Power Cord Demags? or Wraps?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Have any of you ever seen those wraps that are about an inch long and about half an inch thick and you cna put them around your power cord right where it meets your reciever or other component and it is supposed to reduce magnetic interference... do you know what these are called? i can't find them online any where and i have a handful of them and i was wondering what they are called and exactly there purpose thank you

Greetings:

Easy one for me, I use a bunch of them.

They are called "CHOKES."

I get mine at Radio Shack.

They split open and snap closed. Sometimes they have the rectangular model on sale. I buy those and hold them in place with electrical tape. They go around the entire cord. Another Advisor sells them for 5x the price with the same capability.

Merry Christmas

dodger

Guest Anonymous

excelent, i just installed them on my new 2 ch stereo and i got them for free!!! excelent, i couldn't fiugure what they were called but this helps thanks a lot

----------------

On 12/20/2004 4:24:47 PM Gramas701 wrote:

excelent, i just installed them on my new 2 ch stereo and i got them for free!!! excelent, i couldn't fiugure what they were called but this helps thanks a lot

----------------

Merry Christmas, you've received presents early!

dodger

Guest Anonymous

that i have, thats pretty much all i could have needed and didn't know i needed at this point, this system is getting stacked. I have a few extra if any body wants them i will give them away if someone wants to pay for shippin which i imagine would be very little for something so small? if its under a dollar i will take care of it. anyways thanks

----------------

On 12/21/2004 1:53:18 PM DrWho wrote:

hang on, what exactly are they supposed to do?

----------------

If you live near a radio, tv, airport where there's a lot of strong signal, that the emi/rfi filters don't fully take care of, they go around the cord, protect it from stray signal, including monster CB.

Radio Shack is the same thing as AA but a LOT cheaper.

EDIT POST:

THEY ARE FERRITE, a google search will give a better explanation.

END EDIT

----------------

On 12/21/2004 1:53:18 PM DrWho wrote:

hang on, what exactly are they supposed to do?

----------------

I geuss they can kill off stray hash. You'll see them wrapped around the (line?) side of power cords on some CD and DVD units.

I don't have any RFI problems for the ferrite rings to remedy. I've tried them on CD players that didn't have them.

One of those subtle things that one may not even notice.

I think if you get too many on the line cord you'll start sucking the HF out the player, never tried it to confirm so who knows....