PaulParrot's first CD player

Parrot

This one that sold on eBay isn't mine, but it's the same model. I got mine in 1984 for $299 on a close-out special and it came with a coupon for 10 FREE CDs of my choice. This was still back in the first-generation, high-dollar CD player era, when $1000 was a fairly normal price. That was an excellent machine, worked well for 6 or 7 years and then it started acting up. Sounded one heckuva lot better than the Sony units of the time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3272&item=3858955016&rd=1

Here are a couple of old snaps from 1987, shortly after I purchased my Khorns. In the first one you can see the Magnavox CD player on the first shelf down. Two shelves down from it is my old EICO HFT-90 mono FM tuner. The EICO HF-12 was elsewhere in the room. The TV resided there for about a day.

mageico.jpg

Here is a bad photograph of three of my reel-to-reel decks. From left to right a Revox A77 half track, a Revox A77 quarter track, and a Crown 880 quarter track. The cactus is partially obscuring the right Khorn. I think my entire CD collection at the time was on those bottom two shelves!

crownetc.jpg

Marantz, from the best of my recollection, also did a model based on this same chassis. Later Meridian released a version in overseas markets. It featured 14 bit 4 times over sampling processor. I was too slow and missed the first model. But I purchased the model after that, being a gold coloured Marantz CD12 (I think that's the model number - I gave it to my mother and it's now boxed up somewhere in my mess). Surprisingly good sound from 14 bits. Construction quality leaves the current crop of competitors well behind.

Here is an example of MY first CD player. I bought it about 1992 or so. I finally had to buy one of these damn things because just about any new music I wanted to hear was available only on CD. I still have it--it's part of my garage system and it's still going strong--built like a TANK!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3272&item=3860162968&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I bought a portable Sony D4 back in '87.

I was sick of cassette eating car decks, and I didn't want to pay the price for a decent deck.

Soon found out line-out wasn't enough gain for car amps, volume out wasn't much better.

We took one of those little powered pair of speakers for a Discman, trashed the speakers, and used it for a pre-amp for the little D4 Sony in the car/van.

I had a '66 Econoline van that had a pair of 12" Kickers in some old Fisher cabinets, some magnavox squawkers, radial domes, 6x9's, a couple of amps....a rolling PA speaker. Poor man's stereo.

It was the Tinnitus wagon, but when you rolled into a keg by the river and threw the doors open and got away from the van 50, 100 feet, it didn't sound bad.

Once somebody in a Jeep cut myself off rather bad in traffic. The Discman sat on the doghouse on a pillow.

I slammed the brakes hard enough to just SLAM the little Sony on the floorboard hard. I thought it was shattered, It retracked and started playing again.

(Any new one would have been smashed into pieces.)

Of course, I could buy 5 or 6 portables for what I paid for it nowdays.

Vintage CD players.....too bad they didn't have little odometers, or hour meters....

----------------

On 12/18/2004 8:25:51 AM scott0527 wrote:

Paul, your decor has come a long way since early 80's! Thanks for the old pics.

----------------

You're welcome. That was a basement apartment I lived in a while, complete with $3-a-sheet paneling. The square footage in there was great although it needed a higher ceiling. I'm glad I had tip-toes on the bottoms of my Khorns because there was one time after a heavy storm when the edges of the place had a quarter-inch or so of water. Tip-toes saved the day.

----------------

On 12/18/2004 1:49:17 AM mike stehr wrote:

I always wanted the D-555....I liked the DSP option.

I think they were around $500 new back then?

----------------

thereabouts, saw a reference of $499.99 retail, seem to recall getting mine for closer to $400.. Musical little player, including a write-up on portables that Steve Rochlin published last year.