OH WOW! Just built my first DIY speakers!

kenratboy

I have always been facinated by single driver and line array speakers because there is no X-over or other issues.

Not my goal of sound, but just something to play with.

As for the issue of the 901's - they are REALLY expensive and you could get a pair of RF-7's for the same price (used or good deal) - Hmmmm... However, for the $10, 15 I spent, they are amazing.

Ken, you have no idea how many of us have been through this same experimentation phase. I liken it to a photographer the first time he puts an exposed piece of photo paper in the developer and watches the magic take place as the image comes into being. This is good science class for you young friend.

My first experiment was two 8" Utah duo-cone speakers (previously from my Dad's office ceiling system) contained first on baffle board, then in box. I remember the final version being painted with aluminum paint with some hideous cloth from my Mom's sewing scraps as a grill. Played that for about a year until I bought first real stereo. Age- about 14. Great fun.

Before all the surround speakers came into being, I experimented with some 4" butyl surround 'full range' drivers from MCM electronics, siliconed onto end of PVC piping, with various lengths of tubing being the 'transmission line'. Tons of fun.

Have a blast and keep experimenting. Keeps the brain waves active, you know!

Michael

----------------

On 12/16/2004 10:32:07 PM Daddy Dee wrote:

3DZapper,

I don't think I'm tracking on the transmission line terminology. Could you say more about that?

----------------

DD, I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier. Transmission line speakers have their own cult like us horn-heads. Building a transmission line, which is a form of exponential horn, is a way to get bass from those aenemic Lowthers and Fostex's by back loading the driver into a long expanding enclosure. The direct radiating single element Lowthers, et al have great mid-range, the transmission line adds some bass. Erik Mandeville has a pair he plays with.

They ain't Klipschorns!

Rick

"I have always been facinated by single driver and line array speakers because there is no X-over or other issues."

Some of those cheap assed vintage full-range drivers sound pretty good if your into playing with audio on the cheap. Or a co-axial of some sort.

I picked up a pair of nice JBL signature D-208's 8 inchers locally for 50 bucks with enclosures last spring.

They lack bass (the enclosures are too small) and a bit of top-end.

But the midrange with a 300B amp isn't bad at all.

With subs and a 075 for a helper tweeter, it does pretty good.

Not really cheap vintage though....

But I've used Norelco/Philips 12" full-rangers, Lafayette/Criterion 10", a 12" Realistic/Utah Co-ax(not bad),a Whiteley 9 inch job, and various other raggedy-assed console speakers.(Some aren't bad, some are really bad.)

Build some cabinets about 3, 4 foot internal volume. Make a couple baffles you can swap out for 10" and 12".

Make a couple of port holes in the baffles, and use ports out of a heavy cardboard. Then you can adjust the ports to tune the woofer to the cabinet.

You can use full range drivers or a woofer full range in the cabinet with a helper tweeter.

I have cabinets like above. If I can figure out where the best crossover points are, I'll go three way with the Criterion 10" in the 3 foot cabinet tuned to 35 hertz, with the JBL D-208 for a midrange, and the JBL 075 for the tweeter.

The 10" woofer can really use a Zobel network.

There is a company called PHY? They make some spendy full range driver with Alnico magnets, blah..blah..

They use a open baffle with little wings on each side.

So if you look at it from the top, it looks like a "U".

The wings are attached to the front baffle with like piano hinges or something.

I like to play too, it's what audio is all about IMO.

----------------

On 12/22/2004 9:10:58 PM 3dzapper wrote:

----------------

On 12/16/2004 10:32:07 PM Daddy Dee wrote:

3DZapper,

I don't think I'm tracking on the transmission line terminology. Could you say more about that?

----------------

DD, I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier. Transmission line speakers have their own cult like us horn-heads. Building a transmission line, which is a form of exponential horn, is a way to get bass from those aenemic Lowthers and Fostex's by back loading the driver into a long expanding enclosure. The direct radiating single element Lowthers, et al have great mid-range, the transmission line adds some bass. Erik Mandeville has a pair he plays with.

They ain't Klipschorns!

Rick

----------------

Along these lines, here is something interesting I found. Madisound has a speaker kit consisting of a Fostex full-range driver mounted into a folded-horn speaker cabinet. Would be interesting to play with, but I don't have the $635 right now for the kit (which builds one pair of speakers).

Here is a picture of what the finished speaker would look like.

bk16_finished.jpg