Car Audio

fzzytddybr1

----------------

On 12/28/2004 1:12:46 PM seti wrote:

There is an ipod add on that broadcast a signal to an fm station then you just tune into the station to receive your ipod stream pretty cool.

----------------

And it sounds very nice too.

There is also the tape cassette adapter that most people use to plug their discmans into the tape player. This could be connected to the lineout from your ipod. I personally prefer this approach because it's cheaper and you don't have to worry about finding silent frequency bands for the ipod to broadcast on. However, I think the radio approach sounds a bit better and there's less cables to deal with (and you won't have to buy a headunit with a tape player).

I would recommend finding a sony unit that has the features that you want. There's hundreds to choose from so it shouldn't be too hard.

Pioneer headunits have an input they call ip-bus, usually used for hooking up a cd changer. They sell an auxillary input adaptor that lets you hook up RCAs via the ip-bus. With an rca to mini adaptor, this would be a way to hook up your ipod.

As far as names, well it depends what you want to spend. Dynaudio has a 3-way set of front speakers with 8" woofers, rated to 200 watts. Probably sounds great, but more than I'd spend on speakers (in my car anyway...). Also, will you be having a shop install this for you? It can get pretty expensive.

are you refering to an FM modulator?

--------------------------------------------

No, pioneer's ip-bus uses a proprietary cable, usually used to hook up a pioneer cd changer. Also happens to let you control the cd changer directly from the headunit.

The adaptor I mentioned just lets you connect a device via RCA connectors into the ip-bus plug on the back of the headunit.

Dr. Who and Seti are referring to the FM modulator. I also think sound quality suffers with this transmission method. Use a direct hard-line hookup if at all possible.

The way Shade mentioned would be preferable. I run my iPod into the back of my Alpine head unit using a similar proprietary plug, cd changer -> 2 RCA ($20). It works excellent. The head unit has Ai net which allows the cd changer jack to be utilized as an auxilliary input. You can get my head unit at Circuit City for $200 installed. Perhaps I'll take a picture of it tonight after work if it's not too dark.

Alpine has a unit out that controls the ipod through the head unit. It also powers the ipod. Other than that any head unit with an aux input will work. I have a Blaupunkt and my wife has an Alpine and the ipod sounds good through both on the aux in. check out www.ipodlounge.com.