Altec 19 vs. Cornwall or La Scala?

Piranha

I heard a pair once and was not to impressed with there performance. They are about the size of a Belle Klipsch but the woofer is bass reflex and not horn loaded. The room and positions that they were in were not ideal but I was not overly impressed by their sound either way. I had Belle Klipsch at the time and would have easily chosen them over the Altec Model 19's.

Piranha---I'd take the 19 over the CW and certainly over the LS. But remember that I prefer Altec sound to Klipsch sound in the first place and have traded CWs for 605s. And 19s are superior to 605s.

The 19 was Altec's last effort at a home varient of the VOT. The crossover was new and had circuitry to extend the top end response. The crossover point was moved up from the 800hz of the Valencia to 1200. This raised eyebrows but the thinking was to put the crossover at the point where the dispersion patterns of the woofer and horn were the same.

Some Altec fans hold the 19 to be the best of the "home" Altecs. It's certainly the best looking.

Cyclone---The hole is normal, it vents the voicecoil.

I was also looking at that pair. You should be able according to members on the Altec forum to get an immaculate pair for 900 - 1000. This pair has a lot of delamination going on & the voice coils have been replaced. They were also made in the 80's. I would be surprised if he gets more than his asking price.

----------------

On 12/20/2004 11:50:23 AM TBrennan wrote:

Cyclone---The hole is normal, it vents the voicecoil.

----------------

Tom... Thanks.... I wasn't sure, since it looks like it is melted around it, & on the other one it is not burned, but the crossover was.

My "pipe dream" speakers were Altec Lansing Model 19s, but I lucked into some 1984 Cornwalls (B cabinet condition but A sonically) for $40 and considered it s steal. Basically, unless I score 19s for a similar price, what would be the point?

I use solid state amplification in any event, which is considered sacrilegious for both. (I guess I'm going to Hell!) 1.gif

Thanks,