HK 430= One Happy Camper!

joelongwood

Hello everybody,

I've just registered, but I've been reading this forum for quite awhile. I've been intrigued by the HK 430 and the synergy that is claimed by many here for its use with classic Klipsch speakers. I have a pair of Klipsch Forte II that I've owned for about 6 or 7 years now, and I've been very pleased with their performance. I like to rotate my vintage receivers and amps into the system every month or so. I've used the following: Pioneer SA-8100 integrated, Pioneer SX-850, Yamaha CA-2010, Sansui 2000A, Kenwood KA-8100, Carvfer 6250, Dynaco PAS3X/Stereo 70, and Dynaco SCA-35. Each one provides a slightly different sound, and I thoroughly each of them.

However, after reading all the positive comments about the HK 430, I decided to go for one, and so I picked one up on eBay two weeks ago for $51 plus shipping. Except for a tiny ding on the front, the thing is pretty close to mint. After following the excellent instructions for cleaning (it didn't need much...but I still want to replace those fuses) posted by HDBRbuilder, I fired it up according to his instructions as well.

All I can say, as others have said, is WOW!......no, make that a double WOW! The bass, the midrange, the clarity and crispness of the top end is absolutely nothing short of astounding. I played a Johnny Cash CD from his American Recordings collection, and is voice was so damned real, I could have sworn he was in the room!

I've been listening just about non-stop (advantage of being retired) since I hooked it up, and I've thrown everything at it, from vinyl, to CDs, to SACDs, to, most recently XM radio.

Looking at it's rather diminutive size and rather low wattage, one would suspect that there is no way it could sound as good as it does. Somehow it seems as if it doesn't have any business sounding so good.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank all of you who have posted the praises of this little gem and add my voice to the choir.

I just may be on the lookout for another one, or a 730, just in case something happens to my new baby. :D

----------------

On 12/11/2004 1:50:29 AM arfandbark wrote:

Don't be afraid to buy a 730, Joe. I have one and I'm very very happy listing to it thru my Corns.

Shaking my keyboard as I type, it is..
----------------

Greetings,

I second that! I've owned both, and I found the 730 to be like a 430 on steroids, and for pushing my kg4's I think the 730's higher output power is a better match. Either way, though, these Twin Power amps are a revalation. Robust bass, gorgeous mids, crystalline highs ... all attributes one would be proud to use in describing their new $1000 rig. But for an amp that cost just $100 on eBay -- MAN!!! 3.gif3.gif3.gif

Take care,

Scott

• 2 months later...

I had been running my son's system (Tannoys and Heresy's) with a Harman/Kardon PT2300 preamp/tuner into the amp section of an Onkyo A-5 integrated (45 WPC).

Then I left the Tannoys hooked to this and used the Teac A-L 700 P tripath amp to run the Heresys. Still I wasn't satisfied.

So 70 bucks (total) and an Ebay transaction later I own a Harman Kardon 430.

Wow!

Add my voice to the satisfied choir. It makes the Tannoys and Heresys sing.

The tuner is MUCH more sensitive than the one on my Scott 355 although it cannot touch the Scott sonically.

My son's face fell when he heard that it only had a meager 25 wpc, but brightened considerably when he heard the difference.

This is a real sleeper!

Woo

Some quick stats:

HK430

25 watts RMS/ch, both driven into 8 ohms 20Hz - 20kHz,w/< 0.3% THD

Total Harmonic Distortion : < 0.3% from 250milliwatts - 25 watts RMS, both driven simultaneously into 8 ohms (20Hz-20kHz)

HK630

30/30 W RMS @ 8 ohms from 20-20kHz at <0.5% THD

PEAK - In excess of 60 watts / ch , both channels driven.

Total Harmonic Distortion : <0.5% at 30/30 watts

0.07% at 1 watt, both channels driven simult

HK730

40 W min. RMS/ch @ 8 ohms with <0.1% THD

Total Harmonic Distortion : < 0.1% from 250milliwatts to 40watts RMS

HK930

"detailed data coming soon" as per the HK website, but it's listed at 45 W min. RMS/ch

All the information was taken from HK's website. The thing I like about HK though, is their accurate measurements. Most companies pump pink noise at 1khz into their products and then take a THD reading at full rated output. HK gives you an average THD measurement from as low as 250 millawatts all the way up to full-rated output. This is pretty important because most Klipsch heritage speakers are generally run below 1 watt RMS, seing how one little watt can put out anywhere from 96 to 104db at 1 meter. So, as everybody knows, it's the first watt that counts. Who cares how clean 1,000 watts are if the 1st watt is "dirty?" HK gives you detailed info about that first watt, not to mention going down as low at 250 millawatts. That's pretty honest and is very important information to hand-out to the consumer as far as I'm concerned, especially for Klipsch owners. Furthermore, most companies tend to bloat their RMS figures as well, but HK as historically refrained from this and, if anything, has been extremely conservative with their RMS figures.

To be frank, I don't know how HK manufactures or handles their products today, mainly because I'm not interested in a "new" HK receiver or amp so I haven't researched or auditioned their current stuff, but I do know that they did it "right" in the 1970s, as evidenced by their HK "x30" series.

Many people here on this board have purchased those units and have been quite amazed by them and basically very pleased with their performance and sound, and when you factor in their affordable price in addition to their already-proven longevity, they seem like absolute steals.

Chalk one up for Andy for bringing them to light here on the forum.

I hope he's doing okay over there in the Middle East, by the way.

-H2G