Cornwall's hoked up - first impressions

eq_shadimar

Actually this is from yesterday but I posted it in the wrong section

WOW WOW WOW. They sound awsome. And umm they are BIG hehe. It took all afternoon to wire up the Cornwalls, the SVS, and the Hafler amp. After everything was wired and tested I moved all the sofas and stuff out of the way and played around with the placement. I have settled on this placement for them. They are about 14'apart, slightly toed in (back corners 5" and 17" away from the wall). One is kinnda in a corner. The other is very close to a hallway. Not optimal but they sound great. The SVS (yeah I got that today too heheh woohoo) is inbetween them. I may try corner loading the sub after I get some more speaker wire. I tried pulling the Cornwalls out from the wall more (up to 3' away) but I didn't notice a big difference so I opted for more living space:-). I need to borrow a digital camera and post a pic or two. Time to listen.

I rushed and put in my favorite Grateful Dead CD and the soundstage is awsome. The entire system is tight. I love the way you can hear EVERYTHING (btw I now know what the saying "this CD may reveal the diffencies of the orginal recording" means). I followed that with Police Ghost in the Machine, a great Delos recording of Beethoven's 6th (I could hear them plucking the strings), Led Zepplin 4, and the soundtrack from Blues Brothers 2000. I love the 5 disc changer :-) Every single one presented a nice wide soundstage and the detail was amazing. On to the DVD's.

I rebalanced the system and the front settings where within 2dB of the settings for the RF3's. The Eagle's Hell Freezes Over disc awsome. I was there really I was. Saving Private Ryan. I was ducking as the bullets were flying around and the tanks and everything were awsome. I even watched SW EPI pod race sequence..very nice.

I didn't notice a big problem with the RC3 and RS3's. I think everything is pretty well balanced. I may fool around with it if I can "borrow" some of the R*7 stuff.

Now here is the thing. After getting the RF3's I knew that I would have to re-listen to all my music again. Well now I have to re-re-listen :-) I love the sound of the RF3's and they certainly are a awsome speaker (I plan on keeping them....somewhere). I think that the RF3's and Cornwall are very close for 5.1 movie watching (the Cornwalls still have an edge of course) but for pure 2 channel listening the Cornwalls blow the RF3's out of the water.

I gotta scoot I have folks coming over tonight to hear everything

Laters,

------------------

Main System -

CORNWALLS (circa '79 yippe)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running bridged 800W/4 ohms for sub)

ProMedia 4.1 for PC

Bedroom -

KG4's or RF-3's (haven't decided yet)

Harman Kardon AVR 20 MKII

This message has been edited by eq_shadimar on 08-09-2001 at 03:51 PM

eq, sorry don't shoot the messenger cwm38.gif,

but jmo for 5.1/5 channel stuff your next biggest marginal improvement would be a heresy or a c7 for the center. like keith was saying to another, looks like u can pick up a c7 for bout $300.

i moved my ref speaks to the lounge as a 2nd system. the c7 is a whole nother ballgame than the rc-3. no comparison as a match to the klf-30/cornwall combo. cwm35.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z1 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

rock on!

Hey eq - I'm with ya man on having to re-listen to all my music. Trouble is...where do you start? I mean, are you like me? I plop in a Tom Scott CD and it no sooner starts playing when I spy an Eagles CD and think "Hey, lemme play dat", but then I see an Aerosmith CD or maybe that Hiroshima CD or the Steely Dan and the Acoustic Alchemy...oh the madness. Can't decide, can't decide. Smile.gif

I'd have to agree with boa that the RC-3 isn't quite up to par with our Cornwalls. I too have an RC-3 and while it's pretty decent, I'm not too keen how it matches up vocally to the Cornwalls. Last night I got out one of my poor lonely Heresy's and hooked it up in place of the RC-3 and ohhhhh yeah...that's the ticket. The wife thinks I'm quite mad cause I'm talking and planning about the HT room in our next house and we just moved into this new house back in December!! Doh! Smile.gif

Enjoy you Cornwalls - I know I am!!

Tom Adams

Oh great I go through life perfectly happy with my little Radio Shack Minus 7's and then hear some brand new KG4's at the local HiFi store. So I save all my milk money and finally get them. Life is good for a long time. Then this DVD thingy comes around requiring surround sound and I put those Radio Shack 7's back into service (btw NEVER throw out any audio stuff casue ya never know...). Well I go and hear the RF3 series at the local HiFi store and I think dang I need another paper route and does the dog really need to eat? Well I finally get those and smiles all around..ah I think to myself this is living. I am a hifi god. This is what all those people mean by soundstage, tone, and openness. You would think I am done right? Nopers. I am helping out a friend with PC stuff and I am bragging 'bout my awsome system and he says "Klipsch?? I think Grandma has a some of those in the basement". Well gosh darnit those turned out to be the Cornwalls I have now. Once again I am HiFi god and life is good. Now darn it ya all are telling me to go get Heresy's and stuff. This needs to stop I am going crazy. You guys are just evil minions of Paul Klipsch forcing great sound on everyone. I say stop...stop it now...arrrggghhh cwm44.gif (umm btw this is all tounge in cheek lest anyone think I am going crazy or worse actually serious).

Well if you have made it this far you will interested in knowing that last night I went up into my sweltering 120 deg. attic to see if my celing has the proper bracing and support to hang Heresy's from it for the surrounds and center. It does!!!!

Sighhhh give me another shot...I am hooked cwm41.gif

Laters,

BTW I posted pics over in the odds and mods forum.

------------------

Main System -

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

Bedroom -

This message has been edited by eq_shadimar on 08-10-2001 at 01:58 PM

eq,

I couldn't have said it better myself! Smile.gif You wouldn't happen to know somebody elses grandma that has a pair of CF-4's lying around, do you? BTW, I've noticed you seem to be spending a lot of time on this board... Wink.gif

Mike

------------------

Family Room

-----------

Mitsubishi 31" TV (soon to be replaced)

Denon 4800 AVR

Panasonic DVD-A7

Dual CS-721 Turntable

DBX 3bx Series III Range Expander

Klipsch Epic CF-2's (mains)

Klipsch KLF-C7 (center)

Klipsch RS-3's (surrounds)

SVS 20-39CS Sub w/Samson S700 Amp

Monster HTS-3500 Line Conditioner

Bedroom

-------

Yamaha M-4 Amp

Yamaha C-4 Preamp

Yamaha T-7 Tuner

Teac DVD Player

Looking for a pair of Heresy's

Hehe no life would explain the time on the boards (humm and I have i-net access from work and I supposed to check i-net functionaly regulary as part of my job hehe).

BTW I found out another joy of the Cornwalls this weekend and that would be listening at low levels. Yea I said it. Not ear shattering levels but low levels. I was cleaning the house late last night and being a good neighbor I had the stereo turned waaaayyy down. The volume was set to -40db and the speakers still had all the detail and clarity that they exhibt at much much louder levels.

Sigh so much music so little time.

------------------

Main System -

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

Bedroom -

Lone Palm,

Not that you asked me, but chirpping in anyway...

While I think Ripple, Box of Rain and Candyman, taken together, are sort of the definitive answer to the question "what are the Dead?", I also think that the Without a Net set, particularly Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo, captures the essence of what made them such a great band - at least for me! Biggrin.gif

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Oh God don't make me pick but here is a stab -

Live Recordings:

Dick's Picks Vol 10

Live at the Kick (HDCD)

Without a Net

Studio:

From the Mars Hotel

American Beauty

Terapin Station

The first CD through the Cornwalls was Dick's Picks Vol 10 Disc 2 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004TYB8/qid=997799815/sr=1-8/ref=sc_m_8/103-1480795-8011835

The reviews there probably say it better than I could.

Laters,cwm9.gif

------------------

Main System -

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

Bedroom -