Extended Edition ROTK

damonrpayne

Awesome.

Satisfying.

Really Long!

I actually bought the gift set with the little Minas Tirith miniature and the DVD of Howard Shore conducting the score. I'm a little lost for words as to how to talk about the new stuff without spoilers. Anyone else spend 5 hours of their life on this movie yet?

----------------

On 12/15/2004 11:38:52 AM damonrpayne wrote:

Awesome.

Satisfying.

Really Long!

I actually bought the gift set with the little Minas Tirith miniature and the DVD of Howard Shore conducting the score. I'm a little lost for words as to how to talk about the new stuff without spoilers. Anyone else spend 5 hours of their life on this movie yet?

----------------

I plan on stopping by the local Best Buy to pick this up after work. Now, to find the 5 hours of my time to sit and watch this. I'll just read-between-the-lines of your post and take it that it is well worth getting this for the new stuff. I also planned on picking up the "deluxe" gift-set version, with the figurine and extra disks. I did for the other two, so, might as well complete the set.

----------------

On 12/15/2004 6:23:39 PM damonrpayne wrote:

Its really cool skonopa. I got the gift set as well, the minas tirith thing is good quality. Tonight I'll probably watch the Howard Shore/symphony dvd on my laptop while I do some work.

----------------

Well, I went and picked it up - the deluxe gift set version, with the Minas Tirith figurine. Since I had the other two deluxe gift sets (Fellowship - with the bookends, and Towers, with the Gollum figurine), might as well get the third to compelete the set. That Minus Tirith figurine is pretty darn cool. Now, if I can find the time to actually watch the thing. Since I got that Monday after Christmas off as a paid holiday, and don't have anything really planned for that day (will be back home from visiting my brother and skiing that weekend). May watch it then.

----------------

On 12/16/2004 12:46:20 PM m00n wrote:

5 hours... Dayam. Gonna be a butt buster for sure.

----------------

From IMDB.com (my emphasis):

Runtime: 201 min / USA:251 min (extended edition)

Yes! 251 minutes! That is about 4 hours and 11 minutes total running time. Figure you take a 10 minute "P&P" break between the two disks, and there you go! Nearly 5 hours to watch just one friggan movie! But, maaaaan! What a friggan movie it is!

Footnote: "P&P" break - "P1ss & Popcorn" break. Run to the john as well as cook up another batch of popcorn in the nuker before starting the next disk.

50 minutes of additional footage! That is nearly half a typical feature-lengh movie right there, and longer than most typical TV programs (when you cut out all the commercials). For example, all those Star Trek episodes, that I got on DVD, without the commercials, run about 44 minutes each!

WOW.... I'm at the intermission point right now, just changing disks & getting some munchies. I can't believe the quality in these movies. The visual is great & the Audio is just plain sick! The part where the Orks & the Gorgo? thing is crashing the gate.... damn.... had my whole basement a shakin! This is why I have invested in a home theater.... too bad you can't see the permagrin I have goin right now lol....

I can just imagine with all the subs you've got! The M&K sub I have seems to do the job pretty well though... enough to where my dog didn't want to be in the same room anymore :)

Hey did you notice the offer in the extended version for the premium slip case, to hold all three special extended editions? I believe I will be checking into that. $3.00! The web address is : www.lotrdvdbox.com