Reference RF-35 or F-3 for hundreds less???

SilverSport

----------------

On 12/30/2004 6:36:03 PM DrWho wrote:

I do not feel there is even $100 worth of improvement in the sound.

---------------

I suppose at your age $100 is a lot of money, so naturally you wouldn't feel there is even $100 worth of improvement. We have all been there at one time or another. However, this thread isn't necessarily about arms length bang for the buck judgements. It also isn't about regurgitating what one has read in other threads, or from textbooks. It IS about our personal experiences and our resulting impressions with each product.

Guys, guys...I APPRECIATE ALL responses, even if I don't agree with some...it doesn't mean I am right or wrong or you're right or wrong but this IS about impressions...I was trying to extrapolate from speaker size, configuration and placement that perhaps I might be getting a fine speaker from Klipsch in the Synergy line...In fact, I believe I will be getting a fine speaker from the Synergy line, perhaps those of you who believe the Reference line is better no matter what (even the smaller RE-15s and RE-25s) have merit...some of you have heard both speakers (F3s and RE-35s)and I REALLY appreciate your input...some others (myself included) while hearing them did not hear them back to back from the same power source in the same store...unfortunately I cannot do that but I may "try out" the 2 side by side if the stores are agreeable...I relish the back and forth here because I believe MANY of you have very good points to make and I learn from that...2 and 2 equal 4 and 2 and 2 equal 22 depending on your perspective.

I think we can agree that we all enjoy music and or movies and we all enjoy Klipsch sound...

Thanks,

Bill

illthreat:

I saw your responses and saw you were looking at the same speakers...only problem is, if I could AFFORD RF-5s, we wouldn't be having this debate...I originally wondered how close the RF-35s and the NEW Synergy F3s were since speaker size, configuration, horn/mid/woofer, cabinet design (different ports) might sound close since the top line Synergys are priced retail below the RF-35s...actual real world sale prices place the F3s SEVERAL HUNDRED DOLLARS lower than the RF-35s...My thinking was of the cake and eat it too variety...thinking I might get real close to the RF-35s while also saving some $$$ so I can buy more stuff...you can't argue with THAT now can you???

Bill

(Uh oh....flame suit on...just remember, partly said tongue in cheek ;-)

----------------

On 12/30/2004 11:17:35 PM silversport wrote:

illthreat:

I saw your responses and saw you were looking at the same speakers...only problem is, if I could AFFORD RF-5s, we wouldn't be having this debate...I originally wondered how close the RF-35s and the NEW Synergy F3s were since speaker size, configuration, horn/mid/woofer, cabinet design (different ports) might sound close since the top line Synergys are priced retail below the RF-35s...actual real world sale prices place the F3s SEVERAL HUNDRED DOLLARS lower than the RF-35s...My thinking was of the cake and eat it too variety...thinking I might get real close to the RF-35s while also saving some $$$ so I can buy more stuff...you can't argue with THAT now can you???

Bill

(Uh oh....flame suit on...just remember, partly said tongue in cheek ;-)

----------------

:)

I hear you loud and clear. . I was originally looking to spend up to $900/pr. for new speakers.

How are you able to get F3?

How much are you able to get RF35?

How much are you able to get RF5?

Don't forget about the SF3 for Vanns.com for $500/pr. :D (sorry , i know you just wanted more to think about! ) :P

I can assist if you like.

illthreat:

thanks...I had found Vanns and thought I hit it big, then heard the NEW F3s were MUCH better (who knows at this point, can't listen to them side by side either...;-)

then the RF-35s...my head is spinning...

I will be making a decision this weekend I believe.

Thanks for all the help...keep it comin' if you got 'em, people!

Bill

I don't know how much you're willing to pay for your mains, but a pair of RF-35s should run you no more than $800 from a good dealer (20% discount). Also figure the same discount for any other Reference model from a local dealer (other than a large chain). That's something you can't get when you buy Synergy at bestbuy.

----------------

On 12/30/2004 11:09:04 PM silversport wrote:

unfortunately I cannot do that but I may "try out" the 2 side by side if the stores are agreeable...

----------------

Obviously, as you've seen, it has turned into quite the interesting debate.

We can go back and forth and argue specs, frequency plots, materials, cabinet build, etc ad-nausum, but, unfortunatly, the only "real" determination is to indeed attempt to arrange a side-by-side audition of the two speakers. I am certain that Best Buy should have no problems of letting you take home a pair (although I'd ask to make sure). If the Reference dealer is a good one, they should also have no problems on letting you take home a pair of RF-35s as well, although they will probably want to hold them on a credit card.

A true side-by-side audition, in your own home, using your equipement is the only real way to solve this delima for you. You just may find for your particular environment, listening habits, and equipment, going with the chaper F-3s is the better bet. On the flip side, you may find that you would prefer the RF-35s and suddenly manage to find that extra $300 or so to get them.

Ultimataly, it is up to you if the difference in price is truly worth it in going with one over the other, regardless of the what the specs and all that says. Even if I, myself, thought it was worth it, it may not necessaraliy be true for you (and since I have some pretty decent money, $300 is not much to me).

I'll tell you one thing, though. I've listened to the F-3s many times (although due to the Best Buy setup, there was no way I could put my own material on it). They are definitly a very nice improvement over the older SF-3s that they replaced. I am impressed with how good they sounded.

To be honost, I don't think you'll go wrong, regardless which way you ended up going.

Not a whole lot of help to answer your specific question, though.

Hi Silversport, Sorry to be getting to this discussion so late, but I have to agree with most of the guys here when I say go for the Refs. I listened to the Synergys, I listened to the Refs, NO comparison. I bought Refs. The Refs just do everything better and will last longer because they are built from better components. The Refs can also do double duty for two channel music fairly well if you are like me and are having to save up for Heritage and tube amps. Also, I don't know where you are located, but I just looked at the Best Buy web site and they show a price of $402.99 ea. for the Synergys. A friend of mine just bought a pair of RF-35s for $5.98 less at a semi-local authorized dealer. Hi-end dealers (if they want to move product) will deal, Best Buy will not. I think there is a deal out there if you look hard enough.

Congrats on the Outlaw decision!!!! I run a 950/7100 combo and I could not be happier. You feed a set of Klipschs/es/'s (help me out here guys 9.gif),whether Synergy, Reference, or Heritage, 100 watts of Outlaw power and you will have one set of happy speakers on your hands and maybe not so happy everybody else. I can hit 117db in my listening position and with two windows and one door open hear it a full block or more away!

LFM-1 or RW-12, Hummmm... I don't know. I have a RW-12 and love it!!!!! But, I want to try a LFM-1 too. I am planning on getting a second sub, so let me know how it goes if you get the LFM-1. I need some positive reviews, well, that and free shipping from the outlaws! Otherwise I may get a second RW-12.

P.M. or E-mail me if you have any questions or just want to chat about Klipsch and Outlaw gear.

Noloft

You've already got good separarates in the Outlaws. What's $300 really in the overall scheme of things? It's certainly a lot less than it will cost you to later sell off the Synergys and go to the Reference in the future. In this hobby there are a lot of "I shoulda" people out there looking to upgrade. One thing is for certain, if you buy References you will never wonder if you "shouda" gone for the Synergys.

Try to get a better deal than 20% off. I would approach whatever Reference dealer you would like to buy from and say... Look, I want the RF35s but I only have $700 to spend...what can you do for me. Since it is after Christmas and things stay a bit quiet in the electronics business till March, perhaps they may cut a deal. Make it seem as if this is the first step and you have a center and surround purchases to follow (which is probably true). Just be ready to buy then and there. Perhaps you can get the difference down as low as about $200. Reference dealers have about 40-45% overall margin in the product. This varies a bit at each level and by each individual product but it is a good enough rule of thumb to follow.

Also, if cost IS all that important, have you tried calling Soundistributors.com? They are not "officially" authorized dealers but are an loosely affiliated internet(eBay) branch of one. (Klipsch doesn't allow Reference to be officially sold over the internet, but turns the other cheek for some larger distributors). They offer their own warrantee instead of Klipsch. I've bought 4 pair of speakers from them and found them to be very reputable and easy to deal with.

JR

Thank you for your input...I found soundistributors yesterday as well as "namebrandz" if nothing more, perhaps I can use their prices to leverage the Reference dealer if I go that route...this would perhaps be easier if I hadn't done the whole thing at once...just ordered the Outlaw gear AND now looking to buy the speakers...more to think about and I appreciate the debate.

Bill