Testing the direction of analog interconnects

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 12/11/2004 6:16:28 PM SteelerFan wrote:

The reason I ask is I have a ground loop hum I believe is comimg through my interconnects.

----------------

Is only your amp and preamp plugged in?.. or is there something plugged into the preamp like a Cable or a Satellite connection? How about another component?

----------------

On 12/12/2004 9:01:33 PM Tom Mobley wrote:

I'd stop by a grocery store and pick up one of those little 3-wire to 2-wire adapters. Use it to plug in either the amp or the source component, it'll eliminate any chance of a ground loop.

----------------

If nothing else were plugged into the preamp, a ground loop hum would be also be my first guess. If you have Cable/Satellite connected to the preamp, I'd try unplugging them to see if they are causing a Ground loop.

If you tried the cheater plug with no success I'd try plugging just the interconnect without the preamp. RFI would should still be present.

Good luck...

Rob

----------------

On 12/11/2004 9:54:37 AM Daddy Dee wrote:

I have thought it silly to put directional arrows on interconnects. However, when I am setting up my system and using Monster interconnects, the arrows seem compelling... So plug them in so the signal flows the way the arrow points. Power of suggestion is strong, eh?
14.gif

----------------

Dad: me too. And I certainly know better!

Ok, I'm not proud. I followed the arrows.

And then bad-mouth the whole idea. What's up with that!?

I should add that these "directional" ic's are on the VIDEO gear only! I'm not completely gullable!

DM2.gif

I believe AudioQuest CD cables also had little arrows on them, and I followed that.

(Redd Foxx saying) Big Dummie

The reason for the arrows is that users tend to plug into their Components first. Now if you don't have arrows you may forget to plug straight into your RCA jacks.

Attempting to plug them in sideways results usually in either cable or Component damage. Attempting to hammer them in place results in failure not covered by the arrowed Warranty.

Now there is another reason - self colonoscopies. Camera and instructions not included.

There have been cases where as the Interconnect were dangling the arrows pointed toward the wall. It's to give a real life test that Interconnects and either Plaster or Drywall do not provide music.

The arrows may help point to where your components are placed.

They also help you to know Newton's Theory on Gravity. When the arrows

point ^ that is up, \/ is down.

dodger9.gif

----------------

On 12/13/2004 3:01:44 PM D-MAN wrote:

----------------

On 12/11/2004 9:54:37 AM Daddy Dee wrote:

I have thought it silly to put directional arrows on interconnects. However, when I am setting up my system and using Monster interconnects, the arrows seem compelling... So plug them in so the signal flows the way the arrow points. Power of suggestion is strong, eh?
14.gif

----------------

Dad: me too. And I certainly know better!

Ok, I'm not proud. I followed the arrows.

And then bad-mouth the whole idea. What's up with that!?

I should add that these "directional" ic's are on the VIDEO gear only! I'm not completely gullable!

DM
2.gif

----------------

i believe they are there to lure us into a false sense of security

Rob,

I don't remember if I tried just the interconnects w/o the preamp or not. Seems to me I've tried everything by now and had given up for awhile. I can't hear it when I'm playing music.

The cheater plugs didn't work and I've never hooked the TV cable to it.

Someone suggested unplugging all the TV's in the house to isolate the cable from the power in case the cable is somehow introducing the ground loop into the power somehow. I don't know, but I'll try it.

----------------

On 12/10/2004 3:54:28 PM Gramas701 wrote:

i just bought 5 pairs of canare analog interconnects and i found out that they are not labeled for direction, i was wondering if anyone here knew how to test the direction of the cable? thanks for your help

----------------

I had the same sort of cables connected in the wrong direction. Unfortunately it introduced high levels of EMI into my system. This did not only affect my home theater, but it also affected every audio system in my entire house negatively.

I originally thought the direction thing was bogus too. After I changed them to the correct direction the difference was noticeable.

It's not about the direct of the flow of current with directional cables. It is about sheilding and if you look at a true directional rca terminated cable you will see one of the rac plus is sheilded.

This works and is not BS just a sheilded cable that's all.

----------------

On 12/18/2004 8:13:36 PM mdrums wrote:

It's not about the direct of the flow of current with directional cables. It is about sheilding and if you look at a true directional rca terminated cable you will see one of the rac plus is sheilded.

This works and is not BS just a sheilded cable that's all.

----------------

Right on, mdrums! I and Meuge said the same thing above, but somehow it didn't stick.

Larry