which Cornwall's do I have I or II ??

staged2

Serial numbers 8522275 / 8522276 they have the removable back on the speakers.

I was told that this could be a cornwall II even with the metal MId/Tweater metal and not front mounted.

Help?? which ones do I have-just bought off ebay and was told they were definalty Cornwall I's??

Here is what was said: The I to II change apparently happened with the repositioning of the mid and tweeter (prior to 1977). some sellers of Cornwalls on ebay think the change occured in 1985 when the mid/tweeter horns went to composite (plastic) and all components were front mounted.

If the drivers are mounted from the back of the motorboard, they are Cornwalls. Cornwall II's all have the horns mounted from the front, through the motorboard.

Some of the Cornwalls do have "Cornwall II" on the label, but they are still the older Cornwalls. Whatever this designation meant it preceded the changes that were made in the Heritage line which yielded the Heresy II's and Cornwall II's. Sounds right that this last change was made around 1985.

----------------

On 12/21/2004 5:17:55 PM staged2 wrote:

Serial numbers 8522275 / 8522276 they have the removable back on the speakers.

I was told that this could be a cornwall II even with the metal MId/Tweater metal and not front mounted.

Help?? which ones do I have-just bought off ebay and was told they were definalty Cornwall I's??

Here is what was said: The I to II change apparently happened with the repositioning of the mid and tweeter (prior to 1977). some sellers of Cornwalls on ebay think the change occured in 1985 when the mid/tweeter horns went to composite (plastic) and all components were front mounted.

----------------

All dates are approximate!! And do NOT account for Special Orders. The concept of "Model Year" product changes was unknown at Klipsch.

19?? - 1961 Cornwall (serial numbers did not include letters)

1962 - 1974 Cornwall II (Tweeter & Midrange mounted Vertical)

1975 - 1985 Cornwall (Tweeter & Midrange mounted Horizontal)

1985 - 1990 Cornwall II (All drivers mounted from the front)

1985 was a transition year. So, if your Cornwall's drivers mount from the interior it is a Cornwall (not a Cornwall II).

I hope this helps.

Mike

My guess is that the 1961-62 switch in name (to the first instance of CW II) was because of an alteration in the woofer box.

It might be that pre-'61 was with the rear slot loaded box as we see in an article by PWK and some photos of very old units. Then, maybe, PWK went to the big port in the front which was used for the rest of the series.

Best,

Gil

----------------

On 12/21/2004 9:07:56 PM William F. Gil McDermott wrote:

My guess is that the 1961-62 switch in name (to the first instance of CW II) was because of an alteration in the woofer box.

It might be that pre-'61 was with the rear slot loaded box as we see in an article by PWK and some photos of very old units. Then, maybe, PWK went to the big port in the front which was used for the rest of the series.

Best,

Gil

----------------

Gil,

I agree, this is my thought/guess also.

Mike