PaulParrot's first CD player

Parrot

----------------

On 12/18/2004 8:30:01 PM Allan Songer wrote:

----------------

On 12/18/2004 8:25:51 AM scott0527 wrote:

Paul, your decor has come a long way since early 80's! Thanks for the old pics.
----------------

"There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste"

--Goethe

----------------

"Or malice without aforethought..."

-Edwin

dtl100.jpg

I bought my very first CD player in '84 when Carver introduced its first-generation player, the DTL-100 (also known as the "Carver Compact Disc Player"). It had a "Digital Time Lens" feature that was supposed to make the first-generation CDs sound less harsh and more warm like analog...it added more ambience than I cared for, so I bypassed this feature the majority of the time. It too, was very solid in its day, and sounded very good for a 16-bit machine. Unfortunantly, it developed transport tracking failure about 10 years down the road and eventually got donated to Goodwill.8.gif

post-11084-13819259978528_thumb.jpg

No, Paul...it wasn't adjustable. It was either on or off.

As I recall, it didn't add any echo effect, but when depressed the overall tone did get wider (and also muddier to my ears). On some really screechy harsh 1st-gen digital (DDD) CDs, the DTL did help reduce this distortion and smoothed out the tonal qualities of said CDs...on others it just made the sound thicker and more spacial (wider). Overall, it was just another digital processor that to me just changed the overall characteristics of the original recording to an unrealistic soundscape.

I never cared much for DSP and equalization...if done properly with poor recordings I'm sure they serve their purpose. But for me they just aren't worth it, especially with excellent recordings that need no tonal manipulation (just like Carver's patented Sonic Holography; a nice feature to be sure, but if missused can really mess up the sound to artificial levels IMO). Different strokes for different folks...guess that's why ol' Bob Carver added bypass buttons on all his processors (you can't please everyone, but it provided a means to experiment).

I remember sitting in on a Carver sales rep's demo at a dealer's showroom for a Sonic Holography unit. None of us really cared for it, but boy was that salesman enthusiastic, and the dealer seemed to like it. I talked to the dealer after the rep left and he said that actually he had zero interest in the Sonic Holography, and was just humoring the rep because he was interested in carrying the tiny little 400W cube amp.

P1010584_01.jpg

Actually, 201 WPC @ 8 ohms, 300 WPC @ 4 ohms, and 500 watts total in bridged mono...

But I knew what you meant, Paul!9.gif I owned three of these lil' cubes over the years, and with my JBL and Magnepans, weren't bad amps considering their Magnetic Field circuitry weren't exactly what Bob had intended (his latest Sunfire amps are the nutz, though...)2.gif

post-11084-13819259978828_thumb.jpg

"We know accurately only when we know little. With knowledge, doubt increases."

-Goethe

Sorry, I wanted to play too!

How about...

"The public wishes itself to be managed like a woman; one must say nothing to it except what it likes to hear."

-Goethe

That one sume this place up most of the time.

• 3 weeks later...