen to more music than anything else, plus I like two channel better for music. I perfer just the RF-5 playing than I do with the RF-5 and The Rc-7 playing together. I would love to hear some Cornwalls anybody in the panhandle (florida) willing to let me here theres?

Test drive Cornwalls or RB5's in Indy.

For any ROCK, you should have....Cornwalls! No contest!

The Cornwalls will tear your house down. I can get 126dB with a Yamaha RXV2400 and very little distortion. They are great for HT and barely need a sub. I ROCK HARD, but also listen to soft jazz, background, classical, all but country (not an art form) and the Mighty Corns are Awesome if you've got the real estate! Reference is IMHO, trebly, too 'perfect' and unforgiving without the BALLS of the 15" Cornwall woofers.

One forum member who loves Corns' moniker says it all IB SLAMMIN

Michael- currently building a custom Cornwall Center!