Clean Power

Boji7.1

i doubt it will help. monster cable is known for WAY over pricing things. id bet that power unit is just an expensive surge protector. not sure though. id recommend belkin, tripplite,etc.

ome much more experienced members will post soon. they'll have better advice

scp53

They are pretty good surge protectors, though, I think. Supposedly they can withstand quite a shock.

The salesman at my local (only) hi-fi store was really trying to push those things saying they help tons... I don't see it. Maybe someday when I get bored and have a little money sitting around unused, I'll buy one to give it a go. If you have the spare money, try it and report your findings.

No matter your level of experience,

I think we can all agree that Monster Cable needs to be boycotted. They're out of control, suing Disney, the TV show 'Monster Garage', monster.com, clothing store 'MonsterVintange', the Chicago Bears (their nickname is the 'Monsters of the Midway'), The Boston Red Sox, etc.

Well I don't think that the lawsuits have been filed yet but they're being threatened.

I'd recommend NOT buying a Monster Cable product.

Well I might be alone in this, but I think they're great. I just bought a HTPS 7000 Sig today and already see a huge improvement from the HTS 3600 that it is replacing. An impulse buy yes, but one I do not regret. So far it also seems to have gotten rid of the hiss from my speakers.

Guest Anonymous

it's designed by richard marsh, but that guy is a sell out in my opinion, furthermore i bought that same one and it didn't do anything at all, i have a horriffic hum in my amps and if anything it made it worse, do not buy that thing

Here's the other thing. i've lived in suburbia since my beginnings. There simply are not very many other people around with the kind of equipment (big compressor, welders, etc.) that will turn on their equipment and have the ability to create a power surge. If I lived in say midtown manhattan, and somebody were building a skyscraper down the street, or somebody were digging a giant utility down the street or more importantly obtaining power from the same substation. OK, maybe I need a power conditioner, but I live in suburbia. Nobody will create a power surge because their air conditioner kicks on. Pretty well understood that the biggest power draw in anyone's home is their air conditioner. Now, my logic becomes nonsense when I recognize that the uncontrollable source of stray power is a lightning strike, but power and cable where I live is buried. I've never heard of a lightning strike of buried wires. Anybody want to call this b******t? I'd actually like to hear why.

Guest Anonymous

the line conditioners do contain a surge portector, but you are paying for its abilities to have a constant 120v ac delivered to your system at all times, and filter out noise and create a perfect sine wave, when you turn your microwave on or your ac it causes the voltage to drop to like a 115v ac and your conditioner will keep it at a 120v. thats realyl what you are paying for, not so much the surge protector

----------------

On 12/30/2004 1:05:20 AM Gramas701 wrote:

the line conditioners do contain a surge portector, but you are paying for its abilities to have a constant 120v ac delivered to your system at all times, and filter out noise and create a perfect sine wave, when you turn your microwave on or your ac it causes the voltage to drop to like a 115v ac and your conditioner will keep it at a 120v. thats realyl what you are paying for, not so much the surge protector

----------------

Understand that Monster and most other "power conditioners" do not maintain constant voltage, they just filter out noise from the AC line.

----------------

On 12/28/2004 10:34:08 PM Boji7.1 wrote:

I was wondering if you have experienced good reults from using the monster clean power units. The one I was looking at was around $80 from Circuit City. It says it will give better picture and sound. Is this true?

----------------

Monster power is overpriced for what you get. Tripplite has been in the business longer and gives you a better product in the price range of product you are considering.

Here is a great pdf file comparing monster and tripplite:

http://www.tripplite.com/shared/pdf/literature/200408107.pdf

Just so we are clear here in our definitions:

Surge Protector: pretty self explanatory - just protects the plugged in equipment from power line surges. Your cheap models use MOV's (metal oxide varistors) which DO wear out over time and cost less than 25 cents each. Much better models use series mode mode protection. (Brickwall, Surge-X, Furman, Adcom, Zerosurge) There are also a few other technologies out there - silicon avalanche diodes is one technology that is available. Very few of the silicon avalanche models are available for home use. Many surge protectors do offer RF and EMI filtering as part of the package.

Line Conditioner: There units regulate the voltage - keeping it at 117 volts (or 120 volts) constantly. The Tripplite LCR-2400 mentioned in this thread is a line conditioner. It takes any voltage from 87 volts to 141 volts and converts it to a stable 117 volts. These units usually include MOV surge protection. Some newer models available from Furman Sound provide voltage regulation AND use series mode surge protection.

Power Conditioner: Now we get into the area of many "audiophile" discussions. People trying to "CLEAN UP" their power by removing noise and artifacts from the power coming into their equipment. Monster Power is a big promoter of the "dirty power" concept. Some manfacturers offer units into the many thousands of dollars. Also included in this category are "balanced power" and "ac regenerators". Some units also offer the power regulation of the line conditioners above. Surge protection again is included in nearly all of these units - MOV based.

When considering buying anything above a surge protector, ALWAYS purchase from a location that has a good return policy. If you don't hear or see any improvements - take it back.

Additionally - many of the units in all categories DO offer many nice convenience features like remote power on/off, sequential powering of outlets, 12 volt triggers for connected equipment, etc.