Third Score !! Local Cornwalls - I'm on a roll!

cyclonecj

These are the ones posted on Ebay for $450 BIN, 35 minute drive from me. I went over to get them today, very nice condition, working great.

Forgive the poor pics, can't find the Canon, had to break out the old HP.

Pair....

IM001896S.JPG

Best one, small nick top right edge & water stain

IM001897S.JPG

Worst one, grill warped slightly & scratches, all minor

IM001898S.JPG

Close up of the scratches, badge missing.

IM001899s.JPG

Internal

IM001901S.JPG

B-3 crossover

IM001902S.JPG

There were no tags on the back, just the staples on them. Can someone help me date them just by the pics? What year was the B-3 crossovers used?

My 1985 Cornwall I's have the B-3 crossovers. I'm sure someone here can guess the date range from that, but judging from the drivers... I'd say between 1982 - 1985.

Forrest

----------------

On 12/24/2004 7:41:05 PM cyclonecj wrote:

There were no tags on the back, just the staples on them. Can someone help me date them just by the pics? What year was the B-3 crossovers used?

----------------

After playing with them all day, it's no contest. I will be keeping the Belle's.

There are 2 things I noticed that are real obvious:

The bass is much lower.... I can really feel the floor shake during low passes. But when I go back to the Belle's, the bass is so much faster, tighter, & just plain cleaner.

Second, the upper mids are much brighter on the belle's. After listening to them, then switching to the Corns, I am looking for the blanket blocking the mid horn & tweeter. It's very clean & clear, but very dull. Maybe the shorter horn length?

The last thing I noticed took some time. While I was cleaning the house & gettting ready for tomorrow, I left the Corns running. After a few hours, I wanted to turn it off & just have it quiet for a while.

Wait... Did I just say that?

OK.... Switch back to the Belle's.....Now, after every song played, I felt like I wanted to go in & turn it up a bit more.....

Can't explain it, but I actually got tired of the Corns after a few hours. I have had the Belle's for almost 20 years, & that has only happened once, & the problem turned out to be my Denon 1700 CD player was going bad. I then bought the Adcom CD, & it has never happened since.

EDIT: I took out the disclaimer....Read my post below!!

Those Cornwalls probably have the K-57K midranges in them which may make them a little shrill compared to the Belle's and may explain your ears tiring. An older pair of vertical Cornwalls with the Alnico drivers may sound better to you.

No getting around the horn loaded vs. bass reflex bass response though. When used in conjunction with the horn loaded bass they blend nicely. My Belle's sounded great but I did not miss them when I upgraded to the Khorn's.

For sure... They were actually bought for my school for the music dept, but after seeing the price, I strongly considered keeping them for myself, & selling my second pair of Heresy's instead.

This weekend, I will be placing them around the house in different configurations to see what happens, including as rear surrounds in my theater. If it makes enough of a difference, I may keep them there. However, I had already put the La Scala's there, & did not like them. My sofa is a high back, & that put the rear horns too low, & they could not be heard as well as my Heresy's on the stands. However the Corns are taller, & it would not be hard to raise them a bit if needed.

OK... I take it all back...... Cornwall's rock!

After I made my last post about the Belle Cornwall A/B test, I could not get off my mind how much of a difference there was between the two. I figured there had to be something wrong.

So today I went back to do a proper A/B test....

I pulled the Belle's out of the corner, & set the Corns in, this time using the same amp-wires etc. as I use for the Belle's

WOW!!! ... what a difference!

So now I want to change my answer......

Although I am now unable to switch between the two, I can not really tell a difference from what I have been listening to for the past 10 years in the mid to high range. No blanket covering the horns etc. like I said before.

The only difference I still hear is in the low bass. As I said before, they do go lower, but still not as tight & clean as the Belle's, but still much better than before when they were away from the wall & on the other amp.

I have also had these playing (kinda loud) all morning, & have had no problem listening.

Now to move them into the family room for another test.......