Mere mention of Synergy turn you off???

SilverSport

Q-man, can you help the newbie (me!) understand why it is better to have an F-3 for a center than the C-3 that was designed fo that job??? I am closing to pulling the trigger on speakers and am very interested in this and your thoughts,

Thanks,

Bill

Bill,

Some us us old timers here have changed out our center speakers 3 or 4 times trying to find a good match for our mains. Granted this started with the Heritage series, but spread to other speaker types. The center speaker is a very important speaker for home theater. You don't want to hear a difference in the sound as it is passed from one speaker to another. There is alot of this going on between the left, center and right speaker. Using the same speakers gives you a mush better timbre match. The sound quality or similarity is better when using the same speakers. Some of us carried this a step further by using the same speakers all around. This works well for music and SACD's and DVD-Audio.

One F-3 cost less then a C-3 center speaker. The C-3 has smaller woofers and a different network. It doesn't sound the same. They make these center speakers for the average Joe. They keep them small so they will fit above or on everyones TV. Just rearrange the drivers in the F-3 by putting the horn in the middle of the woofers.

P.S. Your 950 makes good use of the center speaker. Better then most receivers. You can also adjust the crossover setting per speaker with it. If you go with an F-3 try the 40 and 60 Hz crossover points.

Q-man:

Thanks so much for the response...my older brother (do we still call him that now that we are in our 40s???) has Heresys and always wishes he had gotten the Heresy for the center channel but I thought this was something only for the Heritage speakers (not the newer shielded speakers) so this is good to hear...I did this HT in one big bite (chomp!) and have yet to get the Outlaw Audio stuff...when it arrives I will take your advice! As I have not gotten the speakers either, I may try 3 F-3s as well! Did you have any problems with them selling you only 1??? I know they price them each but wondered if they would only sell in pairs.

Thanks to all for the responses..."it's alive....ALIVE, I tell you!"

Bill9.gif2.gif

----------------

On 1/2/2005 11:53:27 AM silversport wrote:

Q-man:

Thanks so much for the response...my older brother (do we still call him that now that we are in our 40s???) has Heresys and always wishes he had gotten the Heresy for the center channel but I thought this was something only for the Heritage speakers (not the newer shielded speakers) so this is good to hear...I did this HT in one big bite (chomp!) and have yet to get the Outlaw Audio stuff...when it arrives I will take your advice! As I have not gotten the speakers either, I may try 3 F-3s as well! Did you have any problems with them selling you only 1??? I know they price them each but wondered if they would only sell in pairs.

Thanks to all for the responses..."it's alive....ALIVE, I tell you!"

Bill
9.gif2.gif

----------------

As you will be buying only one for a HT set-up, so will others.

Some will look to the used market. Thus, possible sale of 1.

A number of us have been around long enough to remember when Klipsch only had one line - now called the Vintage. Newer lines, tall, floor model or not being fully horn loaded or being smaller, seem different. They also sound different. The perceived sound stage of a large Vintage versus a smaller Synergy seems different.

I believe that those of us with Vintage speak up to make sure that Klipsch knows that there are Consumers that continue to want the Vintage Line. To make sure that the Vintage Line is not discontinued as they did with the Cornwall and Cornwall IIs.

We also have gone through many changes in equipment and try to help somone avoid what we have been through. And what we continue to go through.

Good Luck with your new Synergy Line. Compared to a number of other speakers available, you're making a wise choice - keeping Budget in mind while wanting new.

Eventually, you may decide to go Vintage, you will be welcomed also.

If you don't, be happy.

dodger

Dodger:

I hear you...growing up in the 60's I heard my father talk about the KlipscHorns like they were the "Holy Grail" of speakers...money however had dictated that I spend less...we could argue the "value" of buying a product only once and at 43, I might NOW agree that had I done this, I would still be listening to them but...time marches on and priorities change.

When I bought my 1st "nice" system I stepped up as high as I could go (however buying nearly "all at once" is a stupid way to buy, it unfortunately is how I've done it) and bought a Yamaha CA-610II, Yamaha tuner and CD player and a techniques turntable and added Bose 301s that I loved (I know...ugh, but I liked them)

Then, while helping my older brother get his 1st "nice system" I too got the bug and "upgraded to a Nakamichi TA-2A (Tuner Amp) and Naks cassette deck with a B&O tuntable with Klipsch KG2s...brother bought similar but higher on the pecking order stuff and went for Heresys...

Now I find myself trying to keep up with his Heresys, Acurus blah blah blah...let's face it, I just wanted HT and some new stuff.

I moved quickly from receiver to separates to..."if you just spend a little more you can get this" syndrome...

Now I find myself once again buying everything at once, and purchasing Outlaw Audio 950 processor, 7100 100 X 7 channel amp, their Sub Woofer and quite possibly, Klipsch F-3s (their "system.")

I had listened to RF-35s and the F3s but in less than ideal surroundings and thought I would audition them in my home (30 day return policy should help)

I do plan to use the Outlaw stuff for both music AND movies and I hope I have made wise choices given what I have to spend...I understand that if I spend a "little more" I can move up to better sounding speakers but it has to stop somewhere...I also realize that when I stop, then hear something I like better, this MAY cause me to start saving for that...we never REALLY do stop upgrading do we???

So maybe you see my dilema...since I haven't bought ANYTHING yet (Outlaw purchase site down, Holidays and all) NOTHING is carved in stone but these are my thoughts at this time and place.

Thanks for all the replies and I don't mind listening to more!

Bill

OK, well here's another one.

I have the Synergy Premiere's fini pictured above. I bought them used. I bought the C-6 center and S-6 surrounds from dealers, cheap. I also bought a truck load of KSP300's from a dealer, cheap. I, like Q-Man, really prefer multi-channel. I bought and still have several vintage tube amps that worked for a few months. I have Chorus I's and Chorus II's that are near mint that I bought used, cheap. As good as the vintage amps and speakers sound I still prefer the Synergy system driven by a Denon receiver pre with Acurus amps.

The C-6 center blends seamlessly with the KSP400 fronts, best I've ever heard. It also fits on the top of my 53" TV. The receiver-amps will drive the setup cleanly to unnecessary levels.

I love the Synergy line, hope you're happy with yours.

Keith

----------------

On 1/2/2005 10:12:38 PM silversport wrote:

T2K:

Thanks and from what I've read about your Synergys since I first saw you post those...WOW!!!...nice score...I am just now stuck in the holding pattern on the components from Outlaw Audio, then...

Bill
9.gif10.gif16.gif

----------------

Hi Bill:

I hope you noticed where I was coming from - an explanation of Vintage Lovers, the reasons Members give the advice to get them and an early congratulations on buy Synergy.

Also the point that you are buying 1 speaker for HT, others will do the same. Thus a market for a person to buy 1 for HT or 2 separate for a channel system.

The main thing is that you are buying Klipsch and hopefully will recommend Klipsch to friends.

Good Luck,

dodger

dodger:

I think I know exactly where you were coming from...I am not a young guy either...My early years were listening to Dad's HiFi Sherwood with the Eico tuner through a Utah 15" woofer with the tweeter attached...My father spoke highly of Klipsch especially KlipscHorns...when I purchased my KG2s, I felt I bought a little bit of that...Now when looking for new speakers for HT, my older brother who has Heresy's said "Look at Magnepans" (I think he wanted me to be a Beta tester for his second system 9.gif ) well I responded with "I have been happy with my KGs...WISHING they were KHorns but why not Klipsch says I.

I came here and got a lot of information that was REALLY HELPFUL...much of it from you and others here...I am saddened that when I bought the KG2s in 1992 there were MANY places around Chicago that had Klipsch speakers on sale for me to hear...today I must travel a bit to hear References and who knows where I could hear Heritages...and Chicago is no small market...

Anyway, I thank EVERYONE for their input and whether or not I agree with it or not, I am still learning!

Thanks,

Bill