made cable is going to have to be replaced when the component is replaced with

one requiring a different connector.

Here are the better quality adapters that are available that we handle:

Cardas RCA/XLR Adapters - $54.00/pair

BAT ( Balanced Audio Technology) RCA/XLR Adapters - $90.00/pair

Purist Audio Design RCA/XLR Adapters (cryo treated) - $160.00/pair

Many cable manufacturers that we deal with will make custom-configured

interconnects as well, some at no additional cost to the consumer. Check with

the Cable Company for specifics on any particular brand/model.

I hope this helps you with your article. If you wouldn't mind, could I have a

look at the article? I am interested in getting some information on the

Behringer for some of my customers.

Regards,

John Pharo

1-800-328-9973

--

The Cable Company

Visit our website at http://www.fatwyre.com.

Contact information:

Telephone: 215-862-4870, or toll-free 800-FATWYRE (328-9973)

FAX: 215-862-4871. Email: fatwyre@fatwyre.com.

Shipping address: The Cable Company, 125 Union Square, New Hope 18938 USA

Hours of operation: Mon.-Fri. 10am - 6pm Eastern time. Sat. 11am -5pm

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 1/19/2005 3:58:19 PM Colin wrote:

OK, I am starting to play around with this fancy DEQ2496 thing, but understanding all of its powerful features. Like the cockpit of tha small palen, all the buttons and knobs are overwhelming first. Dont know how to make this thing get up and fly. So many features!

What does the xxdB, -xxdB on the meter really mean? When it clips at low volumes, what does that mean to me the listener?

----------

Hi Colin;

Do you have the Manual for the Behringer if not I would suggest you download it from the Behringer web site.

There is a switch on the back of the Behringer that will change the sensitivity of the Behringer so check it if you are getting clipping warnings.

-----------------------------------

Does the Bypass shut off all functions?

The Behringer can bypass individual module sections as well as the complete unit by selecting the bypass menu and the three data wheels.

------------------------------------------

Why cant EQ fill in the nulls it adds more power to those frequencies, right?

If these nulls( I assume you are talking about sharp nulls)are mostly caused by room modes then it really doesn't matter how much power you throw at it it will still cancel itself out because of the physical properties and dimensions of your room. A peak however can be reduced by feeding the room with less energy to a limited degree but of course as you probably know room modes are best treated with bass traps at the corners of the room if posssible.

-----------------------------

I understand how EQ can work a driver harder, but how does it work some drivers too hard?

Because if a driver cannot physically move or handle the additional power you might be asking it to do because for example like in the above question about room nulls then damage can happen. You should keep in mind the design limits of your speakers before asking them to reproduce say lows or highs that it physically can't handle. EQ's are best used with moderate adjustments most the time for best results I believe.

------------------------------

Flat frequency response doesnt seem too bright, it seems like too much bass in my current listening room...

Part of this will depend on the size of your room and how much absorption and its location in your room.

Flat on the RTA greatly depends on where and how you are measuring with the Mic. In my room if I place the Mic at the listening position and adjust for a flat frequency response the highs can sound a little to high on some recordings and good on others(usually well recorded CD's) but my room is probably overdamped in the highs frequency range and as everyone knows recordings vary alot in the highs and low frequency balance.

I would suggest you create several curves slightly rolling off the highs and put them into memory and see if this helps you to home in on the best settings for your room and will help you to compensate for some recordings that need it.

---------------------

How do I generate the signal for the RTA? Isnt there a pink noise generator built-in?

Yes you can access the Pink Noise Generator from the I/O Menue button and also from the AutoEQ function.

----------------------------------

Is the RTA sensitive enough to detect the presence of a line conditioner (if the conditioner effects the frequency response)?

I wouldn't think but let us know what you notice in your system.

--------------------

The DEQ2496 has optical inputs, my CD player has coax out are there coax to digital interconnects? Does it make sense to run my player directly into the DEQ2496 and skip my CAL Gamma DAC?

I have no experience with this to answere this one Colin.

--------------------

Do you use the FBD to zap specific frequencies (like the low 20Hz rumble of the A/C)?

Not sure but since this is reproduced by something other than the system I wouldn't expect it to but again let us know what happens if you try it.

------------------

Can I expand and widen and EQ and FBD the sound all at the same time?

I believe the width module is only avaible in the stereo link mode but most all modules can be run at the same time and you can also bypass individual modules or the whole unit in the bypass menue.

-------------

How the hell do you sort through all the possible options and quickly get to the most valuable (tweaking audiophile) settings?

Keep playing with all the functions and referring back to the Manual as you get use to the unit. It really helps to get hands on experience and rereading the Manual.

I also located the unit next to my listening seat and this really helps when playing and fine tuning the system.

---------------

Thanks, so far I am loving this thing and I havent figured out how to pull the stops out and get it off the ground!

Colin I still really love this unit in my system and couldn't imagine not having it in my situation. Its hard to have enough time to play with it since I'm back at work and family things but I'm sure I'll be learning alot for a long time with this EQ.

Hopefully Arkytype will respond to your questions since he has had the unit for alot longer time than I have.

Mike

----------------

It has taken me a lot of time to master even the basics of the Behringer DSP 8024 (and I am having great support here - thanks Jim and Mike!) but for those who'd like to read about my sonic impressions, I just started a thread in the 2 channel section about 'the best money I have ever spent....'.

Wolfram

For Wolfram, Colin and anyone interested.

This is how I used the PEQ and GEQ of the Behringer today and I'm well pleased with the results.

Any tips from others would be and are appreciated!

Here were my readings without the GEQ or PEQ active so I could pick what Frequencies to adjust with the PEQ portion of the Behringer. I choose 20 Hz to 400Hz as the area to look at for adjustments I wanted to do with the Parametric EQ.

Hz Level db

22.5 -72

25 -70.5

28 - 66

31.5 -64.7

35.5 -63.4

40 -63.1

45 -65.3

50 -66.8

56 -69

63 -72

71 -77.0

80 -77.0

89 -75.8

100 -63

112 -61.3

125 -68.1

141 -66.3

160 -64.3

180 -64.4

200 -68.1

225 -65.5

250 -66.8

280 -69.3

315 -72.1

355 -72.7

400 -76

Remember for example (-76db) is quieter than (-64.3db) because it is in reference to (0db as the loudest point on the scale).

What I choose to work with today was Two Peaks in the response one was between (125Hz to 250Hz range with peak center point in the 160Hz & 180Hz area).

The second Peak was sharp and centered ( on the 100Hz and 112Hz Bands)

I also was curious about the Sharp Null at 71Hz, 80Hz & 89Hz area. I'll show why you can't adjust for these with an EQ later per Colin's question about nulls in this Behringer Thread.

In the PEQ menu of the Behringer DEQ2496 you can adjust the Gain +/-15db and scroll through the frequency range at 1/60 octave steps so you can really home in on the exact point you need to create a null curve center frequency to counter the frequency peak in the response curve above. You also can adjust the width of the corrective curve by 1/10 octave up to 10 octave steps.

The way I was able to develop the settings I wanted for the Parametric Filters:

I ran the Pink Noise Generator Signal of the unit through both channels and with the Mic at the listening position I used the RTA and alternated between looking at it as I adjusted and tweaked the Center Frequency (by scrolling with the upper data wheel through the frequency range) and Bandwidth and Amplitude of the filter in the PEQ module.

----------------------------------------------------------------

So for the Peak in response between (125Hz to 250Hz):

The center frequency chosen was (170Hz)

The Bandwidth chosen was (1/3 octave )

The Level chosen was (-7db)

-----------------------------------

For the second very sharp Peak (100Hz & 112Hz):

The center frequency chosen was (107Hz)

The Bandwidth chosen was (1/8 octave)

The Amplitude chosen was (-10db)

-------------------------------------

NOW for the Null in Response I mentioned earlier at (71Hz & 80Hz & 89Hz):

I created a Peak filter curve to try and counter this Null

I choose center frequency of (77.8Hz)

The Bandwidth chosen was (1/8 octave)

The Level chosen was (+8db)

The results of the settings chosen was that the two Peaks in the response where very nicely flattened.

The results of trying to bring the Sharp Null in the response was less than an increase of (+.5db) for a filter calling for a (+8db boost). This goes to show if using an EQ and an adjustment to a trough/null in the response shows no improvement its best to leave it alone as far as using the EQ adjustments are concerned.

Now Wolfram and Colin I saved this PEQ Setting for the Peaks in memory.

Then while running the Pink Noise Test Signal using the AUTO EQ Function (Turning off Frequencies (100Hz and below) and (12.5kHz and above) from the AUTO EQ TEST) and leaving the PEQ Module Active thus the (Auto EQ in the GEQ Module) takes the (PEQ Settings) into account and produced a new curve using both the GEQ Module and PEQ Module combined to flatten the response.

I still choose to adjust the frequencies below 56Hz by ear for now.

Hope this helps some.

Mike1.gif

Hi guys. I just purchased a DEQ2496 and am experiencing a constant hiss when it is turned on. When I put it in bypass mode it disappears. Just wondering if it might be a factory defect or if there is something I can do to eliminate the hiss. I tried the analog connection and digital with no change. I did notice that in the digital domain the meter was reading up into the clip range. This thing is more complicated than I thought!

Thanks

Jeff

----------------

On 1/30/2005 7:47:04 AM Buck wrote:

Hi guys. I just purchased a DEQ2496 and am experiencing a constant hiss when it is turned on. When I put it in bypass mode it disappears. Just wondering if it might be a factory defect or if there is something I can do to eliminate the hiss. I tried the analog connection and digital with no change. I did notice that in the digital domain the meter was reading up into the clip range. This thing is more complicated than I thought!

Thanks

Jeff

----------------

I just got my DEQ2496 yesterday.No hiss at all using analog through my tape loop. I suspect a defect in yours. I'm having a hard time finding out just how to use it! The manual is not much help.We need one of the experts out there to write a step by step procedure for us old guys2.gif

Keith

----------------

On 1/30/2005 7:47:04 AM Buck wrote:

Thanks

Jeff

----------------

Hi Jeff

If you haven't noticed yet there is a push switch(see no.20 page7 of your manuel it's next to the RTA/MIC in socket) on the back of the unit that sets sensitivity of the Behringer. If it's in the wrong position for your setup needs it will drive the Behringer into clipping which will cause you audible problems.I believe Behringer could do a better job with their manual of pointing out where and how to do adjustments especially for people new to these kinds of equipment.

The Behringer does come across as complicated to begin with and I think it helps alot to just experiment with one thing(say GEQ and AUTO EQ) at a time till you start getting comfortable with how to use the unit. I have actually found the unit very easy to use after becoming familiar with the units functions and I'm really pleased with how all the functions do work. To me its kind of like getting use to say menu/options of computer program after you go through them a few times things start to make alot of sense.

If you still have problems post back because you definitly need to get the clipping stopped. Tell us exactly how you have the EQ installed in your system. Mine is installed between CD player and Pre-amp with the MAX switch set in the +22dBu position and my system has no audible noise from the Behringer.

mike1.gif

Hey Mike. That was the problem. I have it switched to 12 now and its much better. There is still a very slight hiss, not audible unless you put your ear beside the speaker, so that's fine. I have my unit between my pre/pro and 2ch amp via RCA-XLR cables. How do you recommend hooking it up for best performance. I purchased it mainly to try and smooth out my RF7's, but Deans crossover mod is on the way which should help tame the speakers. Any pointers or tips are always welcome!

Jeff

I just got my DEQ2496 yesterday.No hiss at all using analog through my tape loop. I suspect a defect in yours. I'm having a hard time finding out just how to use it! The manual is not much help.We need one of the experts out there to write a step by step procedure for us old guys

Keith

------------------------------

Hi Keith

I'm no expert but I do have a couple of suggestions for using the Behringer.

I think to start out with check the Utility menu before trying to make measurements/adjustments with the Behringer. I believe for someone just starting out it would be good to have the settings set like (Fig 3.16)page 12 of the manual.

Channel Mode: Stereo Link

GEQ-MODE: True Response

Gain Offset (EQ): 0.0

RTA noisecorrection: OFF

Show Messagesbox: ON

RTA/MIC Input: MIC-Level +15V (For Behringer ECM8000 mic)

RTA/MIC Line-level: 12.0dBu

RTA/MIC MIC-LEVEL: -37.0 dBv/Pa

The Stereo Link mode will adjust both channels the same then as you learn more you can experiment with Dual Mono mode to see if varying the adjustments in the left and right channels can improve things more.

The GEQ-Mode: I really can't think of why someone would want to use it without TRUE RESPONSE On since one of the Advantages of this unit is its ability to act as a more precise EQ.

RTA/MIC MIC-LEVEL: For the Behringer ECM8000 the value is (-37dBV/Pa). See page 16 (3.11) of the manual.

I would suggest to start out with just use the GEQ and the AUTO-EQ to begin learning about the EQ, RTA and MIC postions.

When using the Auto-Eq I would exclude from approx 100Hz down and 12.5KHz up from its adjustments and adjust those (Manually using the PINK NOISE TEST SIGNAL and RTA SCREEN after you get a correction curve from the AUTO-EQ to start to build on). When using the GEQ adjustments keep them in a reasonably small range like say (+/-6db) if the Auto-EQ wants to adjust larger than this (say +/-12db)it would probably be best to ignore them or at least limit it to a smaller amount as far as using the GEQ to correct for it because they are probably caused by room mode null or some measurement anomaly.Its important to remember the limits of your Power Amps and Speakers and ROOM also when trying to boost signals.If a speaker can't physically produce say 25Hz no amount of boosting will help but you could damage the AMP or SPEAKERS.

Anyway just give yourself plenty of time and try to enjoy what all you will learn with the RTA and EQ. It can get real fatiguing doing test/listening in an analytical mode so walk away from it when you start getting tired.

mike 1.gif

Jeff glad that took care of the noise.

I only have one source in my system (CD PLAYER) so I just run the Behringer between it and the Pre-amp which since its before my volume control of the Pre-Amp this will give me the least chance of hearing any noise from the Behringer. If I had multiple sources I would hookup between (PRE-AMP and POWER-AMP) or (Tape Loop of a Pre-amp) to affect all sources. You also have the option of using the Digital inputs if all you want to use it for is Digital Sources such as CD Players but you will have to let your ears decide if this is a better sounding option.

I believe you will notice a very nice smoothing balance to the sound of your system with an increase in the quality of details you will hear in your recordings once some of the imbalances created by your room/setup are tamed by the Behringer. The Room really can create problems that people mistake for equipment problems.

Anyway I'm curious about others experiences also so ask questions and let us know your experiences as you start using the Behringer and we all will learn more.

mike1.gif

----------------

On 1/30/2005 8:04:01 PM 76scalas wrote:

Thanks for the tips! That helped a bunch.Hey,it's got a SPL Meter! Bonus. My first try at auto eq wants to boost most every frequency??
6.gif

----------------

Hey Keith

Make sure if your just using the GEQ for now that all the other modules ie:PEQ, DEQ and others are bypassed or the Auto EQ will be affected by there settings.

Also how was your target curve set? Did you leave it flat? and especially did you bypass the frequencies 100Hz and below so that the Auto EQ want be thrown off.

Also make sure you have the Behringer Mic mounted Vertically(Pointed toward Ceiling)

mike1.gif

I've started a new topic re the Behringer DEQ 2496 on the 2-Channel Audio thread that might be of interest to the tweakers.

The DEQ 2496 menu structure can be confusing. The biggest mistake you can make is to spend a half hour equalizing the left loudspeaker with the GEQ function and then forgetting to switch the EQ to the RIGHT channel. Then you wonder why the EQ knobs don't change anything.

Once you get the "sound" you like, be sure to save your settings.

Lee

I just got one of these EQs. I'm using it's optical in and out between my Denon 2200 and a Panasonic SA-XR50.

So far, I've only played with the parametric EQ function, with one band set to suppress a bass spike around 42 hz, and a couple more to subjectively adjust the treble to my liking, I've attached a picture of the simple curve as seen on the unit's display.

I'm impressed with the engineering. This thing's a real marvel of technology, loaded with functions. I don't detect any degredation in the sound from the digital processing. Compensation for the 40 hz boom in my room makes this unit worth the money by itself in my opinion.

post-13895-13819260064172_thumb.jpg

Hi timbley

I've had mine for a little over a month and even though it takes a little while to get a feel for all the flexability of the unit I've become very impressed with how easy it is to use once you do get familiar with it. Just reading the manual it is a little hard to understand exactly how things work but once you begin using the Behringer and then reread the manual things begin to fall in place.

The main thing I would tell anyone starting to use the Behringer is take your time and just like you did keep adjustments simple to begin with.

Anyway post back as you use it more and tell us what you notice in the changes of the sound of your system/room setup.

mike1.gif

Hi Colin,

edit: I meant Hi Mike, since he replied to my last post. But hey, hi everybody!

I came up with an idea for dialing in the treble. Using an application called ToneGen, I created a drone effect using two lower midrange tones, and then added a third high frequency tone which I could vary. I set the high tone so I could barely hear it. Then I set it to different frequencies listening for frequencies that disappeared into the drone, or for ones that popped out above it, seeming particularly loud.

I tried different drone frequencies to make sure there wasn't a particular masking effect associated with the drone. What I found was that there were indeed certain frequency ranges which dropped below audible, despite the drone frequency, or my position in the room.

So I made a newer, more complex curve (see photo) to try to make everything sound equal by this technique. I started with the graphic EQ, and ended adding the paremetric when I realized the graphic couldn't get me the accuracy I needed by itself.

I was a little concerned about elevating some of the frequencies as much as the technique suggested, but the result is compelling so far. My initial impression is a much more live, realistic sound. On my first curve, I just tried to suppress what I perceived as excess treble. Now it appears that what was really needed was a little boost in the range right below the frequencies I suppressed earlier, with just a few notches taken out in the higher range.

My girlfriend has it cranked way up right now listening to Electric Birds. She just became aware of the Behringer and asked me what it was.

2.gif

post-13895-13819260064612_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 2/8/2005 10:29:27 PM mikebse2a3 wrote:

Hey timbley

Good Post!!

This ToneGen you mention is this a computer generated signals?

Maybe when you get a chance you can tell us more about it.

mike
1.gif

----------------

ToneGen is a software application that lets you generate up to sixteen individual tones simultaneously, with control over the volume and frequency of each.

You can download it here:

http://www.nch.com.au/tonegen/

Unfortunately, it doesn't have infinite frequency variation. You have to select tones in pre-set jumps, which are reasonably close together. It'll do sine, square, triangle, and impulse, as well as sweeps.

I have the Behringer hooked up to the output of my computer's sound card now. With the DVD player's digital out going into the soundcard, I can listen to everything through the card, and hence through the Behringer. 1.gif

Although, for DTS and Dolby surround, I have to bipass the Behringer15.gif