Any Clive Cusler fans out there

customsteve01

March 25, 2005 The movie Sahara will be released. This is based on the book by Clive Cusler. It will star Matthew McConaughey, Penelope Cruz and Steve Zahn. You can view the trailer at

http://www.saharamovie.com/ I can't view it on my HT system but any that have there computer linked into thiers let me know how it sounds. From the looks of it this will be a really good series of films. M.M. has signed on to do several as Dirk Pitt.

I would have rather seen Hugh Jackman play the part but I think M.M. can pull it off.

I have all his books....great author IMO...

A long time ago...in late Seventies...they made Raising the Titanic into a movie...and it was ok...but I think limited based on movie technology back then...

I always wished they made more of his books into movies...as they would be great for special effects and sound and story...

I look forward to this movie...and will be on look out for it....

thanks for heads up!

• 3 months later...

We saw this on Saturday and I will say it was a very good movie.

BUT..........................................

It was really lousy at following the story line from the book.

The key point in the book about the red tide is just a side note in the movie. The Lincoln part was left out completely along with the diamond mine.

I wonder what book they have plans to do next. I have heard its at least a three book deal.

I can see why Mr. Cussler was so upset and sued Paramount Pictures.

But all in all it was a good flick, worth seeing. The wife has not read the book and she loved it.

Steve

I love Cussler, but must admit to having grown tired of the more recent "I'm getting old/facing mortality" rumblings of Dirk; and I am not a fan of the pump em out Austin/Dirago collaborations.

And Matthew McConaheigh (spelling) did not match my mind's eye impression of Dirk, but hey...

But his books haven't faired well in there few adaptations to movies.

And the movie is getting trashed in the reviews, with the few exceptions overlooking any substance (which even they admitted was silly) and simply liking the escapist action.

So I have been waiting upon your first person reviews!

Perhaps we need to get the Lord of the Rings guys to do Cussler's stuff9.gif

The worst part about not going along with the book is that they depict NUMA as treasure hunting, and depict dirk as being obsessed with finding the Texas (cival war ship). And there trip up the Niger is looking for the ship and they stumble across the red tide because it messes up the sonar equipment.

It was a good action adventure flick in the Indiana Jones kinda way.

It was also a clasic good guy wins bad guy loses flick...haha

The only thing I didn;t like was the fact that it was so far from the book.

Steve

His books are great romps! Don't let any discussion of the movie scare you away from those!

In fact it is the quality of the adventures in print that has so many curious about the movie and whether they have done a good job.

That said, Dirk's sailing the bathtub from Cuba a few books ago Was a bit wacked!9.gif Regular Cussler readers will know to which I refer...