Basement converted to Giant Subwoofer

jhughesco

i heard that extremely low end sound will make people go crazy like involuntary movements, bodly functions messed up, they will think they are going crazy in the head, things like that..... well my physics teacher told me that either he was just mesing with me or something but it seemed funny heheheh......

------------------

bass beats melody

Ok so don't ask me how I know this but in Germany they use ultra low frequencies for crowd control. They have this truck that rolls up and they announce for the crowd to break up and then fire off a warning shot. If the crowd does not break up then they turn it on full power. What happens you ask?? Well you goto the bathroom right then and there in your pants. Yes I said you sh*t your pants. It is pretty hard to be unruly when you have stuff running down your leg. Ok just thought I would gross ya all out.

Laters,

------------------

Main System -

CORNWALLS (circa '79 yippe)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running bridged 800W/4 ohms for sub)

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

Bedroom -

KG4's or RF-3's (haven't decided yet)

Harman Kardon AVR 20 MKII

Well let just say I saw it in action even thou it was not directed at me :-) Any more details and I would have to kill ya ;-) I will say it works the crowd broke up very fast after that.

Laters,

------------------

Main System -

Cornwalls (L/R main)

2 RF-3's (center channel)

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running sub)

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

Bedroom -

KG4's

Harman Kardon AVR 20 MKII

i want one!

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, but if it is professional help you want contact Amy. Email Amy or Instant Message Amy and if all else fails, pick up that phone and call right now Toll Free: 1-888-554-5665

Just do me a favor and run up my counter... I know that sounds sad but so is my site!

http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/berry/88/

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I have a friend with KLF 30's with a modified crossover that seem to go down to 5 hz (the lowest test signal we have).

This is an utterly unpleasant experience that appears to cause 2 main effects. In people - dizziness and vomiting, in buildings - cracks in the walls. I should add that the same building passed through the last Athens quake with not a mark.

I have no idea why anyone would want a system to do this - personally I am kind of traditional and use my system to listen to music, but what to I know.

Oh yes, he is of the opinion he does not need a sub - cant argue with that!!

Okay, you've certainly got our attention... how in the world did he get response down so low out of those cabinets and drivers?

As to why you'd want to... well, I don't know about sitting and listening to test signals at 5 hertz, but my thought is that if the speakers can accurately reproduce signals below 20Hz, then they will do a good job with organs (I'm a fan of Bach's organ music, and have about a dozen different version of the Saint-Saëns third symphony, aka the Organ Symphony), and you'd be surprised how much ambient information is contained in very low frequency bands. Adding a subwoofer frequently opens up the soundstage, an unexpected benefit in addition to the low frequency reinforcement of the music.

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

driving wears out the body because of the low frequency vibration that the auto body sets up, something like 2 or 5 Hz, if I recall, the auto makers are experimenting with creating ultra low signals to cancel out the vibration and make for a smoother, mor enduring ride ...

------------------

Cornwalls, Bottlehead 2A3 Paramours, Dynaco II, Rotel, KSW200 & LF10

Ray:

How do powered and passive subwoofers compare generally? Is one generally more linear than the other? How much of a difference does having a subwoofer for each channel (as opposed to just one) make on the soundstage, imaging, and the ambience?

Now you've made me curious....

------------------

May the bridges we burn light our way....

Ray-I think the Organ symphony is sort of dull.(although I did like it when I was 12 or 13).

Like most of "Cammies" works IMO it's largely formulaic. A few pages are memorable but most of the work is constrained, predictable and mechanistic.

Cesar Franck, different story. Genius, technically gifted organist, wrote just organ works. Jean Guillou (best organist alive) likely the only person to play Francks' works as he himself did. If you like organ pieces I suggest you audition Guillou's "The Organ Works of Cesar Franck" a 24 bit transcoded to 16 bit Dorian Recording DOR-90135. It's pricey at $30. Best bass I've every heard on a CD too.