Water Damged Academy on EBAAAAA

Man that looks horrid, pretty sneaky not taking a photo of the grill and the water damage, it looked swelled some or frayed in the eBay photo. Talk about an undisclosing seller. Someone has a bid of $380 on this thing right too, boy are they going to be in for a surprise.

it sounds perfect but no better or worse than the klf c7. I think its amazing how the academy has been put on such a pedastal that it is commanding $600 and $700 on ebay.

They're no better than most other klipsch center speakers. The only reason they're thought to be superior and the prices are sky high is because klipsch no longer makes them.

Popbumper I'm into pinballs too 2.gif Ive got an embryon, EBD LE and an el toro. Whadda you got?

Happy greetings!! Agreed on the cost of the Academy, though I am QUITE happy with it.

Excellent taste in pins, friend, I have EBD, EBDLE, Centaur, Xenon, Firepower, Black Hole, Gorgar, Quicksilver, Fathom, Old Chicago, Pharaoh, Flash, and Charlie's Angels. Not all of them are running (the first eight are, the others are in queue for restoration).

Enjoy!!

Popbumper 9.gif

D0N, have you heard an Academy? I think not because trust me it is superior to the KLF-C7, KV-4 or any other of Klipsch centers that I have heard. Why do I know this because I have one, and it replaced a KV-4 that I had. The dialogue that the Academy produces is superior to the other Klipsch centers. Not sure if it is the drivers or the crossover network designed for it but it easily outshined my KV-4 and the KV-4 is one hell of a center channel.

I really did not know what to expect but was blown away with its performance, I now understand why some folks are willing to pay a small fortune for them. I am using it only as center channel reinforcement for my La Scala on top of my RPTV. I think it is the fact that you don't have one and won't shell out the bucks for one that makes you think that your KLF-C7 is better.

frzn I don't have one and haven't heard one... but... if you look at the specs for each speaker they're nearly identical except that the klfc7 goes down lower.

There was a LOOOONG thread on the HT forum about this exact topic. The academy may sound better but is it $300 better? You're right I wouldn't pay $700 for one. I got my klfc7 NIB for $250. I guess I shouldn't bash it until I've heard its magic. 16.gif

----------------

On 12/10/2004 7:43:20 AM Frzninvt wrote:

D0N, have you heard an Academy? I think not because trust me it is superior to the KLF-C7, KV-4 or any other of Klipsch centers that I have heard. Why do I know this because I have one, and it replaced a KV-4 that I had. The dialogue that the Academy produces is superior to the other Klipsch centers. Not sure if it is the drivers or the crossover network designed for it but it easily outshined my KV-4 and the KV-4 is one hell of a center channel.

I really did not know what to expect but was blown away with its performance, I now understand why some folks are willing to pay a small fortune for them. I am using it only as center channel reinforcement for my La Scala on top of my RPTV. I think it is the fact that you don't have one and won't shell out the bucks for one that makes you think that your KLF-C7 is better.
----------------

Do you guys set your center speakers to small whether there full range or not. My Elite receiver does this automatically when doing the setup routine. It set my center to large, I assume because it also has a internal powered sub like my fronts.

I notice that voices get bright at higher volumes, but when I set it to small they smooth out and become more listenable, can someone explain why this happens? I'm to assume its related to the crossover cut off happening at 80 hz for small instead of 50 hz for large, if so why would it be brighter, is it overloading the driver?

Tom

I was very suprised at its performance myself. Specs don't tell you squat about how a speaker actually sounds though. I actually was sitting on my couch in disbelief when I did the trial run with the Academy, I like yourself did not think that there would be a tremendous difference. The dialogue was much more accurate and articulate than with the KV-4. I run my two centers Large! Why because they are! No brightness at all at any level.

Why do I have two centers you ask? To aid in dispersion since my La Scala is laying on its side, so the Academy is perched on top of the TV tilted down towards the listening area. The combination is stunning to say the least.

Don:

EMBRYON is one of those "well maybe one day" pins; I had a chance to play a beautiful one at the Pinball EXPO in Chicago this past October, and I turned it over (score-wise). Fun pin with lots to do.

Cablacksmith:

Gottlieb made lots of excellent electromechanical pins back in the day, and Flip-a-Card is a lot of fun; just be sure that someone who KNOWS what they are doing works on it for you. EM's are a PAIN to work on!

Popbumper