ASL Wave AV-25 Monoblocks

audiobliss69

Howdy, all. It's been quite a while since I've posted, guess I've been pretty busy. Anyways, I'm looking to get into tubes maybe sometime next year. To refresh your memory, my system currently is:

Yamaha RX-V1400

Klipsch RF-35

Compaq desktop as source

And that sums up the stereo part of it, which is all I'm really interested in right now. Anyways, I ran across some nice looking tube amps in Audio Advisor: the ASL Wave AV-25 monoblocks. I really don't know a thing about tubes, but at $700 for a pair, the advantages of monoblocks, and 25 watts per channel, I don't see that this could be bad!

It looks to me like a good way to get into tubes. Does anyone have any experience with these? Do you think they'd mate well with my RF-35s? Sorry if they've been mentioned before; I didn't find anything on them in a search.

Thanks!!

I think the ASL MG-SI 15 DT Integrated Vacum Tube Amplifier with True SET Single-Ended design would be a better choice to experiment with. It has selectable triode and 15 watt pentode operation. AA's web site has them for $899.00. It also comes with a wooden remote for source and volume control.

This is very interesting to me. I've heard numerous times, numerous places (ok; 3 times two places? 3.gif ) that monoblocks are better than multi-channel amps for various reasons. However, both times & both places I've brought up these monoblockds, somebody has steered me towards an integrated amp. I really don't understand why this is. I'm not disputing what you said, as I bet you know a lot more about this than I do, but I don't understand why this is.

In my mind, the monoblocks would be better for just the same reasons why SS monoblocks are better. Are there advantages to the pre in an integrated? I would use my RX-V1400 as a pre, at least for a while. I would then (I hope) replace it with a separate pre. Hopefull a tube pre (maybe the ASL Wave pre).

I just can't see how the integrated is better than a monoblock/pre combination. I would love an explanation.

I guess I really like the idea of these monoblocks because I've already thought of how I might set them up. I could have pieces of glass cut to the size of the tops of my speakers and put rubber feet on them. Then, I could put the glass on the top of my speakers and the monoblocks on the glass.

Anyhoo, I'm obviously still learning about all this; keep it coming!!

I just purchased the 30watts per channel ASL AQ1003DT integrated tube amp fromm AA and like it alot. One reason why I chose integrated was the simplicity of it. I also read a good review at www.enjoythemusic.com about the AQ1003DT amp.

But I am sure the new ASL Waves AV-25 are just as good or better than the AQ1003DT. You can read a review about the older version Waves there.

Do you know if there is anything special about the matching pre-amp that makes it work better with the AV-25s?

Congratulations on the AQ1003DT!! I've looked at it a little bit. How do you like only having three inputs? I thought that I really wouldn't like that, and might even buy a pre to use with it just so I could have more sources. What do you think about running a pre with an integrated? Why would you recommend the matching pre?

Thanks!

The pre amp signal is very important. You want one that matches your amps and delivers a clean signal to your amps.I do not know if your current pre amp would work or not.

I only have one source. A Phillips CD, SACD, DVD Audio player. My vinyl is on hold since I bought my new player.

Be very carefull when buying amps. Make sure they will match your speakers. My AQ1003DT sounds better with my less sensitive 88 db SF Concertino speakers placed close to the wall than with my very sensitive 99 db Forte 2 speakers. I use my B&K MOSFET solid state combo to drive the Forte's.

----------------

On 12/16/2004 4:40:49 PM aviserated wrote:

I think the ASL MG-SI 15 DT Integrated Vacum Tube Amplifier with True SET Single-Ended design would be a better choice to experiment with. It has selectable triode and 15 watt pentode operation. AA's web site has them for $899.00. It also comes with a wooden remote for source and volume control.

----------------

I am pretty sure this amp would be a better choice for your 98 db sensitive Klipsch RF 35 speakers. It will also play very loud if wanted with these speakers.

When I used my 30 watts per channel, push pull, solid state rectified, AQ1003DT amp with my Fortes. I could only use 1/8 (7:30 o'clock) of the volume dial. This was not this amps sweet spot, which is 9:00 on the dial. I think with the MG-SI 15 you would be in the sweet spot. Epecially in triode mode. You have some very sensitive speakers.

Check out these sights www.welbornelabs.com, www.roger-russell.com

----------------

On 12/16/2004 7:55:42 PM audiobliss69 wrote:

Thank-you. What do you think about Dared tube amps? I had never heard about them until I found some online today. Do they have website? I can't find it.

----------------

I am new to this audio stuff also. Never heard of them.

Someone needs to educate both of use concerning amps. New or used.

I use and very much enjoy my AQ1003DT ( integrated 30w/channel ) with my 1982 KHORNS. My unit is a generation or two behind the current models. The monoblocs you are considering are probably excellent value.

Do bear in mind that they are power amps and will need a preamp ahead of them.

Dared's website in China:

http://www.daredtube.com/

My brother is selling his mint Dared VP-16 integrated PP tube amp on eBay; if interested, check out his auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3280&item=5738429717&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I'm not sure as to the advantages/disadvantages of owning an integrated (with builtin preamp) over a pair of monoblocks (which needs a seperate preamp); others more knowledgable than I will hopefully chime in here and explain the facts to all of us.