Bit more tech from the house of tech.....

maxg

I filled my external 160 Gb drive - I can't believe it!! Took less than 3 months too.

So....I bought another one - of course they dont make 160's any more - 300 Gb!! 300!!!!! OMFG - we are talking weeks to fill that 11.gif

Of course daisy chaining the 2 together over firewire crashed big time (support call into Maxstor as I type) so I got one on the server and one on my workstation (in the office that is - I dont have a dedicated server at home - all peer to peer).

Definitly glad I didnt go wireless - I am moving 100 Gb of data here!!

Anyway I will leave the 160 at the office and use the 300 as the main home storage / portable office backup.

Just sharing - tee hee - as in info not just data.

----------------

Of course daisy chaining the 2 together over firewire crashed big time

----------------

Are these PC's? Never seen this behavior on OS X unless of course the OS is on the Firewire drive and I unplug it : ).

Firewire is incredible I want to experiment with using the IP over Firewire which I just haven't had time to do.

I want a computer that runs on tubes so I have a better chance of surviving emp from a nuke : ) wonder how big that would be hmmm....

Yup Seti - PC's they are - doesnt that just figure!

I think you will find computers used to run on tubes / valves. They were not small and not powerful. I guess a modern PC portable like mine would require a city block to build with tubes.

and if you wanted to have 460 Gb of storage on tapes....

How many puchcards would it take to fill my crappy mp3 collection ? Hmmmmmm

It couldn't possibly cost that much to run HAH. A friend and I were going to pick up this old mainframe from Chicago until we found out the Power/AC bill alone was $10K a month. It was free but the WAF factor would have been off the charts.

Well I wasnt expecting any problems either. I am wondering if it was the fact that one drive was 160 Gb and formatted using Win32 and the other was 300 GB and formatted using NTFS that was the problem.

I thought I would be safe with both drives from the same manufacturer - ah well.

We will see what Maxstor say - maybe there it is a known bug and there is a workaround.

I believe Panther 10.3 is 64-bit. I could be mistaken.

----------------

On 12/14/2004 11:56:08 AM mdeneen wrote:

I regularly daisy chain 160GB drives on Firewire with OS X and have no problems. Same drives are also accessed wirelessly from other computers running iTunes - again, no problem. But hey, it's a MAC and 32-bit UNIX is far more reliable than DOS!

mdeneen

----------------

Hmm now I have seen problems with PCs if they temporarily loose connection with a firewire drive this can lock them up perhaps when you plugged in the other drive it temporarily lost it's mind and seemed to be unavailable which sent winders into the downward spiral. Just a guess have you tried shutting down the computer plugging them the firewire drives in perhaps even in a different order and then booting up?

----------------

On 12/14/2004 12:06:00 PM No Disc wrote:

I believe Panther 10.3 is 64-bit. I could be mistaken.

If you have a G5 it is 64bit gimmie gimmie

----------------

On 12/14/2004 11:56:08 AM mdeneen wrote:

I regularly daisy chain 160GB drives on Firewire with OS X and have no problems. Same drives are also accessed wirelessly from other computers running iTunes - again, no problem. But hey, it's a MAC and 32-bit UNIX is far more reliable than DOS!

mdeneen

----------------

Unix is lightyears ahead of DOS\Windows hmm let see it's been in development since the 60's.

I tried a bunch of variations in cabling, boot order etc. The drives boot fine and both are accessible until the time you start to do a big copy - then it says "preparing to copy" a bunch of flashing lights on the drives, some humming, a waltz around the CPU and the system hangs.

Well hangs isnt really the right word - XP doesnt generally do that - it sort of stops and continues EXTREMELY slowly. If you are patent the computer comes back in about 20 mintues of you telling it to close a "not responding application". Then you get a message about a buffer not emptying or something and it is time for all good men to re-boot.

I had 3 goes - all with my anti-virus auto-protect disabled (learned that one the hard way - never do big copies with the AV on - slows everything down to 25% of usualy speed - Norton anyway!).

Frankly this is just a one off exercise anyway. One disk will remain at the office - one at home. I just want to pick up useful stuff from the one in the office to have an off-site backup. The network has worked flawlessly thus far.

At my last job I was in charge of a 4TB SAN well RAID 10 so that made it 2TB and yes we managed to slice a bit off for ourselves for storing mpg/mp3s. Dam that was fast nothing better than fiberoptic storage. I miss that leviathan and it's blinky lights.

I have windows xp professional and never had a crash. So are there more benefits to a mac os than reliability? Because mine seems pretty stable. I do notice after a year or two it's starting to slow down. The downloading of web pages are starting creap a bit. I had xp me and it crashed all the time. Then again I was a beginner, and man was it frustrating learning on a computer that crashed all the time. Any recomendations on how to get my web pages to pop up quicker? Sorry if this is off topic. I figured I would sneek a question in on the tech talk.

----------------

On 12/14/2004 6:02:39 PM wheelman wrote:

I have windows xp professional and never had a crash. So are there more benefits to a mac os than reliability? Because mine seems pretty stable. I do notice after a year or two it's starting to slow down. The downloading of web pages are starting creap a bit. I had xp me and it crashed all the time. Then again I was a beginner, and man was it frustrating learning on a computer that crashed all the time. Any recomendations on how to get my web pages to pop up quicker? Sorry if this is off topic. I figured I would sneek a question in on the tech talk.

----------------

I have to use windows and os x for work but for personal use I prefer OS X just a preference like ss or tube. I had a win2k pro computer go almost 2 years without a reinstall which was a record for me. Now with all the adware/spyware/virus/trojan issues that are out it can be easily avoided by using mac os x. I have issues with an OS that will let software load on your computer without your knowledge just by visiting a webpage very dangerous imho. I wish I had bought my parents a mac as I spend many hours a month cleaning up after them. I think as an OS windows was at it's height with win2k pro and or win98 se. If you want to see how bloated and slow windows has become put win 98se on a new machine and it will just scream. I think this is why alot of people are using linux/os x instead of windows now.

If your internet connection has slowed down it could be because of to much adware/spyware try running adaware if you haven't already. good luck

9.gif