Home Depot Outdoor Landscape Lighting Wire?

Mike Frankel

Mike

I have been replacing my Home Depot indoor 12GA to the black outdoor 12GA, used for low volt lighting, in my HT.

The indoor 12GA got very brittle and started to turn green after about 1 1/2 years.

It sounds fine.

Lucky that I ran conduits to all my speaker locations so I could easily repull the wire.

JM

I think the 12awg wire jacket for the in-house from HD reacted with the copper,Not sure if the outdoor is the same.

Right now,Im using 8awg THHN for speaker wire.

I would rate this setup as good as any Monster wire Ive had in the last 20 years,Im going to switch back after a few more months and see what my perceptions are.

12awg low volt/outdoor will work fine for speaker wire!

There are also other inexpensive 12awg speaker wires with clear tubing that wont turn green and will give you more bling than the 12awg black lv zip cord not sold at HD.

Gauge matters most.12awg is plenty for most runs

Im just experimenting a little

If you dont like it you can allways go the high buck route.

Tomski

• 6 years later...

Sorry for bringing up some oldies.

Im going to switch back after a few more months and see what my perceptions are.

Tomski

It looks like you might not be using the forum any more but......Any perceptions to relate? Anyone else that has been using this for years? Any input?

Since I can get a good discount on this stuff I figured this might be a good idea.

I know normally this type of wire is a fine strand type. I have been reading some other posts that solid wire is good for lows but not highs. So Does anyone know if a fine strand is also ok/good for lows? Or is it better to stick with a regular/medium strand type

If I get any of this I think I would have to get a 500' roll. If I do this depending on the price is anyone interested in 250" of 12/2?