stereo preamp with XLR outputs?

KungFuNat

----------------

On 12/13/2004 2:27:01 PM NatGun wrote:

im looking for a good stereo preamp with ballanced XLR outputs......

----------------

Not to open up a can of worms here but for all practicle purposes, xlr or "ballanced outputs" are pretty much a waste on home audio. There is a reason for them, they are used in LARGE setups like at your ball park where LOTS of speakers need to be driven but most "ballanced outputs" are simply wired the same as an rca jack. So you have the same output but on even worse connectors.

Ok guys, fire away, I stand by my statement.

cablacksmith, I've got to back you up on this one. XLR line feeds are used primarily in industrial and PA applications where the line-level runs are longer than 30 feet. Example would be massive 'flown' PA systems with amp racks near the speaker stacks. All lines run from mix position in the house, through snake cable to stage box, to processing, to amp racks would be XLR balanced lines for protection from hum and noise.

In the odd chance that your power amps have only XLR inputs, you can build a set of cheater cables from RCA or 1/4" to XLR. If you know which end of the soldering iron to hold (it's a joke son).

IMHO it would be negligible use in home audio, but the connectors look neat-o!

y'know how REALLY heavy-duty stuff is called military-spec, well there's one better and that's ROCK-N-ROLL spec! YEEEEOOOWW

Michael

i know that for short runs XLR doesnt do alot for the sound... the reason i want XLR is because i am trying to aquire a set of monarchy audio sm-70pro monoblocks which aparently work at thier best with ballanced input... so im trying to get a feel for whats out there for an XLR preamp. i want to upgrade my rotel preamp to take advantage of the ballanced monoblocks.

*** All of my pre-outs are using the XLR's on my system. ***

I use the B+K Reference 50 Pre-amp/processor into my Baldwin Tube amp , my surround Amps and my RSW-15 Sub !

*** Just incredible !!! (...but the Ref 50 costs more than $500 used ! )