WTB: Good amp

Erukian

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the Forum, I'd say you've gotten pretty good responses. Notice that once we get more info re your needs, like $$ range and size of your room (tiny), we're able to help more.

We like to help out the new guys, that's how they become loud and rich OLD guys like us! For college dorm room, that Yammie 570 at $125? sounds like a good find. Nice clean sound, course its only 2 ch, but you can buy the big HT receiver when you graduate. Yamaha's usually have a variable loudness (not volume) control, which give you a bit of adjustment to bass at varying volumes.

Good Listening!

Michael

I have a Yamaha CR-2040 (120 x 2) that I'd be willing to let go. I have no idea about it's worth, but here's the condition of it (I can get pics later)

I bought it new around 1980 give/take. It was always my primary unit until 1993 or so, when I bought Yamaha's 2030 HT unit (if I got number correct)

I CONTINUED to use the 2040 as power for my rear speakers.

The power button quit on me, so took to shop to get fixed, they could not get replacement, BUT, seems the way the button is configured, they could REVERSE it and make it work. So, today, to turn unit ON, you push button and it pops OUT (to what you might think is off position) and to turn it OFF, you push button to the depressed position.

If memory serves me, some of the tuner light bulbs are out. By & large, that's about it...as I recall, everything else works fine.

Sound? I just recently had it connected to my newly acquired K-horns and it's power is just fine (though I didn't like it's sound with the K-horns, so I bought a tube)

My wife would LOVE to see some of my 'stuff' go.

Let me know if you care to see pics & I'll try to take some at home. Other than what shipping might do to the cost, I'd imagine you could have this within your budget

I just looked for one on EBAY and found none...I'll post a picture tonight.

I'm eyeballing $200? if the local guru's think that's overpriced, hopefully they'll (kindly) tell me so.

my room dimensions are 10x13x8. I have a pair of RB-25's (rated 75W max, but i'll never ever crank em that high) and a Hsu STF-2 sub.

I'm hoping to pay no more than 150. Right now i have the Harman Kardon 340 (not the 430). It's not a dual power supply amp and it's rated at 20 watts per channel. Harm Dist 0.08

The Yammi CA-800 amp puts out 45 watts per channel. Harm Dist 0.1%, IM Dist 0.1, 10-50 Freq Resp, damp Fact 70.

Both are mid-70's amps. I do like the laid-back sound of that the HK has, but when the Yammi played classical, oh man.. I played the trumpet for 8 years and i've never heard it sound so real on my speakers. The yammi really opened it up. It was a pricey unit in it's time and the yammi today sells for at least 100-150. It just has a crackle-pop issue that kicks in about 10 minutes after the amp is turned on, i cant for the life of me figure out what's causing it. Otherwise it sounds great.

I like the sound of the HK, but i think it'd sound a lot better with more power. I feel like my HK is struggling when I want to play music loud. The Yammi really gave me a ear-opening experience.

I saw what you wrote, here's a couple pics none the less. Now that I think about it, I think one of the little push buttons don't work. (they don't stay depressed) I don't recall if it's the high frequency button, or perhaps, the button that converts meters from output strength, to signal strength for tuner.

none the less, if you look close, you can see the power button is pushed IN. That is now the off position and out is now the on position. 3.gif

post-15072-13819259891618_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 12/16/2004 10:30:38 PM tillmbil wrote:

I have an HK430 now and an HK630 on the way. The PA2000 is good, I am just not using it and am really into the older gear. My HT has two Yamaha M series 1980 amps. The M80 250wpc and M65 165wpc.

----------------

Did you win that 930 the other day?

No, I do not want to pay over $100 for one. I have read on this Forum were the lower powered twin amps have a better sound. I really wanted a HK730, but keep missing. I tried the HK430 on my pool speakers one day... 2 rock speakers and 2 klipsch... it immediately sounded better than the PA2000. I can not say that it was the PA200 though because I also did not like my pre amp.

I now have a Onkyo M504 amp and an Onkyo preamp and it sounds as good as the HK430, just a little lighter on the bass.