Jazz music

DrWho

There's a lot of jazz buffs on this forum so I figured y'all would be the best group to ask...

A while back there was this dude that pulled up in a van across the street just after I had pulled up to my house. There was a truck behind the van with a generator in the back, connected to the van. It naturally caught my attention and I made myself look busy in my car while I waited to see what was going on anticipating some crime or something I dunno. A few minutes later, I see a girl come out of her house carrying birthday balloons and then the coolest jazz sound started blasting from the van...first playing happy birthday done in a wild jazz rendition and then the mix went on to play quite a bit of other freaken amazing songs. The girl was freaken surprised, but so was I. I wanted to know where one would go about finding music like that and I would have gone up and asked them if it wasn't for the special occasion.

Ever since I have been trying to hunt down some similar music but I haven't the first clue where to start and I've found nothing. Everything I've come across has been wild trumpet stuff or has a "big band" sound and all that. I'm not even sure if what I heard would be considered jazz or blues or what. All I know is it was laid back kickin awesome with a hard groove (no lyrics at all).

Ideally, I want to hear some audio samples since listening is going to be the only way I can know if it's the right thing. However, that's asking a bit much so I was hoping some of you guys could share some names that you feel fits the description.

There's so much jazz (and different types of jazz) out there that it's hard to go on that alone. I've suggested buying a CD called "The Best Blue Note Album In The World.......Ever." It has many of the label's top seller's over the years and can give you an idea of what artists and styles you may like.

I'm sure there are a few versions out there but I have an LP from Illinois Jacquet called "Birthday Party" which has a cool version of Happy Birthday on it. I seriously doubt it's the one you heard but it's a great album nonetheless.

If you have digital cable or satillite, listen to the jazz channel. They play all varieties of jazz from the classics to the new recordings. I've taken to writing down the names and albums of the sounds that I like and if I'm in a spending mood, I'll do a Google and Amazon search to find it.

I'd love to get a look/listen to Gary's collection! Never mind Allan's.3.gif

Rick

can you pinpoint the sound style a little more? Was it hip-hopish? What were main instruments, tempo, vocal style. There is something I like called Acid Jazz (aficianados, think Miles Davis Doo-Bop) with heavy bass line, jazz instruments, but almost Jimi Hendrix type melody.

educating oneself musically in a new direction is always an interesting path.

Michael

Ya, I've listened to those stations and don't care for any of the music they play. I wish I could find an audio clip somewhere to give you guys a sample, but I can't find anything. I watch a lot of movies and I know I've heard it before so I'll try to pay more attention.

To give a better description, it's the kind of music that makes you want to dance because of the hard strong goovin beat, but it's definetly jazz (I woudln't call it techno at all). Not to be racist, but I picture a "black pimp daddy" type of character listening to this kind of music (it has no hint of rap). Soul fusion jazz? Let me know if this helps any, lol.

There's so much good jazz out there it's hard to know where to start. Those Blue Note and Verve jazz compilations are a good start. When you find the artist you like, you could buy their albums.

Try some Spyro Gyra. Kinda funky stuff, modern with a great beat. No big trumpets etc. You might like it.