There's a new receiver on the block...

tpg

I have one of the *25 series, and I dont have any hissing problems. I can turn it up all the way, and have to stick my ear up to the speaker to hear the hissing. My setup wasn't difficult either, though. It's possible that they changed the program in the *35 series. As far as I know its only a make over. The same amp and all that. At least that's what I heard.

I hear your pain, tpg. Been there and done that 18 months ago. I had home theatre stuff hanging out of the cupboards. Nothing was ever right. Every time I tweaked one thing, another thing was off. At one stage after extensive upgrades I had the top line Onkyo TX-DS989 Receiver and the Toshiba SD-900 DVD/DVD-A player, M&K 150 THX sub, Klipsch Legend series surrounds fronted by the KLF-10's, and much more. Each time I had a problem I upgraded a component and started the hair pulling all over again. All I can say is hang in there and eventually everything will work out. If you're not happy with the receiver, fire it, sack it, and get something you are happy with. If you don't, the disatisfaction will eat away at you and you'll end up doing what I did, selling the whole lot.