RVX-54 or RF-35

WaltnSC

Hi everyone. I need some opinions b/f I go crazy!!! Well, I started with pair of SF-2's and was at my local dealer to audition the reference line. I really like the sound of the RF-35's so my friend picked up a set. He had a couple set's of the RVX-54's in the back. I really like the way these look but was unable to audition them against the 35's.

Since the RVX's are new I really haven't been able to find any opinions. He made me an unbelievable deal on the pair so I brought them home. I will say they're a step up from the SF-2's but it's killing me b/c I keep wondering would the 35's sound better? My friend doesn't want to bring his speakers over in fear of scratching them but for the money I could have the RF-35's and RC-35 for the price of the two RVX's.

I'm sure the RF's would have a better base response but that's what my PC Plus is for. I plan on pickup up a nice 2 or 3 channel amp in 6-7 months and that may really wake these speakers up.

I'm currently using an HK AVR230, SC-1 and SS1's.

I guess I'm looking for someone to tell me to quit worrying and not to worry about my purchase..haha

Walt,

I could be wrong, but I think you're the First person -here on the Board that has these speakers.....there hasn't been much talk about these. For Comparison here is the link to let you see the Spec's on these. Bottom line though - Do You like them!

Congrats, and welcome to the Nut House!

http://www.klipsch.com/product/comparison.aspx?line=ref&type=f

i have heard both pair of speakers. never heard them both at the same time though. all i can say is WOW!! the rvx54's kick major @ss for there size. huge sound stage and great imaging. i thought they had pretty good low end my self. having that array makes a big difference imo. you should compare and decide for yourself.

good luck,

scp53

note- i think either pair sounds great. can't go wrong

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a pair of RVX-54, RVX-42 and 2 RSX-4. The RVX-54 is so powerful and efficient. It has incredible high and low frequency output! The power of RVX54 makes the RVX-42 and the satellite speakers mute. The sound clarity is amazing. The difference between 54 and 42 is huge.

The RF-35s will likely sound better, by how much is another question altogether. That being said, the difference in the size of the speakers and the looks might be more important to you than the difference in sound quality.

If you're not going for the thin-silverish look, I'd say get the RF-35s.

Im saving up for the 54's, but I can pretty much guess they wont have the bass extension of the 35's but they probably have better midrage, and definitely better soundstage. If you mix them with a subwoofer and get the crossover just perfect, I'm guessing you wont even notice thier lack of bass extension.

I also asked a Klipsch representative who has heard the 54's if my RCX-4 would be a good center over the RVX-42. They both have the same drivers and number of them. I was told the RCX-4 would be perfect and there was virtually no need to change it. However, I have yet to heard both speakers to compare them.

I wondered about the RCX4 and the RVX42 too. Although the drivers are the same I believe that with the larger cabinet the RVX42 is likely to sound fuller as a result. I'll try to demo them this week and will get back on this when I do.

----------------

On 1/17/2005 3:47:46 AM 007 wrote:

Im saving up for the 54's, but I can pretty much guess they wont have the bass extension of the 35's but they probably have better midrage, and definitely better soundstage. If you mix them with a subwoofer and get the crossover just perfect, I'm guessing you wont even notice thier lack of bass extension.

I also asked a Klipsch representative who has heard the 54's if my RCX-4 would be a good center over the RVX-42. They both have the same drivers and number of them. I was told the RCX-4 would be perfect and there was virtually no need to change it. However, I have yet to heard both speakers to compare them.

----------------

yes, please tell me what you think. The RCX-4 has dual ports in the rear and is fairly deep. So I'm not sure that the volume difference is that great, however Klipsch claims the RVX-42 hits 75 while the RCX is 92. Thats 20+ hrz deeper.

EDIT: NM, the 42's are only rated at 92hrz, the 54's were 75

I'm heading out tonight to see them, and also to check out the Mythos line (can I say that here?) Based on the listening I've done with the RF series, I am very eager to hear the RVX line. B&W also has a FP line and I should check those out too but the RF series was so superior to the 600 series I'm not sure I'll bother.

Juduging by the dementinos, the rcx looks to have more volume. but its hard to tell without seeing both speakers

rcx-4 rvx-42

FREQUENCY RESPONSE:

92Hz-20kHz ±3dB 92-20kHz±3dB

SENSITIVITY:

94dB @ 2.83V / 1 meter 94dB @ 2.83 volts / 1m

ENCLOSURE TYPE:

Bass-reflex via dual rear-mounted ports Bass-reflex via dual side-firing ports

HF CROSSOVER:

2100 Hz 2175Hz

WOOFER:

Two 4" (10.16cm) Two 4" (10.2cm

TWEETER:

1" (2.5cm) 1" (2.5cm)

DIMENSIONS:

5.5" x 14.5" x 8.25"(without base) 24" x 5.75" x 4.5" (vertical without pedestal base)

WEIGHT:

8 lbs. (3.6kg) 14 lbs.

My guess is this, If you need something slim for a wall mount, then the RVX-42 is necessary

Otherwise if you need the space and the depth is not an issue, then the RCX-4 would be ideal.

If size is no object, get RC-XX

I was able to get in front of the RVX54, RVX42 and RCX4 last night. Unfortunately, the RVX's were not broken in at all and I'll be back on the 29th to hear them when they are.

The RVX54 is a beefy looking speaker, not a pencil thin B&O wannabe. The RVX42 is compact but matches its aesthetic. IMO, the RCX4 looks like a toy next to the RVX54. Compare the RVX54, RVX42 and RCX4:

RVX54: (4) 5 1/4" woofer, 49.25" x 7" x 6.5"

RVX42: (2) 4" woofer, 24" x 5.8" x 4.5"

RCX4: (2) 4' woofer, 14.5' x 5.4" x 8.4"

My salesman said he had heard Klipsch demo the RVX54/ RVX42 with RSX4's in the rear and it sounded great. The Klipsch site lists the RVX42 as the LCR match to the RVX54. I suppose to save a few clams you could mate an RCX4 with the RVX54 but speaking for myself I'd get the RVX42 which was designed to go with it and matches its aesthetic.

----------------

On 1/17/2005 6:45:28 PM 007 wrote:

Juduging by the dementinos, the rcx looks to have more volume. but its hard to tell without seeing both speakers

rcx-4 rvx-42

FREQUENCY RESPONSE:

92Hz-20kHz ±3dB 92-20kHz±3dB

SENSITIVITY:

94dB @ 2.83V / 1 meter 94dB @ 2.83 volts / 1m

ENCLOSURE TYPE:

Bass-reflex via dual rear-mounted ports Bass-reflex via dual side-firing ports

HF CROSSOVER:

2100 Hz 2175Hz

WOOFER:

Two 4" (10.16cm) Two 4" (10.2cm

TWEETER:

1" (2.5cm) 1" (2.5cm)

DIMENSIONS:

5.5" x 14.5" x 8.25"(without base) 24" x 5.75" x 4.5" (vertical without pedestal base)

WEIGHT:

8 lbs. (3.6kg) 14 lbs.

My guess is this, If you need something slim for a wall mount, then the RVX-42 is necessary

Otherwise if you need the space and the depth is not an issue, then the RCX-4 would be ideal.

If size is no object, get RC-XX

----------------